Courtesy bus at the ports

john101446

Shuttles for ports depend on both the cruise line and the port. Sometimes the port or city will provide free shuttles. Sometimes the tour operator will provide shuttles either charged to the passenger or the cruise line may cover the cost. Sometimes a third party operator will provide shuttles for a fee. Cruiseportwiki dot com has port guides with your port location and an indication if shuttles may be provided.

The fees are sometimes quite reasonable, like two Euros or so.

Also be sure to check Cruise Critic for each port. Sometimes public transportation is extremely inexpensive and convenient. I know in Naples we took a public bus for I believe two or three Euros all the way from the dock to Pompeii. The bus was beautiful, clean, and air conditioned and only three blocks from the dock. DH found that little secret on Cruise Critic.

On our last Med cruise we had an excellent Port Lecturer named Joe May who gave us wonderful trips about independent travel.

Edited by PunkiC

Please tell us your ports....we did the Grand Med. Itinerary last summer on the Royal (the itinerary the Regal is doing this summer) and I don't remember any free shuttles. There were boat shuttles in Venice and Toulon, but both had a cost. Our sailing missed Mykynos due to high seas so can't comment on that. No other ports had shuttles.

I don't recall paying 1 Euro but I could be wrong - I thought we just showed our ID. The pick up was in the parking lot of the port and in town it was on a side street off the main square area (hard to find). They didn't publize it much.

Edited by worldtraveller