Self Service Laundry on Ruby

wendyatpml

We spent 31 days on the Ruby Princess and used the self service laundry several times. There is a small sink area in the laundry room. Under the sink there is a bucket. We were advised by a crew member to fill the bucket a couple of times and add the water to the washer while the water is first coming into the machine. The water comes in at a very slow rate and adding the water from the sink helps to cut down on the time needed to get your wash load started. Once the load begins, you do not need to add water at any other time. Also, you don't need to use the same amount of laundry detergent that you would use at home because of the softness of the water onboard. I used about half of the normal amount I would use at home. The dryers seem to take a bit longer than the washers.

Sandie

Bring your own quarters, and soap if possible.

I Followed a blog that was recommended by other cruisers on here and

the blogger posted many times about having laundry, mostly T shirts, sent back with little holes in it. They use an industrial washer on the ship so that was thought to be the cause of the holes.

Bring your own quarters, and soap if possible.

I Followed a blog that was recommended by other cruisers on here and

the blogger posted many times about having laundry, mostly T shirts, sent back with little holes in it. They use an industrial washer on the ship so that was thought to be the cause of the holes.

Thanks ! Guess I'll bring some quarters & detergent :)

Thanks ! Guess I'll bring some quarters & detergent :)

If you can find the Purex sheets in your area, they travel so nicely. Detergent and softener on one sheet, you put in washer, and then transfer with wet clothes to dryer. And they smell nice. I just pack some in a ziplock, along with some type of stain removing stick just in case. The little Tide to Go ones work well IMHO.

Thanks ! Hadn't thought of that.

Where do you find the purex sheets ?

Unfortunately, I believe the Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets have been discontinued. You still find them on Ebay and Amazon which is the only places I have located them and they do state discontinued product on Ebay. They do work really good.

Unfortunately, I believe the Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets have been discontinued. You still find them on Ebay and Amazon which is the only places I have located them and they do state discontinued product on Ebay. They do work really good.

Not sure about that we just purchased some. However I have heard some comments about them causing stains. :(

Not sure about that we just purchased some. However I have heard some comments about them causing stains. :(

Hmm...I have looked all over for them...can't find them anywhere. Maybe just discontinued in the East? Even Purex states discontinued. Googled it again to make sure and still stating discontinued item. The only place I can find them online is at Ebay and Amazon and they want too much IMHO.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Hmm...I have looked all over for them...can't find them anywhere. Maybe just discontinued in the East? Even Purex states discontinued. Googled it again to make sure and still stating discontinued item. The only place I can find them online is at Ebay and Amazon and they want too much IMHO.

Maybe it was old stock left over.

First, I never brought quarters from home. Way too heavy. I'd carry some $1's with me and when I happened to be near the PSD, I'd get quarters. Couldn't have been easier.

Second, I've sent out all of my clothes, including "unmentionables," to the laundry for years, even linen shirts and pants, cashmere and cotton tops, etc., and the only problem has been an occasional broken button.

Edited by Pam in CA

Tide Pods are very easy to carry; I just put them in a zipper bag.

I used to put Tide powder in a zipper bag years ago, but now I don't want to risk my luggage searched because of a bag of white powder.