Can I Bring My Own Limes

time2cruise1

FYI there is currently a huge lime shortage. Prices gave gone from $14 a case to $100. Here is a statement from NCL

In a statement recently released, Norweigan Cruise Line said: "The use of limes on board has been drastically reduced until the situation improves."

FYI there is currently a huge lime shortage. Prices gave gone from $14 a case to $100. Here is a statement from NCL

In a statement recently released, Norweigan Cruise Line said: "The use of limes on board has been drastically reduced until the situation improves."

I read in the news yesterday that there may be a potential bacon shortage (seriously!) due to some illness in baby pigs. Can you imagine??

I read in the news yesterday that there may be a potential bacon shortage (seriously!) due to some illness in baby pigs. Can you imagine??

Yes, I heard that on the news last night. Not only a shortage but a price increase in bacon as well.

Harriet

Yes, I heard that on the news last night. Not only a shortage but a price increase in bacon as well.

Harriet

Right and it can't be cured with Maple Syrup or Beer, so sad...:p :eek:

My guess is that you can. On NCL website:

"For the protection of all of our guests, it is not permissible to bring aboard any food items that would require preparation by the ship’s staff, or food items that would require cold storage in our kitchen facilities."

You don't need them to prep anything and you can keep them cold in your own fridge. Worse case scenario is that they'll take it.

I do know, however, that you can't bring on or take off any fruit to or from any ports you visit.

Let us know how it worked out for you.

Harriet

My guess is that you can. On NCL website:

"For the protection of all of our guests, it is not permissible to bring aboard any food items that would require preparation by the ship’s staff, or food items that would require cold storage in our kitchen facilities."

You don't need them to prep anything and you can keep them cold in your own fridge. Worse case scenario is that they'll take it.

I do know, however, that you can't bring on or take off any fruit to or from any ports you visit.

Let us know how it worked out for you.

Harriet

Probably not. As part of the USPH food sanitation program, all food used onboard must be from approved sources, so if NCL cannot document where you got the limes from (and where the retailer got them from) they would also not be allowed. Note that also, any "ready to eat" fruit like limes, lemons, oranges, and vegetables used in salads, etc, must be refrigerated once received onboard, and must be sanitized in a 10ppm sodium hypochlorite solution before being place out for consumption. This is why generally, only sealed, factory packaged, ready to eat foods are allowed to be brought onboard.

As you say, the worst they can do is take them.

Probably not. As part of the USPH food sanitation program, all food used onboard must be from approved sources, so if NCL cannot document where you got the limes from (and where the retailer got them from) they would also not be allowed. Note that also, any "ready to eat" fruit like limes, lemons, oranges, and vegetables used in salads, etc, must be refrigerated once received onboard, and must be sanitized in a 10ppm sodium hypochlorite solution before being place out for consumption. This is why generally, only sealed, factory packaged, ready to eat foods are allowed to be brought onboard.

I highly doubt NCL is going to scan their bag looking for limes. They are looking for alcohol and drugs.

I don't think OP is intending to have NCL prepare the limes for them. They just want to cut some themselves and put them in their drinks. Can store the cut pieces in the mini fridge.

If that's the case, I might as well just crawl under a rock and die.

I highly doubt NCL is going to scan their bag looking for limes. They are looking for alcohol and drugs.

I don't think OP is intending to have NCL prepare the limes for them. They just want to cut some themselves and put them in their drinks. Can store the cut pieces in the mini fridge.

This is on the NCL website under FAQ's What can't I bring onboard?:Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard.

That means fruits, vegetable or anything else which is not packaged and sealed.

Want to bring Limes, bring Limes, but.... :eek:

They are also looking for guns, explosives, incendiaries, disallowed electrical appliances, unsealed food, and generally anything that doesn't look "right" to the scanner. Will they wonder why your golf balls have small protrusions on both ends?

Can you get away with smuggling alcohol onboard? Sure, see how many threads there are about it. Could you get away with bringing limes onboard? Sure. Could you lose both items? Yep.

I'm just stating the regulations, not making judgments about whether to do it or not.

In my supermarket they do sell organic whole limes in sealed bags...maybe those would pass? They will probably substitute with lemons...but corona with lemon just does not seem right. :p

Guess I will have to order Blue Moon with a slice of orange. :D

Sometimes when we travel we use a product called TrueLime, and TrueLemon, and TrueOrange. You can find it in the grocery near either the lemonade/ tea, the individual bottle packets of lemonade, or in the baking section. It is freeze dried crystalized juice. Works great in iced tea, soda, seltzer, etc. They have a website as well. Good luck.

Forget Noro, I foresee an outbreak of scurvy onboard. :D;)

Nah, they will just increase the amount of onions or sauerkraut being served. Both work as well as limes, but do increase the gas output.:p

Go Sox.

Nah, they will just increase the amount of onions or sauerkraut being served. Both work as well as limes, but do increase the gas output.:p

Go Sox.

There's potential there....... a fuel source that is totally sustainable.:p

This is on the NCL website under FAQ's What can't I bring onboard?:Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard.

That means fruits, vegetable or anything else which is not packaged and sealed.

Want to bring Limes, bring Limes, but.... :eek:

Opps, I didn't see that.

Harriet

And then use them onboard, what a way to bring down their bottom line lol. Brilliant ! ! :eek:

cheers...the Ump...:D