Passport Renewals?

iflyrc5

My husband and I sent in our passports together in the same Express Mail envelope. We got them back separately and our numbers are not in sequence. There is not only a gap of several numbers between them but they also were not processed on the same day so have different expiration dates. .????

We mail ours in separate Priority Mail envelopes....because that's what the clerk at the Post Office told us we had to do.....and got them back in two separate envelopes on the same day 21 days later. We actually were surprised, our passport numbers are sequential with Mrs. K's last digit one higher than mine. Same issue and expiration date. Go figure...... :)

Strange. We definitely did not get our old ones back.

I apologize if I gave someone wrong information, but when we renewed our passports, we got neither the old passport or the old passport card back. The odds of the government doing something different than it says on their website must be practically zero... ;)

Since they are supposed to be sent back but you didn't get them, I would think they were lost. Which is disturbing.

I just looked at my old passport. There are 2 holes punched only in the front cover where my picture is. Also they stapled the extra new picture to the page where I signed the passport. No words "cancelled" anywhere on it.

I opened our safe last night....this thread made me think about double checking that our new passports were where I thought they were.....and took a look at our old passports. Our old, old passport that we replaced some ten years ago is both punched and stamped "cancelled" while our old passport, the one we replaced late last summer, is simply punched with no stamp. Could be nothing more than a choice by the agent who handled the renewal and return process. It would take some gutsy person to try to use an expired and punched passport to travel but stranger things have been reported. On the other hand on our last trip outside the US we experienced everything from relatively close examination of our passports to barely glancing at the cover much less the inside.

Thanks for all the input. Ours were processed on the same day but the numbers are over 100,000 apart (only the first 3 are the same). Also noticed that these have a chip and the covers are much stiffer and thicker. Got the new ones back in 14 days - will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the old one's back.