Where to Eat in SJ?

kyleg2949

I can only speak of places in OSJ, not the Condado area. We ate at Mojitos - recommended by our hotel. It is at 323 Recinto Sur, a very easy walk from the dock. This is the real deal, great menu selection, very reasonable, full of locals. We just asked our waitress to make a suggestion, and she did; good pick!

Yesterday we ate at Punto Vista, across from the docks. Although the food was good, comparing it with some of the other places we've been, it was just ok, a bit more touristy than we like,

We always try La Casita Blanca. It is about 12 minutes from OSJ, and is very highly rated for authentic local food. Prices are really fair and food is amazing. Fun atmosphere and a very lgood chance to eat what the locals eeat. Check trip advisor and see how many good reviews they get.

Also, are there any restaurants around the port?

Thanks to someone here on CC, we ate at Cafe Berlin which is a 10-min walk from the port. You can see them on google maps.

They are very reasonable. Here is their website which shows their prices:

http://www.cafeberlinpr.com/

Service was exceptional and the food was great too.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Hilton Condado Village and ate at two places within a 5 minute walk from the hotel that we really enjoyed.

Ropa Vieja Grill - http://www.ropaviejagrill.com/

Probably the best meal of our stay in San Juan, and the most reasonable. My wife had the shredded beef mofongo and I had the shrimp and garlic mofongo and both were fantastic!

Casa Lola - http://casalolarestaurant.com/

More expensive than Ropa Vieja Grill, but still reasonable. I had paella and my wife had a braised brisket dish and both were excellent.

Any suggestions on where to eat in SJ? Not necessarily expensive restaurants. More of local places to get local food. We are staying in the Condado Beach area. Thanks.

Orozco's. On Ashford in the Condado area. True PR food with very reasonable prices. Not at all fancy and there is often a small line. Worth waiting for.

We ate there on a Friday night in March and the had a musician who was very good. We were just walking along and stopped because the music was good. We waited at least 15 minutes for a table but they did let my husband in so he could grab a couple beers from the bar. No problem waiting with drink in hand:) and a good sax player.

Edit: For a great breakfast try the Atlantic hotel. Beachfront for breakfast. Hard to beat.

Edited by monicajay

• 5 months later...
Any suggestions on where to eat in SJ? Not necessarily expensive restaurants. More of local places to get local food. We are staying in the Condado Beach area. Thanks.

Hmm, where in Condado are you staying? Depending on how far east, would depend on what your choices are.. I know 2 GREAT restaurants if you are staying middle to east Condado, off Loiza.

Hmm, where in Condado are you staying? Depending on how far east, would depend on what your choices are.. I know 2 GREAT restaurants if you are staying middle to east Condado, off Loiza.

Yes, this is not a new post, but does not mean someone else cant benefit...sorry for the delay

We stayed at the Hilton Condado Village and ate at two places within a 5 minute walk from the hotel that we really enjoyed.

Ropa Vieja Grill - http://www.ropaviejagrill.com/

Probably the best meal of our stay in San Juan, and the most reasonable. My wife had the shredded beef mofongo and I had the shrimp and garlic mofongo and both were fantastic!

Casa Lola - http://casalolarestaurant.com/

More expensive than Ropa Vieja Grill, but still reasonable. I had paella and my wife had a braised brisket dish and both were excellent.

We will be in the HI Exp Condado for 3 nights starting next Wednesday (10/29/14.) I was wondering about where to eat. So thank you so much Ron!! Your post had 2 things of interest, besides the reasonable part: I want to try Mofongo and I LOVE paella!!