Pamakkule Query - Kusadasi shore excursion

nekzaadvakil

Hello,

We're on the Celebrity Silhouette in June and we're planning on taking the shore excursion to Pamakkule, when we dock in Kusadasi. Since its a 3 hour long drive (180 kms) we're safer off taking the shore excursion from Celebrity even though its more expensive ($130 pp).

Here's my query. I also have my parents with me (in their 60s) and was wondering if there is any strenuous walking/ stairs that is involved. Has anyone been to Pamakkule (from Kusadasi) and can share their experience with me?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

This is a long way to go from the ship. Yes I would take the ships tour to be on the safe side. I went to Pamakkule over 30 years ago before it was spoiled the tourists. Beautiful place. The buses then stopped at the top and it was slightly hilly, but not unreasonably so.

I would google some pics and also post on the Port guide section of CC.

I visited Pamukkale but not on a ship tour. I was more interested in the Roman ruins at the site (ancient city of Hierapolis), and in order to see them there was quite a bit of walking involved along terrain that was uneven and in places overgrown or rocky. There is a small museum near where the buses drop off with some of the finds from the site.

However, if you just want to see Pamukkale, walking shouldn't be a problem. There is a flat area where the buses tend to pull in and drop off. If you actually want to get into the water (it was allowed in a few places when I was there, although it may not be any more as our guide told us that people were becoming concerned about preservation of the site), the footing can be a little tricky and I would recommend wearing some kind of water shoe.

I went to Pamukkale last year while I was on a 2 week land tour.
You will be dropped off at the top. It is amazing...looks like snow but isn't.
There is an optional area to walk down a slope to get to the bottom. This area looks like the original pools but is man-made. You can no longer go down the natural terraces. It was fun. However, the area is a little rough and you can't wear shoes. Some areas are slippery and caution is needed. If your parents are in relatively in good health and no balance issues, should be fine. Just tell them to take their time!
Don't forget the ruins! Easy walking around there. Enjoy your port visit