Double Tree by Hilton Boston Downtown?

Puffs

We originally had the Embassy Suites booked for 6 in a room on Oct. 18th but then added two to our traveling party. Since we no longer needed the room for 6, I booked 2 rooms at Double Tree. We will be staying one night pre cruise. I am wondering if I made a poor choice. We are a group with a few older ladies ie..70&80. None require walkers or canes and are in good health. So if anyone can answer here are a couple questions;

1. Is the hotel in a safe area? It is supposed to be on the edge of the Theatre district close to Chinatown.

2. Will there be much to do in walking distance? Our plane gets in at 2pm so we should have some time that evening.

3. The hotel does not have a shuttle bus. Are there shuttle companies that would pick us up at the airport take us to the hotel and then to port the next day? We are a group of 8.

4. Can we and how hard would it be to take the T to the hotel. We have never been to Boston before and would really appreciate any advice.

Ok a couple more than a few questions:)

Hmm, I can't think of where this one is. According to their website, they are right next to the Tufts Medical Center T stop. Most Boston hotels do not have shuttles. To get to the hotel via the T, take the Silver Line to South Station, then transfer to the Red Line to Downtown Crossing, then to the Orange Line to Tufts Medical Center. It would probably be easier to take a taxi.

We originally had the Embassy Suites booked for 6 in a room on Oct. 18th but then added two to our traveling party. Since we no longer needed the room for 6, I booked 2 rooms at Double Tree. We will be staying one night pre cruise. I am wondering if I made a poor choice. We are a group with a few older ladies ie..70&80. None require walkers or canes and are in good health. So if anyone can answer here are a couple questions;

1. Is the hotel in a safe area? It is supposed to be on the edge of the Theatre district close to Chinatown.

2. Will there be much to do in walking distance? Our plane gets in at 2pm so we should have some time that evening.

3. The hotel does not have a shuttle bus. Are there shuttle companies that would pick us up at the airport take us to the hotel and then to port the next day? We are a group of 8.

4. Can we and how hard would it be to take the T to the hotel. We have never been to Boston before and would really appreciate any advice.

Ok a couple more than a few questions:)

The Doubletree is next to Tufts Medical Center where my husband works. He has stayed there overnight in bad weather. It is on the edge of the Theater district and close to Chinatown. He says it is safe at night, but the streets can be dark.

Boston Common is about 4 blocks away. The hotel is right by the Tufts Medical Center T Station where you can take the Orange Line direction Oak Grove (inbound) to Haymarket which is the stop for Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. You can take the Orange Line direction Forest Hills(outbound) one stop to Back Bay which will put you in walking distance of the Back Bay area - Copley Place, Prudential shops, and Newbury Street.

Don't know about shuttle companies. If you want to take the free T ride from the Airport, I would go to South Station on the Silver Line and split up to take multiple cabs to the Doubletree. IMO you do not want to try to negotiate the transfer from the Red Line to the Orange Line at Downtown Crossing with luggage. You will save yourselves money by not taking cabs into town from the airport. From the hotel I would plan to take cabs directly to the port - the fare would be competitive with the cost of a cab back to South Station and the Silver Line Sl2 to Black Falcon.

If you do go to South Station, I would try to find a T employee there who can give you a few hard plastic Charlie Cards. This will reduce your T fare from $2.50 to $2.00. You load money onto the card and multiple people can ride, so if you put $16 on one card, all eight of you can use it.

Edited by 138east

Don't know if this will be much help to the OP but I saw rooms for 4 adults at the Hyatt Harborfront for your date for $171/room on last minute travel. If you called they would probably improve that rate a bit. The thought of getting a group of 8 that includes cruise luggage and seniors around town on public transit doesn't sound like much fun to me. The Hyatt will pick you all up at the airport with a complimentary shuttle. Once you have everyone settled and luggage unloaded you could walk over to the water taxi or take the complimentary shuttle to public transit if you wanted to go over to the North End or Back Bay. Or you could just relax at the hotel and take in the lovely view across the harbor and have dinner at the hotel. Then on cruise day it is a short cab ride to Black Falcon.

That's a great deal. The OP was going to stay at Embassy Suites and this is a step up and better location at the airport. If they ride the Silver Line, they can go in town for free and only pay for the outbound trip if they like. Otherwise they can take the free airport shuttle to the Blue Line and go two stops to Faneuil Hall.

If they can roll their luggage, they can also go to Black Falcon on the Silver Line for free. They would take the hotel shuttle back to one of the airport terminals, take the free Silver Line to the World Trade Center indoor stop (not the street stop - tell the driver you want the indoor stop), use the escalators(up), and the elevator (down) to cross over to the other direction, and take the SL2 Silver Line to Black Falcon.

Thanks for all the help to everyone. I will check on the Hyatt Harborfront. I know I checked prices on several hotels but don't remember that one. We got the Double Tree for 265.00 a room so that would be a great price!

Don't dawdle. Oct 18 is the Head of the Charles weekend and you must have a firm plan. If the Hyatt Harborside doesn't work out, look at Hotwire Waterfront/Convention Center 4* hotel for $253 + tax for four people/room. This is likely to be the Westin Waterfront and is one of the closest hotels to the pier. It is easily accessible via the free Silver Line at the World Trade Center stop.