Epic Courtyard Sundeck - Adults only?

albertamom

Everyone talks about Posh as the place to be if you are a Villa guest and want to soak up the sun. We, however, have teens in our group who also love to lay out in the sun. Is there an upper deck off the courtyard area where they would be welcome? Thanks so much! :)

They are welcome in the Haven pool area. Sun is limited there since it is surrounded by 4 walls but it is a good area on a sunny day. Posh is over 18. But if you leave the Haven there are other forward sundecks just around the corner of Posh.

But if you want to stay in the Haven, then just use the Haven pool area.

They are welcome in the Haven pool area. Sun is limited there since it is surrounded by 4 walls but it is a good area on a sunny day. Posh is over 18. But if you leave the Haven there are other forward sundecks just around the corner of Posh.

But if you want to stay in the Haven, then just use the Haven pool area.

Thanks for replying, but definitely not the answer I was hoping for. :(

I've heard stories about the Haven pool area being very noisy and crowded at times. If that's the case, it would be nice for us to have a quiet spot to hang out together and look out over the ocean. The deck plan on NCL shows one little courtyard sundeck in the middle on Deck 18 (I'm assuming not ocean-view), two public sundecks on either side, Posh at the back, and a "sundeck" at the front. Is that forward sundeck for courtyard guests only? Are the public sundecks on Deck 18 generally quieter than the ones on the lower decks?

If you are unhappy about the Haven surroundings there are great sundecks out of the Haven. There is a public sundeck next to Posh that is available to everyone.

Don't make assumptions about the Haven area until you are on board. Your entire family could be quite happy sunning there by the pool. If you don't like the Haven area, then I highly doubt you will like the public areas because they will be much more crowded.

Sun decks further away from the main pools and slides are much more quiet. I don't think you should be too concerned about this until you are on board. I think you will find the most quiet sun and pool area is the Haven no matter how crowded.

Edited by david_sobe

Is that forward sundeck for courtyard guests only? Are the public sundecks on Deck 18 generally quieter than the ones on the lower decks?

When the ship first came out, it was private sun deck for Haven (then Courtyard) passengers. On my last Epic cruise in 2013 it was open to all passengers. It seems that the deck plans were modified to reflect this change as well.

2010 Deck Plan

ScreenShot2014-04-12at102120PM_zpse7f86f4d.png

Current Deck Plan

ScreenShot2014-04-12at101848PM_zpsc729e047.png

Although it does see quite a bit of action during sunny sea days, it's definitely quieter than the sun decks lower down near the pools. Children tend to run and play in and around water, so this area doesn't have much appeal for them.

DSC_4483_zps89b82423.jpg

L1110095_zps58795433.jpg

The same goes for the public sun decks that flank the Haven courtyard. Generally a lot quieter and kid-free than the pool deck.

DSC_4500_zps99059587.jpg

This is the private Haven sun deck on deck 18. It's really small and, since its located directly over the courtyard area, any noise from the pool can be heard here as well. The large wall located on the deck above and behind the mast (visible in the upper right hand corner of this photo) is a windbreak meant to cut down on wind in the courtyard, but it also keeps this small sun deck from receiving much sun.

L1110276_zps60cbd1ed.jpg

Edited by barnacle_boy

Sorry to butt in, i will be buying posh passes again hopefully for my med cruise, but how dose one access the forward sun deck

The forward "now public" sun deck is accessed via the sun decks either side of the courtyard. These are accessed via stairs starboard side stairwell or starboard outdoor glass lift from the main deck near great outdoors.

Thank you for your reassurance, David. I'm sure that I am overthinking this, but I'm a big planner. I've convinced my sister and her family to join us on their first cruise, and I want them to be comfortable. I'm sure that the Haven will be just beautiful.:)

Thank you, barnacle_boy, for the great pictures. It looks like we should be able to find some loungers that face the ocean, which would be fabulous! To me, that's the "Wow" effect of being on a ship! :D

Now I just need to convince my mom and dad that they need to join us, too. After two NCL cruises, I am completely addicted, and want to share my joy with them. Wish me luck!!!;)

Thank you for your reassurance, David. I'm sure that I am overthinking this, but I'm a big planner. I've convinced my sister and her family to join us on their first cruise, and I want them to be comfortable. I'm sure that the Haven will be just beautiful.:)

Thank you, barnacle_boy, for the great pictures. It looks like we should be able to find some loungers that face the ocean, which would be fabulous! To me, that's the "Wow" effect of being on a ship! :D

Now I just need to convince my mom and dad that they need to join us, too. After two NCL cruises, I am completely addicted, and want to share my joy with them. Wish me luck!!!;)

Enjoy

The 2 bedroom suites on Epic are some of the best cabins at sea. Very elegant and full of color with modern touches.