Tipping in Ultimate Dining ?/ UDP vs. Complementary restaurant

Boscodog

Are you expected to tip on your meal in the Specialty restaurants if you purchase the ultimate dining package?

Also, is it worth getting the UDP How is the food in the complementary restaurants?

UDP is a way of paying for your meals....it has no bearing on whether or not you give a gratuity.

As the FAQ on NCL's website states...tipping (not to be confused with the DSC which is covered separately) isn't required, but is TOTALLY up to each individual.

You are free to tip or not for ANY meal (specialty or complimentary) as YOU see fit. Nobody will judge you either way.

The waiters at the specialties are part of the DSC pool aren't they?

If so, why TIP extra? Unless you feel they went above par service.

I have read here on CC that one must TIP nightly when when the UDP is purchaced. And I have read too the staff are covered by the DSC. So why the extra TIPPING?

I have read here on CC that one must TIP nightly when when the UDP is purchaced. And I have read too the staff are covered by the DSC. So why the extra TIPPING?

You've asked and answered your own question.

NCL seems to give the same answer to your question that you provided:

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our
guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service
. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

I have read here on CC that one must TIP nightly when when the UDP is purchaced.

Whoever wrote that is mistaken. Tipping in any restaurant on an NCL ship (specialty or complimentary) is NEVER expected or required. As SeaShark has pointed out, tipping (not to be confused with the DSC) is, as NCL puts it, "entirely at the discretion of our guests".

Are you expected to tip on your meal in the Specialty restaurants if you purchase the ultimate dining package?

Also, is it worth getting the UDP How is the food in the complementary restaurants?

I was not impressed with the 5 meals or the service I had in the complementary sit down restaurants I had on the Epic last Thanksgiving (Manhattan, Taste, O'Sheehans), so much so that for the first time ever, I ate some of my dinners in the buffet (which was very enjoyable). On the other hand, the 1 meal I had at La Cucina was the best meal I have ever had in any specialty restaurant on any cruise line.

UDP is a way of paying for your meals....it has no bearing on whether or not you give a gratuity.

As the FAQ on NCL's website states...tipping (not to be confused with the DSC which is covered separately) isn't required, but is TOTALLY up to each individual.

You are free to tip or not for ANY meal (specialty or complimentary) as YOU see fit. Nobody will judge you either way.

To be clear, the servers in the specialty restaurants are covered by the DSC just as the servers in the main dining rooms are covered by the DSC. You may tip extra in any restaurant if you so desire but it is not required.

If that were the case, i would cancel my UDP in a heartbeat. All servers, no matter where they work, are covered by the DSC. If you felt a server went far above and beyond, you of course may tip that server individually as well.

To be clear, the servers in the specialty restaurants are covered by the DSC just as the servers in the main dining rooms are covered by the DSC. You may tip extra in any restaurant if you so desire but it is not required.

IF you really want to be clear, you should also mention that the servers "benefit from" the DSC...as opposed t be covered by it. It should also be noted that the DSC is NOT a tip/gratuity, but a service charge.

The OP's inquiry was on TIPS...to be CLEAR, we should try to stay on topic as it will result in less confusion.

IF you really want to be clear, you should also mention that the servers "benefit from" the DSC...as opposed t be covered by it. It should also be noted that the DSC is NOT a tip/gratuity, but a service charge.

The OP's inquiry was on TIPS...to be CLEAR, we should try to stay on topic as it will result in less confusion.

Benefit from, covered by, all the same thing to me as a cruiser. And I did stay on topic by stating he may tip a server (extra above the DSC) if he/she so chooses so what's with the attitude?

BTW, I know exactly what DSC stands for.

The DSC and TIPS are ment to be the same thing. If not, why don't they hand out TIP envelops anymore?

This whole DSC TIP thing is getting rediculouse. We (at least on CC) know it (DSC) is the right thing to do. It is in loo of tipping. It is the same thing as TIPPING though, just a little more consistent for the folks receiving them. Most folks wont be missing the last dinner meal on purpose anymore. Envelopes won't be forgoten to be left to the stateroom stewards. It is now billed direct, with the option to adjust.

Edited by NH Cruisers

On land or on sea I always tip more for exemplary service...take care of me I take care of you. In a pay restaurant aboard ship the service is generally better than the MDR anyway and if it is excellent I leave extra...it's my choice and not expected so when you do your server truly appreciates it!

The DSC and TIPS are ment to be the same thing. If not, why don't they hand out TIP envelops anymore?

This whole DSC TIP thing is getting rediculouse. We (at least on CC) know it (DSC) is the right thing to do. It is in loo of tipping. It is the same thing as TIPPING though, just a little more consistent for the folks receiving them. Most folks wont be missing the last dinner meal on purpose anymore. Envelopes won't be forgoten to be left to the stateroom stewards. It is now billed direct, with the option to adjust.

Meant to be the same? How do you figure? Is there ANYPLACE where NCL states that tipping is the same as the DSC? ANYPLACE where NCL states that it is in lieu of tipping? I've asked folks from corporate directly and their view is MUCH different than yours.

Perhaps if you go back and reread the post where NCL states that tips are optional you'll get the answer to why they don't hand out envelopes anymore.

They really don't want you to have to tip....a service charge better allows them to regulate the service delivered to ALL guests.

Try a simple Google search on the Difference between a tip and a service charge. It might help shed light into the shadows.

Meant to be the same? How do you figure? Is there ANYPLACE where NCL states that tipping is the same as the DSC? ANYPLACE where NCL states that it is in lieu of tipping? I've asked folks from corporate directly and their view is MUCH different than yours.

Perhaps if you go back and reread the post where NCL states that tips are optional you'll get the answer to why they don't hand out envelopes anymore.

They really don't want you to have to tip....a service charge better allows them to regulate the service delivered to ALL guests.

Try a simple Google search on the Difference between a tip and a service charge. It might help shed light into the shadows.

Wow, you musta had a bad day. I have read everything there is to be read on this subject. It does not make clear DSC is different from TIPPING. Do you for instance leave the same TIPS as you may have prior to DSC? Or did you not TIP before? The DSC is conveiniently the same as what it would be if one tipped individually under the old guidlines. So I guess you spend $12 a day on DSC and another $12 total a day on TIPPING. Why would the fine NCL folks deserve any less TIPPING from you? DSC is TIPPING, but not to the individual but to the collective. This is all semantics. Discrestionary Sevice Charge, if it is Discrestionary it is the same as a TIP in my book.

Edited by NH Cruisers

This is just me not for everyone. On the BA cruise I took last month at the MDR we always left $6 for dinner (there were 3 of us) for breakfast $3 Cagneys and tepanyaka we left

$6. Just how we felt about our personal service. I just feel funny getting up from a table and not leaving something. Maybe because I worked as a waitress a long time ago. This by no means says anyone has to leave anything extra like I said it was my personal decision. I also tipped the bartender/drink server $1 every time I was served a drink. I also gave our room steward $20 the first day I saw him and another $30 when we left. This is all in addition to the DSC.

Edited by GeriC

We have always left $1 per person on the table in the buffet. $2 per person on the table in the complimentaries and $2 or more per person relating to our service in the specialties. It is no big deal on my part, but I know it goes a long way with the staff.

We have always left $1 per person on the table in the buffet. $2 per person on the table in the complimentaries and $2 or more per person relating to our service in the specialties. It is no big deal on my part, but I know it goes a long way with the staff.

Exactly!!!!!!

Wow, you musta had a bad day. I have read everything there is to be read on this subject. It does not make clear DSC is different from TIPPING. Do you for instance leave the same TIPS as you may have prior to DSC? Or did you not TIP before? The DSC is conveiniently the same as what it would be if one tipped individually under the old guidlines. So I guess you spend $12 a day on DSC and another $12 total a day on TIPPING. Why would the fine NCL folks deserve any less TIPPING from you? DSC is TIPPING, but not to the individual but to the collective. This is all semantics. Discrestionary Sevice Charge, if it is Discrestionary it is the same as a TIP in my book.

You must have overlooked NCL's FAQs, the definitive resource for addressing the differences between the service charge and tipping. Lo and behold there are two distinctly different FAQs, so NCL obviously believes the service charge and tipping are two distinct items. Here they are, not that I expect you to acknowledge them. Just to give you a couple of hints why there different, (1) tips are given by you directly to the crew member you wish to tip. (2) service charges are placed into a pool and are not just distributed to your wait staff and cabin steward,they are also distributed to crew members with whom you haven't had any contact and couldn't be tipped even if you wanted to because you don't know who they are. (3) part of the service charge doesn't go into employee cash compensation...it is used for employee incentive programs:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

You must have overlooked NCL's FAQs, the definitive resource for addressing the differences between the service charge and tipping. Lo and behold there are two distinctly different FAQs, so NCL obviously believes the service charge and tipping are two distinct items. Here they are, not that I expect you to acknowledge them. Just to give you a couple of hints why there different, (1) tips are given by you directly to the crew member you wish to tip. (2) service charges are placed into a pool and are not just distributed to your wait staff and cabin steward,they are also distributed to crew members with whom you haven't had any contact and couldn't be tipped even if you wanted to because you don't know who they are. (3) part of the service charge doesn't go into employee cash compensation...it is used for employee incentive programs:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

I will acknowledge this. NCL can state and twist what they say anyhow they feel. Because now there is a DSC they say we don't have to TIP. Why? Because the DSC is a collective TIP. How many folks still give out TIP envelopes at the end of a cruise? I bet the % is low. Why? Because they for the most part paid the DSC, as the TIP.

You ask the PCC. Do I need to TIP? They say no. You pay a DSC they say. And I have been told that is the TIP by PCC's. So NCL corprorate tries to spin it different. Why then don't they value their loyal employees enough to push for Tipping and the end of cruise envelope hand outs? Because even they know DSC is TIPPING to the collective. I always have TIPPED a bit more than the recommended amount, as long as I get the good service I have had in the past I will continue. I will give my room steward an extra $30 per cabin at the end of a cruise, always have. Is he/she getting jipped? I used to leave $4.25 per person per day before. That was approximatly $30 per person. Are we all a bunch of cheapscapes now? Because we for the most part don't as you say TIP anymore.

Edited by NH Cruisers

Regardless of what is in print. Nothing is obvious. What is obvious is NCL encourages TIPPING to these folks not included in the DSC (which I believe is a collective TIP).

I will acknowledge this. NCL can state and twist what they say anyhow they feel. Because now there is a DSC they say we don't have to TIP. Why? Because the DSC is a collective TIP. How many folks still give out TIP envelopes at the end of a cruise? I bet the % is low. Why? Because they for the most part paid the DSC, as the TIP.

You ask the PCC. Do I need to TIP? They say no. You pay a DSC they say. And I have been told that is the TIP by PCC's. So NCL corprorate tries to spin it different. Why then don't they value their loyal employees enough to push for Tipping and the end of cruise envelope hand outs? Because even they know DSC is TIPPING to the collective. I always have TIPPED a bit more than the recommended amount, as long as I get the good service I have had in the past I will continue. I will give my room steward an extra $30 per cabin at the end of a cruise, always have. Is he/she getting jipped? I used to leave $4.25 per person per day before. That was approximatly $30 per person. Are we all a bunch of cheapscapes now? Because we for the most part don't as you say TIP anymore.

The service charge replaces the tipping system on NCL but it is not the same as tipping for reasons I've already noted.

When you tip, the money goes directly to the crew member you tipped.

The service charge goes into a pool, and not all of it goes to the crew you would have or could have tipped as some unknown amount goes behind-the-scenes crew. Some of the service charge also goes into non-salary incentive programs.

The differences are subtle but very real and not just a matter of semantics.

Regardless of what is in print. Nothing is obvious. What is obvious is NCL encourages TIPPING to these folks not included in the DSC (which I believe is a collective TIP).

What is in print is not obvious only to those who choose to ignore it because it contradicts their ill-founded positions.

That is the great thing about this place. You can choose to believe whatever you want.

And it doesn't even have to be close to the truth.

That is the great thing about this place. You can choose to believe whatever you want.

And it doesn't even have to be close to the truth.

So the DSC is kind of like deserved raise for the loyal NCL employees. We should still TIP too? Why not just say so? If they are different I am saying.

Why doesn't NCL give us those TIP envelopes any more? Folks may forget their manners and not TIP.

Semantics is nothing but "the study of words". DSC and Tipping is Semantics. If not? We should all be TIPPING the folks waiting on us, not just a standard pay check. Thats the way it works back home anyway.

We all know the DSC thing started because "Freestyle". No longer we had the same waiters nightly. Maybe the DSC should only cover Foodservice and other behind scenes folks.