Italian Countryside and Catacombs Excursion

Texan1636

We will be stopping in Civatevecchia for a day on our Mariner Barcelona to Venice cruise this summer. We spent time in Rome 2 years ago, so we were thinking about doing something different that day and sign up for the Italian Countryside and Catacombs excursion. It looks like a very long day (9 hours), but I'm curious whether anyone here has taken that excursion and, if so, whether it would be recommended. Thanks!

We did this excursion 2 years for the very reason you stated. Here is our blog entry for that date:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/thewrens/4/1336060641/tpod.html

I would recommend this if you have already done the Rome tourist "stuff". It was nice not having to get into the Rome traffic.

Karen

Edited by txladycruiser

I do NOT recommend this excursion at all. The catacombs were fine, and pretty interesting. But our bus driver got lost after that. There is no countryside involved at all. And we didn't get lunch till after 3:00 pm due to the driver getting lost. You are better off going to Rome and doing something there.

Last September we took a tour from Mariner called Color of the Etruscans. It was a 30 minute ride through scenic countryside followed by a tour of some Etruscan burial chambers.

It ended with a stop at a local farm for some very tasty snacks and wine. Total time was about 4 hours.

We also had time to stroll in a local town, very scenic.

We did this excursion and totally enjoyed it. Our guide was fantastic and I believe a good friend to the people who owned the restaurant in the countryside. The owner showed us how to make noodles while serving us wine and cheese before our meal. The meal was marvelous as well. It was a long day but well worth it.