Window Suite/South America Questions

augies

The South American cruises I've taken were booked early and filled. They are marketed in Brazil and Argentina where it's their summer and vacation time so a good portion of the passengers are from South America. There are often lots of kids onboard if it's not a repositioning cruise to/back the USA.

There is a two part video on youtube with the window suite. Just type Princess window suite in their search window and they'll come up.

We have booked a 4 night cruise to see what we think. We also have a 10 night Alaska cruise booked in one after the 4 nighter. If we don't like it on the shortie, we'll change our longer cruise. They sure are a heck of a deal price wise. My understanding from reading here is that F311 is the best positioned one. We have 309 for the 4 nighter and 311 for the 10 nighter. My husband feels we won't miss a balcony on the Alaska one.

Since little information has been posted, I figured I'd review the suite, but our first cruise in one isn't until October.

Can anyone comment on the window suites on the Golden? Did you like or dislike it?

Also, do the South American cruises ever go on sale?

Thanks.

We had the opportunity to book a window suite on the Golden to South America recently and chose a mini-suite (which cost more money at the time) rather than the window suite. While we would have loved to have had the suite privileges, we would not have enjoyed the window suite when the weather was rough. There are many advantages to the window suite but one of the disadvantages we found when we booked one from LA to Hawaii some years back was the increased noise level. When the seas are rough, you hear a lot of noise that low from the ship's stabilizers (and thrusters at other times) in addition to the waves pounding against the side of the ship. The cabin itself wasn't rough as it is low enough and centered enough to be quite stable, but I sure found it hard to sleep on the "noisy" nights. If you're like my husband who can sleep through anything, you won't have any trouble.

I've booked F307 twice on the Golden. There was no noise, very little movement( except for 1 night when we had very bad winds) I would book it again if I don't want a balcony for a particular cruise.

We sailed in a window suite on the Grand for a crossing. We did not have a problem with noise from the stabilizers, etc. We enjoyed it very much, between the location and the perks, along with all the storage space and layout.

Once I made the mistake of booking an inside on Plaza deck about as far forward as the window suites are on Fiesta. I could not stay in that cabin - the noise was at a frequency which gave me an untreatable migraine. DH slept through it - he wears hearing aids when not asleep. Basically I was out roaming around the ship all night...all night. My tears from exhaustion at breakfast had our waiter all worried, we reassured him a number of times it was me, nothing he had or hadn't done - it would be alright. If we had not been able to move to another cabin the next day (passenger services really did come through for us on this one, they were quite understanding), we would have flown home from the first port - so when I say we didn't have a problem with noise in the window suite, I really mean it.

Pam, did you enjoy the South America cruise? We are looking at 14 day Cape Horn from BA to Santiago in January 2015.
I've taken this itinerary on both Princess and HAL and enjoyed it both times. However, to be honest, my HAL cruise and itinerary was MUCH better than on the Golden. Smaller ship, fewer passengers, better port experiences and more scenic fjord cruising. It ranks among the best three cruises I've ever taken. HAL isn't for everyone, though.

A couple of years ago, we booked the Star Princess repositioning cruise from Santiago to San Francisco and I debated adding the Buenos Aires to Santiago leg. Rejected it because I just didn't want to do this itinerary on such a large ship.

That's just my personal opinion. The Golden is a nice ship and it's a good itinerary. No matter what you book, book your Falkland tour ASAP since resources there are very limited and if you wait or delay, you'll be out of options. There are just so many vehicles on the island.

Edited by Pam in CA

We had a window suite on a British Isles cruise. It was actually slightly less in price than a mini suite. We loved it. The size and all the amenities were great. The location was good and it was in a quiet hallway .mwhen the seas were rough, an they were rough quite a few times on that cruise, you could hear noise from the stabilizers or something . There was very little movement in the cabin when the seas were rough,probably because the deck is low and the cabins are midship. The noise did not bother me, but I am also hard of hearing.. I would take that cabin again if it was available. But they are only on 3 ships, I think.

I agree with the "slightly less than a mini-suite" comment. Our 4 dayer is $200 less per person than a mini and about the same on the 10 night Alaska. With the perks, they are a great deal. I am really hoping we like them because I told my husband if we do, they will be a great option for when we're retired and money is a little tighter :)

Since there are only seven WS, they can book up quickly. Launch pricing is typically around the same price as a mini-suite. On a few itineraries I have seen them closer to 90 percent of the cost of an S6 (Vista) suite. Full suites rarely go on sale but, depending upon demand, mini-suites are often reduced so the actual cost for a WS is often higher than the cheapest mini. We have a WS booked for our Valparaiso to LA cruise next spring. On that cruise prices have increased above launch pricing and the cheapest mini has increased several hundred dollars.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've posted this floor plan on several threads but will do it again because it is so well done. I should write down the name of the architect (and I so bad in remembering his name).

My favorite location is F311 (and have tried several). I do not miss the balcony.

Links to photos to go with the floor plan. F301 is significantly smaller than the other cabins and F315 is an accessible cabin. There are really only five standard cabins on each of the three ships.

F301 - Small Cabin

F307 - Standard Cabin (and F303, F305, F309 and F311)

F315 - Accessible Cabin

We had a window suite for our Hawaii cruise. There was so much I loved about it...the location, the suite benefits, the amount of storage space. There was a lot of noise from the stabilizers. We were in F307. I booked a window suite again for our ten day Mexico cruise and this time I picked F309 hoping it would be quieter. I'm hoping it was just the rough seas from our Hawaii crossing that made it so noisy. You know I loved it if I was willing to book one again.

We had a window suite for our Hawaii cruise. There was so much I loved about it...the location, the suite benefits, the amount of storage space. There was a lot of noise from the stabilizers. We were in F307. I booked a window suite again for our ten day Mexico cruise and this time I picked F309 hoping it would be quieter. I'm hoping it was just the rough seas from our Hawaii crossing that made it so noisy. You know I loved it if I was willing to book one again.
Besides the suite privileges, the other main advantage of the WS is location, location, location!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the information.

Pam, did you enjoy the South America cruise? We are looking at 14 day Cape Horn from BA to Santiago in January 2015.

We just took this trip early Feb aboard the Golden in a Minisuite. Awesome trip, sights are magnificent, enjoyed a Balcony. Saw the window suite cabins but were unimpressed, just to feel the sea on your skin around the HOrn is awesome.

The ports through Patagonia are aweinspiring!!! The Penguins are adorable. Trip of a lifetime, so glad we went. enjoy it.

I think that mostly happens with 301 or 303. While we could definitely smell smoke in the hallway to the cabin it was strongest towards the front. Mostly because the door to the hallway nearest the cigar lounge , was kept open all the time. If that was kept shut, thereprobably wouldn't be much of a problem. We were in 309 and had no odors in the cabin at all.