Premier Parking for Cruising out of Bayonne

cincin102110

Results have been inconsistent with Premier parking, so in general we don't recommend them. Some folks have used them without issue, but others still report delays of an hour+ getting back to their car. There are also concerns about liability and insurance issues.

Premier parking

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1579572&page=2

Results have been inconsistent with Premier parking, so in general we don't recommend them. Some folks have used them without issue, but others still report delays of an hour+ getting back to their car. There are also concerns about liability and insurance issues.

Premier parking

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1579572&page=2

Thanks Carol. Any hotels in Jersey Shore (not to far from the highway we would get off) that allow car parking for the week? Perhaps splitting a taxi to and from the port is the way to go if is no port shuttle bus at the hotel.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. The problem with Cape Liberty is that the closest hotels are in Jersey City, Newark/Elizabeth, and on Staten Island in NYC. There are park/sleep hotels at Newark Airport and on Staten Island. Since this area is so close to NYC, almost all parking is charged for in one way or another and is at a premium. None of this area is considered the Jersey Shore.

For folks driving a long distance from the west and wanting to park at the port, I usually recommend staying overnight out on I80 near Parsippany or at exits 8 to 10 on the NJ Turnpike in East Windsor, Jamesburg/Cranbury, New Brunswick, or Edison. There are usually hotels available on Hotwire for under $100 and any 3* and up hotel will be acceptable. Either location puts you less than an hour from Cape Liberty for a short drive the morning of the cruise.

No hotels in Jersey City with any kind of free parking. Cab fare from Jersey City would be about the same as cab fare from Newark Airport.

You're only sailing for 7 days so the pier parking is $133. I don't think you're going to find any less expensive solution that is not without risk. This is a highly urban industrialized area and you must be selective about where you choose to ditch your car.

• 1 month later...
No hotels in Jersey City with any kind of free parking. Cab fare from Jersey City would be about the same as cab fare from Newark Airport.

You're only sailing for 7 days so the pier parking is $133. I don't think you're going to find any less expensive solution that is not without risk. This is a highly urban industrialized area and you must be selective about where you choose to ditch your car.

It is too bad that no one has opened a quality alternative to pier parking. Maybe once Quantum comes in with additional passengers and the new garage opens with (presumably) higher prices someone will do it. Premier does not appear to be a fly-by-night place, they've got off-airport/pier parking at many different airports/ports but their Bayonne operation seems to be lacking.

Edited by MisterBill99

I doubt that will ever happen. If the business is set up legitimately, they really can't make any serious money. Parking is expensive in any area close to NYC. Four years ago I paid $20 to park in Jersey City for five hours. The daily rate was much higher. $19 to parked in a highly secured area that is covered by insurance is a good deal. I know the out of towners think it's high, but it's really not out of line for the general area.

Part of why their operation in NJ is such a mess is that it is just too expensive to even do business here...

Face it..look at how long it's taking to construct the pier. I was up there today....they were working part of the day...I heard the terminal is modular so it will be shipped in parts and assembled...BUT they still barely have a foundation on what will be the garage, and it seems that there might be some asbestos that's around..there was a small container labeled with cautions about asbestos that I saw, behind the fence, as I walked to the memorial..

The pier is pretty far away from anyplace that it would be logical to have offsite parking...it's too far from EWR and the construction on the Newark Bay Bridge resulted in it taking an hour to get out of Bayonne, through the toll plaza, over the Nwk Bay Bridge and onto the turnpike itself...

It's just not worth it.....

It is too bad that no one has opened a quality alternative to pier parking. Maybe once Quantum comes in with additional passengers and the new garage opens with (presumably) higher prices someone will do it. Premier does not appear to be a fly-by-night place, they've got off-airport/pier parking at many different airports/ports but their Bayonne operation seems to be lacking.

We seriously looked into offering parking at the Bayonne/Kearney city borders a few years ago ( just South of the junction of 1 & 9 and 440 just over the river drawbridge). They ripped out a lot of the old truck stop area, had built the new jail and were debating what to do with the old, dilapidated warehouses on the SW corner of 1 & 9 and Hackensack Ave. There was some available space off Hackensack Ave that would have been suitable (used to be the old Roadway truck terminal overflow lot).

Even if we had the lot full every single day of the year, we were going in the hole at a minimum of $5000 per month. And that is if insurance prices didn't go up, property taxes didn't go up and of course payroll and SS taxes didn't go up. BAD idea any way we ran the numbers.

Premier Parking is NOT a company. They are a website/reservations agent ONLY (don't believe me-READ the fine print in their T & S-they are responsible for NOTHING other than to refund your parking fees). They CONTRACT an "operator" who negotiates with someone who either leases or owns property to park cars in the THIRD party's lot. Then the operator rents some vans on the days they are needed from local rental agencies and hires some part time people who want some extra money. Premier Parking (and all the other names they use-there are many) take a fee for making the reservation and collecting the money.

You THINK you are dealing with a company that actually OWNS something and has some responsibility to you. You are not. And there are big issues about insurance on those vans, legal operating authority from either NJ DOT or FMCSA, qualifications of drivers and what happens when someone's car is damaged on a third party's lot who may not even own the lot. Who has the insurance to cover the damage??? As I have posted before, it is no different than if you or I go ask the local hardware store to rent their parking lot for our weekend event when the hardware store is closed. If something happens in that parking lot, WHO is responsible???

There is a great article on CC about the mess people in Miami found themselves in when the Premier Parking OPERATORS parking lot attendants dumped all the car keys in a pile and left. Cost people a LOT of time and money to get their cars out of the lot. Maybe someone can find it and repost it.

BTW-just to give you an idea of what commercial rental space costs in the area-those old dilapidated bldgs on Hackensack Ave in Kearny were renovated about 3 years ago into small warehouse space and offices and is now called River Terminal. A 1200 sq ft warehouse, with one dock door and 500 sq ft of office space was renting originally at $5000 per month. A friend of mine was renting in there. Ricky called the other day and said he was looking for new space. The rent is now $8700 per month. Almost 100% increase in less than 3 years.

Edited by greatam

I doubt that will ever happen. If the business is set up legitimately, they really can't make any serious money. Parking is expensive in any area close to NYC. Four years ago I paid $20 to park in Jersey City for five hours. The daily rate was much higher. $19 to parked in a highly secured area that is covered by insurance is a good deal. I know the out of towners think it's high, but it's really not out of line for the general area.

It's much higher than off-airport parking at EWR, isn't it? Why shouldn't they be able to do it as cheap? Is it a matter of volume? Is the rent that much higher in Bayonne? I can understand parking being expensive in Jersey City, you have a lot of offices and it's right across the river from Manhattan.

Thanks also to greatam for your detailed analysis of the situation. I guess the answer is that it cannot be done. Disappointing.

BTW I just found an offer for $11.99 outdoor/$12.99 indoor in Elizabeth from Park2Go. I've never seen them mentioned before.

http://www.park2go.com/seaport-parking?gclid=CjkKEQjwwbCcBRCxvJn9-N6dorwBEiQAVriOii0cPVccQcJz5jgHbVRFVD7CYxvzvQAZBpnOca1PeITw_wcB

Edited by MisterBill99

Greatam provided you with specific details as to why other parking options in the area are not economically viable. It's not only the parking - it's also the cost of providing licensed insured transportation to the port. During winter months Cape Liberty only has 3-4 sailings per month and during the summer about 9 sailings - not a whole lot of activity.

Folks have used Park2Go in Elizabeth, but it hasn't been popular because their normal rates are quoted at $15.99 or $17.99/ day with a little asterisk saying "* - Rates may not include any applicable taxes or fees." It appears they are currently having a reduced offer, but you have to price it out to see if it's really worth it for offsite parking that is basically in Newark and is more like 30 minutes from the pier rather than 15 minutes.

Edited by 138east

If you were trying to get to your car Saturday, you would have been sitting in traffic for an HOUR just to get back to Elizabeth, unless your transportation took an alternate route.

The OTHER thing people forget is...You are going to spend $50 AT LEAST to get from off site airport parking to the pier, and another $50 back unless you take the airport shuttle or get squashed into a van.

It's Jersey, our rules are a pain, our taxes are high and our insurance is through the roof....It's annoying, but at least I didn't have to fly!!:D