Sushi Bar??

I think it was the Grandeur last November that had a great "sushi hour" in the Windjammer. It was like a little sushi franchise: they set up all chopsticks and plates, and the sake and sushi, and kept the food fresh and plentiful for the duration. I think it was from 6 to 8 PM. Wonderful sushi and sashimi. A big favorite with the pax, too.

I hope they do this on all the ships eventually.

there was sushi in the windjammer once on the voyager...I go every week for sushi when im home and this was very bad..i got salmon sushi thinking it would be raw and it was cooked like the stuff you would put on a bagel and cream cheese...I dont really remember what else they had but it wasnt a huge selection...So if your looking for good sushi your not going to find it

The sushi on the Grandeur was no charge, by the way.

Too bad about the Voyager's attempt.

What impressed me about the Grandeur was the sushi chefs were Japanese and very, very nice. They even fixed a huge platter of sashimi for a large group who asked for it. I went every evening as a pre-dinner snack, since we had late seating.

Last year at the midnight buffet there was supposed to be chocolate sushi and basically from what I remember it was simply a choco dessert fashioned to look like a sushi roll. (The buffet as a whole was horrible so I dont really recall)

I SO hope they do a sushi hour in Dec on the Grandeur!!

Salmon sashimi is my fave!! I too was dissapointed to see salmon and then realize it was cook and next to bagel fixins.

You can TOTALLY bet I will be asking for some since I know you can ask for it- oh yea,,let me tell you!! Send a big ole plate on up to my OS!! LOL:D

I agree with one of the above poster who said the sushi on the Voyager-class ships is quite bad. There are no raw choices, and the rice is improperly prepared. If you have had sushi before, I would not recommend this. The seaweed salad was good though.

I hope the Grandeur has a sushi set up next year!! Had it on Celebration this year - was okay, just very limited selections:( Since DH is part japanese, we eat it a lot and can almost tell by looking if it's worth the taste:cool:

It will be nice IF there is some sushi on "Explorer", even if it's in the Windjammer and not there all of the time. For "awm", my wife is with you -- can't understand the raw fish thing, but honest, sometimes it's pretty cool -- especially with an appropriate amount of warm sake to wash it down with. Even so, "ebi" (or cooked shrimp) is pretty awesome, and it is NOT raw fish :D

If any of the ships do it the same as our time on the Grandeur, it's very nice. Quiet, no crowds, great sushi, and a good protein and sake snack around 6:00.

Hope they have this little "franchise" on some of the other ships, too.

If any of the ships do it the same as our time on the Grandeur, it's very nice. Quiet, no crowds, great sushi, and a good protein and sake snack around 6:00.

Hope they have this little "franchise" on some of the other ships, too.[/QUOTE]

How long ago were you on the Grandeur when you ate sushi? I have seen mixed comments about this and am really hoping that there will be some when we sail on 8/19.

It was last November. What I mean by franchise is the chefs running it weren't the usual dining staff. They were Japanese sushi chefs. They set up all the decorations, utensils, plates, food, everything.

It was obvious they were a separate group from the rest of the dining staff. I saw them talking to the restaurant management on several nights, so I thought they might be trying it as a new item.

I really hope they do this. Everyone on our cruise who tried it, loved it. They would have it in the Daily Compass, too, along with the other dining choices.

Archived