Dinner in Puerto Vallarta

MaiTaiMary

We're going to be in Puerto Vallarta from 9:00am - 9:00pm. We'll take a day trip somewhere, but I'd like to eat dinner in town somewhere.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something:

~fairly close to the cruise ship terminal

~authentic Mexican

~family friendly

We're going to be in Puerto Vallarta from 9:00am - 9:00pm. We'll take a day trip somewhere, but I'd like to eat dinner in town somewhere.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something:

~fairly close to the cruise ship terminal

~authentic Mexican

~family friendly

It always brings a smile to my face whenever I see a request for "authentic Mexican" food. Just as in the US, all food in Mexico is regional/local. "Authentic Mexican" is just as different in Mazatlan as it is in Puerto Vallarta just like food in Boston is different from Chicago.

In my opinion, your best dining experience would be found in the downtown area or on the south side. However, given your request for "close to the cruise ship terminal", you might try the Marina Vallarta area immediately north of the port.

This place is just an example of the variety restaurants you will there: http://laspalomaspvr.com/

Enjoy!

We have a cruise coming up to PV as well and this restaurant is coming up in recommendations (on foodie sites, not specifically Cruise Critic) over and over : http://elarrayan.com.mx/en/index.php

We have eaten there and the meal was incredible

Loved the Pozale, Duck Carnitas and empanadas YUM

I think our meal was about 1200 pesos with tip and worth every peso

We have a cruise coming up to PV as well and this restaurant is coming up in recommendations (on foodie sites, not specifically Cruise Critic) over and over : http://elarrayan.com.mx/en/index.php

Yes, a great place to eat. Recipes are drawn from the greater Guadalajara area and it isn’t your typical tourist fare (ie: PiPi's). It is downtown, doesn’t open until 5:30 and note that the menu prices are in pesos.

We eat there on a regular basis.

Enjoy!

As mentioned most restaurants are in town, except for a few at the Marina. Also to the Marina you will need a cab or bus.

Not too far from the terminal a short drive from the terminal, in the Fluvial area, is Restaurant Las Adelitas, mexican decorated with a nice selection of food. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d1987141-Reviews-Las_Adelitas_Restaurant-Puerto_Vallarta.html

To mention another of our favorites:

El barracuda, right on the beach, just north of the Malecon. Favorite dish Molcajee. A kind of volcanic bowl filled with either shrimp, beef (or combination) ro seafood.Thy also erve excellent tacos. A simple place, often very busy. http://www.elbarracuda.com/

Not real mexican but with a great view over Vallarta is the restaurant of Csa Isabel. Get there by cab since it is (steep) uphill. http://www.casaisabelpv.com/bar-and-grill

Hola Ine,

Since you mention El Barricuda we will post our last experience in that place (about 3 years ago). We were there late one evening and had a table right along the railing facing the sea. It was a very dark night and I still remember ordering some kind of fish burrito. We suddenly felt something wet and cold on our feet...and it was the SEA! It was one of those days when PV has an unusual high tide and the water actually flowed into the sea side of the restaurant. Guess it was more of an Ocean Front dining experience then one would have wished.

Hank

P.S. Hope to see you and Ton next January.

Hola Ine,

Since you mention El Barricuda we will post our last experience in that place (about 3 years ago). We were there late one evening and had a table right along the railing facing the sea. It was a very dark night and I still remember ordering some kind of fish burrito. We suddenly felt something wet and cold on our feet...and it was the SEA! It was one of those days when PV has an unusual high tide and the water actually flowed into the sea side of the restaurant. Guess it was more of an Ocean Front dining experience then one would have wished.

Hank

P.S. Hope to see you and Ton next January.

LOL, it might have been worse if you had one of these tables right ON the beach. Yes hope to meet you and Kathy again next winer.

PS The dish I talk about is Molcajete (missed the T )

Love the caeser salad and coconut shrimp at Casa Isabel's, the view is amazing we try to arrive early enough to get one of the tables overlooking Puerto Vallarta AMAZING sunsets and they make the best flaming coffees complete with a show :)

We find it hard to get to all the great restaurants during our land stays in PV one day cruise stop would be so hard :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Cafe de Olla on Basillo Badilla is a great Mexican restaurant where the locals eat and they serve great Margaritas :). It is on the South Side in the heart of PV. Panchos Tacos next door is also fabulous - tacos and quesadillas, a kind of 'fast food' place but infamous :D.

Cafe de Olla on Basillo Badilla is a great Mexican restaurant where the locals eat and they serve great Margaritas :). It is on the South Side in the heart of PV. Panchos Tacos next door is also fabulous - tacos and quesadillas, a kind of 'fast food' place but infamous :D.

Actually the "locals" and the ex-pats that I know who live there don't eat at Cafe de Olla.......that said they do make a good breakfast and their double baked potatoes smell amazing as we eat next door at Panchos Tacos YUM :)