Moderno or Cagney's?

glm7777

Aren't the dress codes the same for both?

Kinda depends on who is making the call at Cagney's. Most likely short shorts would be OK, but we thought there would be no problems at Moderno.

Here's what I found for Cagney's and Moderno:

Dress Code: Resort Casual, plus nice jeans are allowed. No shorts after 6:00 p.m. in the dining rooms.

We found Moderno more relaxed and no problems with shorts. The Cagney's on the Jewel was a little stuffy.............but the food was great.

Happy Easter:)

Edited by kcwingwalker

Kinda depends on who is making the call at Cagney's. Most likely short shorts would be OK, but we thought there would be no problems at Moderno.

Here's what I found for Cagney's and Moderno:

Dress Code: Resort Casual, plus nice jeans are allowed. No shorts after 6:00 p.m. in the dining rooms.

We found Moderno more relaxed and no problems with shorts. The Cagney's on the Jewel was a little stuffy.............but the food was great.

Happy Easter:)

Thank you, and Happy Easter to you too!

I'm in the minority, I know, but we were sorely disappointed in Moderno on the Dawn last Fall. I love churrascarias, and have been to a half dozen of them on land, and Moderno didn't live up to even the worst of them. Several of the meat choices seemed on the edge of going bad, or badly marinated, or something terribly off. The plantains were... unlike any plantains I've ever been served anywhere. Easily the worst meal of our trip, and I include multiple meals in the buffet, all of which were perfectly fine.

I don't give bad restaurant reviews in general - anybody can have a bad night, but since I never see anything but lavish praise for Moderno, I went in with the highest hopes, which made our disappointment worse. (The salad bar part was fine) So I offer this in balance, and as a gesture of solidarity to anybody else who tried it and hasn't spoken up.

Cagneys and Le Bistro were excellent.

I'm in the minority, I know, but we were sorely disappointed in Moderno on the Dawn last Fall. I love churrascarias, and have been to a half dozen of them on land, and Moderno didn't live up to even the worst of them. Several of the meat choices seemed on the edge of going bad, or badly marinated, or something terribly off. The plantains were... unlike any plantains I've ever been served anywhere. Easily the worst meal of our trip, and I include multiple meals in the buffet, all of which were perfectly fine.

I don't give bad restaurant reviews in general - anybody can have a bad night, but since I never see anything but lavish praise for Moderno, I went in with the highest hopes, which made our disappointment worse. (The salad bar part was fine) So I offer this in balance, and as a gesture of solidarity to anybody else who tried it and hasn't spoken up.

Cagneys and Le Bistro were excellent.

again, this does show subjectivity to food. You could have hit a bad night or Modernos might not be your thing, but we found it pretty much on par with the land Brazilian steak house we have been to (about 3 or 4) and at much lower price. Was it absolutely as good, I can say, but certainly for the money we loved it. BTW, there have been others that agree with you. In fact one person actually not long ago even said the salad bar was anything to reave about.

For us, it's more of what we're in the mood for. Cagneys is more relaxed and some nights that's what we need. Modernos, on the other hand, can seem hectic when those meat carving people start appearing out of thin air and they keep dropping delicious meat on my plate. I can't decide between them, sitting here at home, not on a cruise. I wish I had to make that kind of decision for supper...right now. :(

I personally don't care for the Moderno salad bar. On the Epic it was just full of weird stuff. I went up looking for the ingredients to make myself a basic garden salad, and came back with a bun, a slice of tomato, and two olives. I couldn't even find lettuce, for heaven's sake.

Didn't matter, either way. This is my take on salad anyways-----

(Linked because embedding won't jump to the correct part of the video.)

http://youtu.be/ERwMRe1Mml4?t=33s

My husband and DH love Moderno on the Dawn.

On the last cruise, we had a group of family and friends and went to both restaurants, and I have to say the "kids" in their 20's all really enjoyed Moderno over Cagney's. For us, we could have more of a party atmosphere than Cagney's which was lovely but a little more formal. The salad bar was also a hit, as well as the grilled pineapple. We also enjoy people watching, and if you ask for a table along the rail you can see everyone coming and going.

Enjoy the Dawn, she is a great ship!

I love trying the specialty restaurants and wish to frequent them often (hey I'm on vacation) but I was not impressed with Moderno. I went last Fall on the DAWN and frankly...the salad buffet was nice...the seafood chowder was excellent (I filled up on the chowder more than the meats) and I felt some of the meats were overcooked, while others came undercooked. The atmosphere was rather uninspiring. To each his own.

I loved LeBistro, had the best pizza in the Italian restaurant (as an appetizer), enjoyed wonderful Asian and had a lot of fun (but not in love) with Teppanyaki (they nuked the lobster and shrimp, oversalted everything and they turn you out as soon as you take your final bite of dessert) Not their fault...they have fully booked reservations!

Funny, I did not eat dinner at Cagneys! So I can't really chime in. But I feel I would probably prefer it over Moderno. I did Cagney's for breakfast (wonderful) and did lunch a few times (suite perk) finding some lunch menu items great...while others only average.

Whatever you choose....you'll be fine...as ultimately, you will be on vacation and it's all good!