Snorkeling - Maya Key vs West Bay Beach

kwbound

I have snorkeled both, but I'm not sure that "my" comparision is a good one.

When we went to West Bay it had rained the day before and we heard that this had stirred up the water a bunch. We did find that once you got a little further out, it got a lot clearer. We snorkeled along the iguana wall and not in the area that they say is the "kidney" shape. There is a thread HERE that discusses where to go to make your way around the area.

Here's a "snorkeling map"

Mapa-wbba_front_maponly_1600x800_50-L.jpg

There seems to be a pattern as to which way you have to go to wind in and out of West Bay so that you can make it out to the drop off or to keep from getting caught in the wrong area where there's very shallow coral and can hurt yourself or the coral.

Now for Maya Key (and this is just my opinion). I thought it was awesome snorkeling there and VERY easy to do. You drop right in and you are there. They have a huge path (which is very easy to follow and it's flagged) to follow to take you right out to the drop off. It's amazing. I have never seen so much coral and marine life all in one spot. I enjoyed it more than West Bay, plus there were a lot of other things to do there on the island (and included food and a pool along with the animals). I know a lot of people say that West Bay is a gorgeous beach, but to us, the beach itself was just another beach and didn't really impress me. Plus you had the people trying to sell you things that don't leave you alone. None of that at Maya Key.

So yes, you can tell where I would pick, but that's just me. I have reviews of both places listed in my signature along with photos if you are interested. :)

I have snorkeled both, but I'm not sure that "my" comparision is a good one.

When we went to West Bay it had rained the day before and we heard that this had stirred up the water a bunch. We did find that once you got a little further out, it got a lot clearer. We snorkeled along the iguana wall and not in the area that they say is the "kidney" shape. There is a thread HERE that discusses where to go to make your way around the area.

Here's a "snorkeling map"

Mapa-wbba_front_maponly_1600x800_50-L.jpg

There seems to be a pattern as to which way you have to go to wind in and out of West Bay so that you can make it out to the drop off or to keep from getting caught in the wrong area where there's very shallow coral and can hurt yourself or the coral.

Now for Maya Key (and this is just my opinion). I thought it was awesome snorkeling there and VERY easy to do. You drop right in and you are there. They have a huge path (which is very easy to follow and it's flagged) to follow to take you right out to the drop off. It's amazing. I have never seen so much coral and marine life all in one spot. I enjoyed it more than West Bay, plus there were a lot of other things to do there on the island (and included food and a pool along with the animals). I know a lot of people say that West Bay is a gorgeous beach, but to us, the beach itself was just another beach and didn't really impress me. Plus you had the people trying to sell you things that don't leave you alone. None of that at Maya Key.

So yes, you can tell where I would pick, but that's just me. I have reviews of both places listed in my signature along with photos if you are interested. :)

Thanks for your reply. I remember reading your Maya Key review before. I will have to go back and look at it again. I started to go ahead and book the Maya Key excursion, but the only departure time still available in 10:30. We have to be back on board by 4pm. Do you think that would give us enough time at Maya Key? We are the type who like to be first ones off and last ones on, so a late start like that goes against our nature!

We could book the West Bay Beach Break through Island Marketing for half the cost of Maya Key. They would pick us up 30 min after the ship docks and take us to Bananarama at West Bay, where we have been before and did enjoy. We would get more beach time that way.

Decisions, decisions!!

Thanks for your reply. I remember reading your Maya Key review before. I will have to go back and look at it again. I started to go ahead and book the Maya Key excursion, but the only departure time still available in 10:30. We have to be back on board by 4pm. Do you think that would give us enough time at Maya Key? We are the type who like to be first ones off and last ones on, so a late start like that goes against our nature!

We could book the West Bay Beach Break through Island Marketing for half the cost of Maya Key. They would pick us up 30 min after the ship docks and take us to Bananarama at West Bay, where we have been before and did enjoy. We would get more beach time that way.

Decisions, decisions!!

What ship are you on? Where do you dock? What times are you in port? I know that NCL docks directly in front of Maya Key and it's a 5 minute boat ride there. When we went we left the dock at around 9am and the last boat going back to the ship was at 3:30 (we were leaving port around 4 I think). So we were able to spend the entire day there (even though when we booked it said that you only get a few hours). There were boats leaving all day to take you back whenever you wanted. But I'm not sure if this was just because we were docked right there or what. It's just my opinion, but if it was me, I would still do it for the 4 hours or so. The snorkeling was just that amazing and we are just like you...we like to be the first one's off and last one's on when possible. :D

What ship are you on? Where do you dock? What times are you in port? I know that NCL docks directly in front of Maya Key and it's a 5 minute boat ride there. When we went we left the dock at around 9am and the last boat going back to the ship was at 3:30 (we were leaving port around 4 I think). So we were able to spend the entire day there (even though when we booked it said that you only get a few hours). There were boats leaving all day to take you back whenever you wanted. But I'm not sure if this was just because we were docked right there or what. It's just my opinion, but if it was me, I would still do it for the 4 hours or so. The snorkeling was just that amazing and we are just like you...we like to be the first one's off and last one's on when possible. :D

We are on Navigator of the Seas, docking at Coxen Hole, in port from 8-4:30. We have to be back on board at 4:00. The excursion description says that boats back leave every half hour so I'm sure 3:30 would be the last boat back for us too.

DH and I went back and looked at your review, and while Maya Key looks wonderful, we've decided to go back to Bananarama at West Bay. We had a great lunch there, coconut fried shrimp and whole fried fish. The music was wonderful, the snorkeling was great. And the beach it so big. It was one of our best cruise days. So we are going to try and repeat that. Our underwater camera died the day before we got to Roatan last year. But we've replaced it so hopefully I'll be able to post some good fish pics when we get back.

Thanks for all of the help you give on these boards. I always look forward to your reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk