Why do people continue to sail Seabourn

MainLineLady

If I had the money to book a Penthouse, you can be certain that I would. Then none of this would have been an issue. My TA did get us a nice onboard credit. Which to us is as good as a penthouse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry. I did not mean to assume you could. I did not mean to offend you.

If I had the money to book a Penthouse, you can be certain that I would. Then none of this would have been an issue. My TA did get us a nice onboard credit. Which to us is as good as a penthouse.

And many of us have the money to book a penthouse but decide we don't need one and would rather apply the extra $$$ to another cruise.

Well said, live to play another day, whether playing the tables, looking at an expensive wine list, or a vacation. Live in one's means and be able to enjoy many more times is my guiding philosophy. Everyone has their own priorities, mine may be very different from someone else's.

After being on many cruises, I stopped looking at what the price became - no point! I booked the room, and date I wanted and had assurance I had what I wanted or I would have not booked. Then, I had time to look at information on ports, flights, hotels if I was staying pre/post and make the most of my cruise. If I waited until the last minute, it would not have been a special relaxing vacation - just a last minute voyage.

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise - they do make the extra effort whenever possible!

I find they are a very relaxing cruise line. No pressure on what to wear, when to do things, just enjoy the adventure!

Mainelinelady,

I find the staff & crew very warm, personable, attentive and eager to please. Life is made easy [water, towel, umbrellas at gangplank, no lines, etc.]. The suites are well appointed. This is why we continue to sail Seabourn. My grumblings about certain areas is because I hope that they will improve these as I wish to continue sailing/enjoying SB.

Pease sail planning to enjoy...and please share your thoughts when you return. Paula

Edited by PaulaJK

And many of us have the money to book a penthouse but decide we don't need one and would rather apply the extra $$$ to another cruise.

If I had to make a choice between a larger cabin or another cruise and extra treats, I would opt for the latter too.

My TA said that you can get the lower price if you haven't made your final payment. Did they lower the price after the 90 day pre-cruise time limit?

We originally booked our July 2014 cruise in February 2014. The weekend before our final payment was due, the price of our cruise dropped by $2000 PER person. BUT we had to downgrade our category (still with veranda), and went with the guaranteed veranda option. For $4000 it is just not important to either my husband or myself where our suite is - we just wanted a veranda. Our TA went in to check the cabins and all the lower category verandas were already booked so she said unless their are cancellations we are probably going to end up with our original category or higher (fingers crossed!).

OP - I'm curious, how much did the price drop on you? Hopefully this won't spoil your trip.

EasyBay,

Which ship and date are you doing in July?

We are booked on Quest for the 27th out of CPH. Our price dropped by 1000 per person 1 week after I deposited. My agent was able to get me the new pricing within a half hour of my emailing her about it. And we were booked in a "OB" veranda guarantee at the time. The V1's are selling for 2K more PER PERSON than the guarantee is. We are keeping our guarantee for sure!!

Ill take that savings anytime it's offered.

Best,

Steve

Edited by iramack

Our experience (in the UK) has been that if you have booked a specific suite and the price goes down before final payment you may be able to get the new price honoured. If, as it usually is, it is a late reduction after the normal payment date, you would almost certainly get an upgrade and/or onboard credit. Depending on your travel agent, you may need to check these prices regularly yourself, as not all agents bother to do anything about it without prompting from the customer.

John Adams said that although he hated having his portrait painted, he 'would happily sit for Gilbert Stuart from January 1 through December 31'.

I feel the same way about sailing with Seabourn.

Even tho I'm completely over it and plan to enjoy our cruise, to everyone who suggested that my TA should have been able to get the lower price, the price dropped after I had made final payment.

In the long run, it's only money and we are thankful that we are able to enjoy a cruise on the Legend under any circumstances. We so enjoyed a trip to the Galapagos on a ship that carried 96, I wanted that very small ship experience again.

I have never had a problem getting a decrease in the price if the cruise line discounts a sailing.I use a UK TA.

I suppose it might depend on how good your TA is.

I agree. I was also told by my TA, he will pass on any reduction if the price dropped. I think it is very much depends on the TA.

Booking last minute does not guarantee the best price. We often book last minute ( a month before sailing) because of work commitments and find last minute is always more expensive. So far this year, we have booked 2 cruises in March sailing in April and July. We can see the July prices has gone up a few hundred pounds already. The same happened last year, prices were much lower in advance. Booking last minute also means you have less choice on cabins and we have found some sailings were fully booked.

Seabourn offers a 5% discount if you place a future deposit whilst on board (in April, the amount quoted was £250 pp) May be that is a better way to secure a discount.