What excursions sell out?

nana51

There is a group of us (7) going and we have a fair amount of OBC. We want to use it for excursions but OBC cannot be used until you are onboard. Are there certain excursions that we should get ahead of time because they fill up? Also, are there any excursions that we can wait until we are onboard. We are thinking of doing river rafting, zip lining, and viewing glaciers. We haven't decided anything yet as we aren't going until the end of July, but we are meeting today to make some decisions.

I don't know which line you are on, but Princess doesn't charge for excursions until the day taken. On our last cruise, we were able to use our OBC for excursions. The excursions were reserved but not charged for so a good way to offer them.

A general rule is that if you really want to do a particular excursion and you would be really disappointed if you couldn't do it, then you should probably book it ahead of time. A lot of excursions are expensive. Is there that much OBC available to cover it? If not, I would book the things you really want to do and then take a chance with the other stuff to see if it's still available.

Keep forgetting this is not the HAL board. I'm on Holland America. I'm just worried that some will sell out before we cruise.

Ok, too bad all aren't like Princess with booking and reserving but not having to pay until the tour actually takes place. If it is something you really want to do I would book.

Some of the excursions on our upcoming May cruise have been sold out for months. If there's something you really want to do, I'd book it now. I would think the passenger mix, time of year, weather, etc could factor which excursions are sold out at any given time.

As others have stated - on HAL, if it is a MUST DO excursion for you, you should book it ahead of time and use the OBC for other things (I have the same issue coming up for my cruise next week, so I know where you are coming from). You also might look to see if a similar excursion is offered in another port (for example glacier tours, whale watching, etc), that may give you more options in case one gets sold out.

It also depends on whether or not you plan to come back to the same ports in the future - then you could take a chance of getting shut out now.

One more thing - the chances of getting shut out can depend on how many ships are in port the same day as you are. Don't forget, the passengers of the other lines are often competing for the limited excursion slots with you (in many cases, of course not all).

DaveOKC

Generally I'd say any of the dog sled or flightseeing excursions book fast. If there is something you really want to do I'd book it now and then see if you can switch payments once on board. Would they let you cancel and then immediately re book with your OBC?

As recent as last year, cruise ships do NOT sell out ALL their tour slots, they have always saved a percentage for on board booking. I suggest you take a look at shore excursions now, and then purchase them the day you board the ship. Usually there is a drop box, and/or the shore excursion desk is open.

Tours that ARE in short supply are flights.