Travel/Hotel Options for a Group of 7 or 8

CruiserTB

Hi everyone,

I've been searching the boards, various travel sites, etc... trying to get a handle on my options but still am left wondering so I thought I'd reach out to you all for some assistance. :D

Right now I have a group of 7 people booked on a cruise leaving out of Miami on Aug. 23 (3 adults, 3 children, 1 baby). One more child may join us but she's not confirmed yet.

My question is, if we fly into FLL the day before the cruise, should we stay in FLL or Miami? And for either option we would like a 2 bedroom suite so we aren't tripping all over each other. I figure, 2 adults + baby in one bedroom, 1 adult + child in other bedroom, remaining 2 or 3 children (depending on if other child comes) on the pullout sofa. Does anyone have any hotel options that can accommodate our group?

Also depending on whether we stay in FLL or Miami, what's the best way to get to POM the next day for the cruise?

Trying to get the room for under $300 and it would be great if it included breakfast:D Depending on what time we arrive it would also be nice if it was walking distance to some sights since we're not going to rent a car for one day. TIA

If you read down the board you will see the common recommendation to stay in the FLL area, and get a shuttle (SAS, QLS, Jiffy Jeff are three commonly mentioned) to POM the next day.

2 bedroom suites are specialty items, so not sure how many here will have info. But check any of the hotels that have "Suites" in their title. Embassy Suites has a large following here for good reason, and it meets all your specifications for location, etc.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks for the response. It looks like Embassy Suites only has 1 bedroom suites. I'll check out Hyatt House.

Well I checked and right now all the 2 bedroom suites at Hyatt House are booked so I guess I'll keep monitoring them while I look for something else.

Any other suggestions? Also with our group of 7 or 8, is it better to get a shuttle or a cab to the port?

Edited by CruiserTB

Thanks for the response. It looks like Embassy Suites only has 1 bedroom suites. I'll check out Hyatt House.

Well I checked and right now all the 2 bedroom suites at Hyatt House are booked so I guess I'll keep monitoring them while I look for something else.

Any other suggestions? Also with our group of 7 or 8, is it better to get a shuttle or a cab to the port?

As discussed here frequently, the larger the group, the better value a taxi is, as the shuttle will be charging per person. So, for example, Embassy Suites' $8 per person times 8 people will be $64. Three taxis will be $10-12 each, ($36 total) depending on which terminal you are going to.

We stayed at Fortune House last November in a private 2 bedroom, two bath condo, complete with kitchen, living room and laundry facilities for $199.00 per night. It was right across the street from the Four Seasons and around the corner from the free trolley and metro mover. We also flew into Ft. Lauderdale but chose to stay in Miami so we would be that much closer the morning of the cruise.

As discussed here frequently, the larger the group, the better value a taxi is, as the shuttle will be charging per person. So, for example, Embassy Suites' $8 per person times 8 people will be $64. Three taxis will be $10-12 each, ($36 total) depending on which terminal you are going to.

He/She needs a shuttle/taxi to POM in the morning, not PE.

Unlike Orlando, the South Florida area is not well known for it's "multiple bedroom suites".

You really should consider renting a minivan of some sorts. Not only would you have transportation to the Port of Miami the next morning . . . you could have more success driving to a location that could accommodate your family instead of being stuck to areas that are by the airports/ports and will be non accommodating or more expensive.

If renting a minivan is off the table, you probably should stay in the Fort Lauderdale area. If you stay in Miami right away . . . you still need transportation to the port in the morning. If you stay in Fort Lauderdale, you can find a hotel with a free shuttle from the airport and then take the SAS shuttle in the morning straight to the Port.

Unlike Orlando, the South Florida area is not well known for it's "multiple bedroom suites".

You really should consider renting a minivan of some sorts. Not only would you have transportation to the Port of Miami the next morning . . . you could have more success driving to a location that could accommodate your family instead of being stuck to areas that are by the airports/ports and will be non accommodating or more expensive.

If renting a minivan is off the table, you probably should stay in the Fort Lauderdale area. If you stay in Miami right away . . . you still need transportation to the port in the morning. If you stay in Fort Lauderdale, you can find a hotel with a free shuttle from the airport and then take the SAS shuttle in the morning straight to the Port.

Thanks kdawg. Yeah we really weren't planning on renting a vehicle but I guess it will depend on what time we get in on Friday. If it's real late I don't see the point. Also, I'm a girl :)

We stayed at Fortune House last November in a private 2 bedroom, two bath condo, complete with kitchen, living room and laundry facilities for $199.00 per night. It was right across the street from the Four Seasons and around the corner from the free trolley and metro mover. We also flew into Ft. Lauderdale but chose to stay in Miami so we would be that much closer the morning of the cruise.

Thanks funnat. I'll check this option out.

Well I checked out Fortune House. It's about $250 not including tax & daily fee for the night for a 2 bedroom. Kind of close to the max we wanted to spend and no breakfast included. :rolleyes:

I'll keep it on the list but still would like other options.

Well I checked out Fortune House. It's about $250 not including tax & daily fee for the night for a 2 bedroom. Kind of close to the max we wanted to spend and no breakfast included. :rolleyes:

I'll keep it on the list but still would like other options.

We are not big breakfast eaters so we got donuts and milk and a box of cereal the night before at CVS. There was a coffee pot in the kitchen with a pre measured portion of coffee so I was happy. I know what you are going through because I just did it. We actually had 6 people in the condo. One of the bedrooms had twin beds and the other bedroom had a king sized bed. The sofa in the living room also made into a bed. It was only for one night and it saved us from getting two rooms. We had rented a car so when we returned it to Hertz, we got a free ride to the port.

Good luck finding the right hotel.

Homewood Suites is near FLL and has suites and free breakfast. It's not really an easy walk anywhere from there but you could just enjoy the suite and pool and order in a pizza.

Ahh I'm having the worst luck. Homewood is out of 2 bedroom suites as well. Ahh

Now DH is saying he prefers to stay in FLL area rather than MIA because he has a friend in FLL that he would like us to visit and also would be able to me LO for the first time.

But now with these flight prices it's looking like we may need to not only arrive the day before but leave a day later so we're gonna need a hotel post-cruise too. :rolleyes: I'm so over looking, I feel like booking the next thing I see price be da**ed! But of course then you have less cruise spending money, what to do...:confused::confused:

• 8 months later...

We are a group of 6. 4 adults and 2 children. We opted to rent a minivan from FLL and make the drive to MIA that afternoon when we land. We plan on returning the car that morning to the airport rental place with Alamo and use their shuttle to the port. I was able to get us 2 rooms at the Hampton Inn Airport-Blue Lagoon area for under 100 each room. They even had rooms with kitchens also, so that may help you out some. I forgot to mention our dates are for July 2015 :)

Last year and again this year we will stay at the Staybridge Suites in Plantation. They have a two bedroom suite with a queen room and two doubles in the other (each with its own washroom) and a pull out sofa (sleeps 7). There is a kitchen and living/dining room. Monday to Thursday (I believe) they offer a free dinner with drinks and snacks and free breakfast every morning. Also have free laundry Nice area. There is a huge mall nearby (Broward). You will have to rent a car though as there is no shuttle. Last March I paid $175 per night - this year it is $191. Not bad for March.