Skagway Glacier Point Excursion to Haines

vermonter16

Thinking about doing this excursion. Anyone have any feedback on it? Any other recommendations for Skagway?

Unless you have something wonderful in mind for Haines, I'd spend the day discovering Skagway. It has much more to do............

• 4 weeks later...

I worked in Skagway and now live in Haines. If you want the tourist experience stay in Skagway. If you want to experience a really small Alaskan community come to Haines. You can go the the Chilkoot River and see bears and eagles with locals fishing for dinner. Or drive through the Chilkat Eagle Preserve or just hang in town

If you've been to Skagway before and done the usual excursions from there, then go to Haines. We've been 3 times to Haines, once doing ship tour to wildlife sanctuary, once a port stop where we saw bears scooping salmon out of river (September) and many eagles, once just seeing the lovely scenery. Plus the trip over by boat/ferry from Skagway is lovely. Or rent a car in Skagway (Avis or Sourdough) and ride out to Emerald Lake in Yukon.

Our ship is in port from 7 am until 8.30pm. I would really like to do both Emerald Lake and the Glacier Point excursion. We would hire a car to see Emerald Lake - do you think it's possible to do both and do them justice!?

Thanks

Kath

( going on our first ever cruise in 2015)

I worked in Skagway and now live in Haines. If you want the tourist experience stay in Skagway. If you want to experience a really small Alaskan community come to Haines. You can go the the Chilkoot River and see bears and eagles with locals fishing for dinner. Or drive through the Chilkat Eagle Preserve or just hang in town

Do you know if we could do this in early July? We are really interested in seeing bears because we've never seen any and this will be our fifth time to Alaska. Our cruise ship arrives in Skagway July 9th. We were looking at taking the ferry to Haines but we got the impression from posters on these boards that it would be too early for the bears in Haines.