Juneau Hiking/Bear Safety

Wuggy19

We have rented a car and would like to drive to the "end of the road" exploring along the way. I would like to take a few strolls along some of the trails. How prepared should we be for an encounter with wildlife. Should we get a bell or spray? Do not want to be that stupid tourist.

Stop at the Shrine of St Therese: http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/ It's almost at the end of the road and has beautiful walkways throughout.

As for wildlife, that can happen anywhere in Alaska. There's good information on the internet - here's a link from the Alaska Department of Natural Resources: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/safety/bears.htm

Rent a car and go straight to Mendenhall Glacier..............take a couple of short trails there. The last two summers there have been bears (a sow and cub) even on the trails there.................if you stop, they just meander on.

IMO, bears in other areas aren't as "people friendly."

You will see lots of trail signs along the roads.

Be sure to stop at the Shrine of St. Therese, as mentioned above. I've "always" seen a whale or two right there in the quiet little bay........and have always heard them "singing."

Juneau is a great place to rent a car and get away from the tourist mess of so many ships in port.

Do rent a car with offices in town. The airport is a long way, (well.......a long way in a small town!!).

When I didn't know better, I rented from the airport. They picked me up just fine, but I was on my own to return to the ship...........to the tune of a $26. taxi ride.

Enjoy your trip!

We have rented a car and would like to drive to the "end of the road" exploring along the way. I would like to take a few strolls along some of the trails. How prepared should we be for an encounter with wildlife. Should we get a bell or spray? Do not want to be that stupid tourist.

When we were there a ew years ago, we were in the visitors building looking out when the woman next to my wife started pounding on the big picture window yelling "That's my husband!!", From there you can see several of the paths and there on the path around a corner was a bear as her husband was on the same path around the corner from the bear. When each saw the other. They both stopped in their tracks. Then the bear took off through the woods and walked right in front of the window!! This happened again with a different bear 5 minutes later. Turns out they are brother and sister and have been in the area for a couple years and are very used to being around people. So they split/ Anyplace else you might not be so lucky. I'd sure carrypepper spray or something. In Denali we saw 11 grizzlies and some were with cubs. Not a good combo.

Hope you are lucky enough to see some bears!!

Cheers, Kenn

I carry an empty soda can with some rocks in it. Makes a good amount of noise.

That's the thing, the volume of noise has to be more than provided by any bear bell I've ever seen.

I carry a small airhorn. Most of my friends and neighbours do, too. We fear we would not be able to use bear spray properly if we were feeling stress, duress, or pressure ;) The intent of an airhorn is to use it from a distance. For me, though, the best protection is good visibility/clear lines of sight.

That's the thing, the volume of noise has to be more than provided by any bear bell I've ever seen.

I carry a small airhorn. Most of my friends and neighbours do, too. We fear we would not be able to use bear spray properly if we were feeling stress, duress, or pressure ;) The intent of an airhorn is to use it from a distance. For me, though, the best protection is good visibility/clear lines of sight.

Would a loud whistle work? We're venturing on our own in Juneau too and I have had the same concerns. Of course we've read the Alaska official Know Your Bear Facts brochure, but anything extra I can do to prevent an 'incident' would be welcome.