Pool Deck on Getaway-small?

cruisegal40

I am looking to book the Getaway and in looking at pictures on line and some other posts, it looks like there is not much lounging room on either main deck or second level? Also, no pictures of how to get to the second deck.

We were just on Getaway last week. There are a lot of lounging spots on the top decks. There's a quiet zone one at the fore of the ship as well as a sun deck.

The upper decks (17 and 18) are accessed via various staircases fore and aft.

A couple of pics I took of the upper decks...

2014-04-12-1709.jpg

2014-04-12-1727.jpg

There are tons of seats on the upper levels. The best seats are in front of the DJ booth, especially if you have 6 or 7 in your family. You will have the whole area to yourself. If not, then there is still plenty of seating along the sides.

Yes the pool is very small. When designing the ship they obviously tried to take advantage of every square inch. There are a ton of things to do but the flow of the ship is very convoluted. There are huge areas on the top deck to sit out in the sun but the pool area isn't so great.

There are tons of seats on the upper levels. The best seats are in front of the DJ booth, especially if you have 6 or 7 in your family. You will have the whole area to yourself. If not, then there is still plenty of seating along the sides.

Where is this DJ booth? That sounds great.

Thanks for the pics. That's definitely the most unusual pool deck setup I've ever seen! I think The Market Place in the middle is the kicker for me. For those of you who have already done Breakaway and/or Getaway, how did you feel about The Market Place? My first impression is I wish it wasn't there, but I haven't sailed Breakaway yet.

Thanks for the pics. That's definitely the most unusual pool deck setup I've ever seen! I think The Market Place in the middle is the kicker for me. For those of you who have already done Breakaway and/or Getaway, how did you feel about The Market Place? My first impression is I wish it wasn't there, but I haven't sailed Breakaway yet.

My impression of The Market Place is that it wasn't anything special really. Just selling t-shirts, jackets, sunscreen etc. We looked through it and it took all of 5 minutes.

Was on getaway 2 weeks ago. At first did not like the small pool deck and thought it extremely loud. But then discovered there are quiet areas deck 16-17 with lots of chairs. Never had a problem finding chairs Ina sea day. And pool is adults only, which means the pool was much less crowded and was very enjoyable. You could actually swim with out bumping into people, not the usual "people soup." So it turns out I actually loved the Getaway setup.

Where is this DJ booth? That sounds great.

Look at the pictures above - with the two box looking things. It's the one to the right. It is set up with 6 lounge chairs (not shown in that picture). No one in front of you, or behind you. It's perfect.

Edited by SissasMomE

Look at the pictures above - with the two box looking things. It's the one to the right. It is set up with 6 lounge chairs (not shown in that picture). No one in front of you, or behind you. It's perfect.

If I am looking at the right place in the photo the loungers are not set up at all. Did you have to do this yourself each day and if yes, approximately what time did all 6 of you arrive to do so each day? How did you manage to keep getting this prime space everyday? I would have thought the chair hogs would eventually figure it out and beat you to it!

If I am looking at the right place in the photo the loungers are not set up at all. Did you have to do this yourself each day and if yes, approximately what time did all 6 of you arrive to do so each day? How did you manage to keep getting this prime space everyday? I would have thought the chair hogs would eventually figure it out and beat you to it!

No, the loungers are already set up. I'm an early riser, and we were out there every day between 6:30 and 6:45 am. The chairs were already set up. I'm not sure why the OPs picture does not show lounge chairs. Edited - the OPs pictures do not show many chairs. I'm really not sure when he or she took them, but there are loads of chairs missing from the pic!

Edited by SissasMomE

Oh, okay. Perfect. I'll probably go there a lot. I can run right up and down stairs to the Waves bar below, right?

Oh, okay. Perfect. I'll probably go there a lot. I can run right up and down stairs to the Waves bar below, right?

You can, but no need as there are waiters around all the time. Loved our trip on the Getaway but did think the pools were on the small side. Plenty of loungers on deck 16. We never ventured up higher.