Hotel near Magic Mountain

We will be visiting Magic Mountain the day before our Baja cruise from Long Beach. I've been checking into some hotels and I think our short list is the Holiday Inn Express right across the street and the Comfort Suites a couple miles down the road. Does anyone have any thoughts on why one may be a better choice than the other for 2 adults and 2 teens?

You do realize that Magic Mountain is north of LA? Universal Studios is much closer to Long Beach. If you stay with the idea of hotel near Magic Mountain, plan your drive time to Long Beach to include consideration of traffic snafus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You do realize that Magic Mountain is north of LA? Universal Studios is much closer to Long Beach. If you stay with the idea of hotel near Magic Mountain, plan your drive time to Long Beach to include consideration of traffic snafus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We realize it's a ways away and we'll be leaving our hotel by late morning (10ish) and realize it could take a couple hours depending on the traffic.

Magic Mountain and Universal are two different types of theme parks, with MM more of a thrill ride place. So maybe that went into the OP's planning. Can't really offer info on the two hotels as whenever we've gone up there to go to MM, it's about 30 miles so it'll be a day trip for us. And sometimes you can be lucky and not hit heavy traffic. The 5 freeway is more of a mountain pass experience in that all you see are mountains, and more mountains, until you get to the San Fernando Valley.

No matter which route (going via the 405. via the 170 or staying on the I-5), you can hit traffic so just go with the flow. Personally I would connect with the 405 from the 5 and take that, just to avoid going through downtown LA. But that's my comfort level.

Magic Mountain and Universal are two different types of theme parks' date=' with MM more of a thrill ride place. So maybe that went into the OP's planning. Can't really offer info on the two hotels as whenever we've gone up there to go to MM, it's about 30 miles so it'll be a day trip for us. And sometimes you can be lucky and not hit heavy traffic. The 5 freeway is more of a mountain pass experience in that all you see are mountains, and more mountains, until you get to the San Fernando Valley.

No matter which route (going via the 405. via the 170 or staying on the I-5), you can hit traffic so just go with the flow. Personally I would connect with the 405 from the 5 and take that, just to avoid going through downtown LA. But that's my comfort level.[/quote']

We definitely chose magic mountain for the rides. Well, at least the guys did! I'll go and have fun, but it's not a place I would choose for myself. The route down 405 is what I was looking at and Google maps had the travel time at about an hour and change.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Either should be fine. Look at TripAdvisor for reviews.

There are a lot of restaurants in the area--Valencia, Santa Clarita and Canyon Country.

There is a huge WalMart just south of MM.

Many of the cities have institued a no plastic policy, bring your own bags.

Who remember the Trolls when the Love's first opened Magic Mountain?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFnwiFKAeFrYCNemK82iNUF2_dBIhdm2YQGDONyk-Z_sNUqLPN4w

Parking at Magic Mountain is like $25. You save that if you are within walking distance. If the plan is not set in stone, Magic Mountain used to offer a "come back tomorrow" option for like $5 per person. We did this, and stayed at a hotel, just because if you are the first few in, you can get on the newest rides without the long waits in lines.

We will be visiting Magic Mountain the day before our Baja cruise from Long Beach. I've been checking into some hotels and I think our short list is the Holiday Inn Express right across the street and the Comfort Suites a couple miles down the road. Does anyone have any thoughts on why one may be a better choice than the other for 2 adults and 2 teens?

We live about 3 miles south of Magic Mountain. The HIE will be a perfect place to stay. There's a Denny's right next door. HIE is right on the east side of the freeway (I-5). On the same side of the freeway as MM, the west side, are a Red Lobster and a El Torito.

Can I assume your your cruise leaves on a weekend? I took a trip to San Pedro, on a weekday, to visit the USS Iowa, down the 5, to the 405, to the 110, to the pier, and it took me about 90 minutes. Had more than 2 in the car, so we could use the carpool lanes, and it was rush hour. Left at 8:30, and got there at 10:00. I'm going to guess about an hour, assuming no accidents.

Thanks socal404! I've been leaning toward the holiday inn for the location and the rooms look a bit nicer and bigger in the pictures. My main concern about the holiday inn was possibility of freeway noise or general traffic headaches getting around so close to the freeway.

Our cruise leaves on Thursday and we're planning to leave our hotel around 10:30ish.

We live about 3 miles south of Magic Mountain. The HIE will be a perfect place to stay. There's a Denny's right next door. HIE is right on the east side of the freeway (I-5). On the same side of the freeway as MM, the west side, are a Red Lobster and a El Torito.

Can I assume your your cruise leaves on a weekend? I took a trip to San Pedro, on a weekday, to visit the USS Iowa, down the 5, to the 405, to the 110, to the pier, and it took me about 90 minutes. Had more than 2 in the car, so we could use the carpool lanes, and it was rush hour. Left at 8:30, and got there at 10:00. I'm going to guess about an hour, assuming no accidents.

Thursday out of Long Beach.

Thanks socal404! I've been leaning toward the holiday inn for the location and the rooms look a bit nicer and bigger in the pictures. My main concern about the holiday inn was possibility of freeway noise or general traffic headaches getting around so close to the freeway.

Our cruise leaves on Thursday and we're planning to leave our hotel around 10:30ish.

I would probably leave earlier than that. The 405 can be a pain in places even during the noon hour (there's not a true "rush hour"). Even the 5 as it goes downtown can often be congested.

Hopefully for any rooms that face the freeway, the hotel put in heavier glass. We stayed at the HI Express in Seattle post-cruise ten years ago and our room even faced the freeway there, but it was very quiet (and I'm a light sleeper). The TripAdvisor reviews often mentioned the rooms facing the freeway were noisy, but we didn't have any problems.

There's also the Magic Mountain Hilton Garden Inn which is the closest hotel to the park. A nice Marie Callendar's is right next door. Both are definitely within walking distance to the entrance.

I did check there and the rate was over $200 even with my corporate discount!! And no complimentary breakfast. Just didn't seem worth it to just get on the other side of the freeway. I'll probably check rates on both places as time goes on and if it gets better, we'll consider swapping.

I did check there and the rate was over $200 even with my corporate discount!! And no complimentary breakfast. Just didn't seem worth it to just get on the other side of the freeway. I'll probably check rates on both places as time goes on and if it gets better, we'll consider swapping.

There's also a Best Western next to the HIE. Also, down the 5 south of MM, there are quite a few hotels. Quality Inn Suites, Marriott and Hampton Inn. Only about 3 miles from MM. They are on the west side of the freeway.

Also, don't worry about traffic noise. The HIE is not right up against the freeway. Hope you enjoy your stay. The Santa Clarita valley is a great place.

Went to Magic Mountain last summer and stayed at the La Quinta. It was very nice for a La Quinta. Great breakfast, clean hotel and comfortable beds. I would not hesitate staying there. Plus if I remember right, it was pretty affordable. We had a great time at Magic Mountain but I felt one day was enough.