The Cheapy McCheapsters spend Spring Break on the Carnival Breeze.

tammymacb

You are right about the dining. I have been on eight Carnival cruises. Got off the Liberty a month ago. We really noticd the cutbacks. This ship was beautiful, but it had the 2.0 downgrades, Food, shows, ect. We still have not recieved a comment card online yet.

This was our 5th. We've also done 5 DCL, 2 RCCL, 1 X and 1 NCL. Hands down this food (in the dining room) was hands down the worst I've ever had on a cruise.

Aruba is busy, touristy and Miami (ish) IMO. I'm not a fan of the high rises on the beach vacation.

I was looking for something different to do there, and came across

http://www.jolly-pirates.com/

I booked the Sail. Snorkel. Swing all inclusive before we ever left. We were to meet at 0830 on Palm Beach ( maybe 15-20 minutes from the port). I woke up super early, couldn't go back to sleep. And of course, I finally did. In our cozy little bat cave of a room. The next thing I know, Angus is up telling me, lets move, it's 7:15 and we need to get going. I'd showered the night before, so I put on a swimsuit, and went to call the girls, picked up my iphone and guess what, it's 8:20. Angus read the clock wrong. ( And I slept through it ) There was no way to dress, get off the ship, get to Palm Beach and catch the boat. So, there was $200 down the drain.

We woke the girls figuring we'd make the best of it. I hate wandering aimlessly with no plans when you're anywhere for a short time. We decided a last minute beach day and headed to Eagle beach as it's less crowded. Well, less crowded is an understatement. There were no chairs and people sleeping on tents on the beach. With nowhere to sit or get something to eat or drink we headed to Palm instead. The Las Vegas of Caribbean beaches. Huzzah. At this point, I wanted to scrap it. But, I tried to keep a happy face for the girls. We walked down the beach and found a place to rent chairs ($60 for 4, are you kidding me!?) I bought a couple diet cokes in the beach bar and got on free wifi just long enough to find out my son (home watching the dogs) had popped a tire while parking my car and give him the CC info to replace it so I had a vehicle when I got home. Caroline was not at peak performance. After a while we canned it and headed back to the ship. Crappy day. Definitely NOT budget friendly. We did not even take pictures.

What method did he use to smuggle? Asking for a friend;)

I forget what they're called. The plastic flask things. He stuck them in his suitcase. I drink more tea and diet coke than alcohol so I really don't pay much attention. But, they're the same ones that are pretty commonly discussed here on CC.

Our final two days were sea days.

And honestly, one would have been enough for me. The girls were having a great time meeting friends, but I was ready to get home.

I think that I'm not Carnival's target guest. Obviously. So I think writing this TR makes it sound like I didn't like the cruise. But, it's not true. We had a good family trip. My husband and the girls were happy, we saw new places, did new things, had dinner together in the evenings. I read lots of books, played a few trivia games in the lounge, spent time with my husband. All and all it was good.

Wether, CCL would be your cup of tea is totally dependent on what's important to you. But, in the end. The value itself is amazing. I pad 20% of what I paid for my birthday cruise. For two rooms, 8 nights on a new ship, over Easter week. For that reason alone, you can't go wrong.

There is a lot of "kid's stuff" available. A ropes course, water slides, movies on the deck ( though really, "The Hunger Games"?) They totally needed better movies. I found it annoying that to watch a movie in your room it was ALL pay AND $10.99 per. Seriously, for movies that have been on redbox for a year?

The staff was pleasant. Lots of friendly folks who said "Hello" when they walked by. I felt like there was sufficient space except for around the pool which I avoid anyway.

Was it last year we were in Curacao on the way to Bonaire?

We got back after dinner. (I was so not sad about that) and walked around town a little bit. It was already getting dark and then we lost Angus. And I found Tiffany's. Sadly, the lines were long and I had to find my husband so no shopping. (sigh) Keeping it budget friendly here folks, budget friendly.

Tomorrow Aruba.

OP, we are heading to Curacao in June on the Freedom. Same port hours there as you had. From your post, it sounds like the shops near the port were open in the evening after dinner. I'm hoping that's true. How late were they open?

OP, we are heading to Curacao in June on the Freedom. Same port hours there as you had. From your post, it sounds like the shops near the port were open in the evening after dinner. I'm hoping that's true. How late were they open?

I don't know what time they closed. I do know that we finished our tour, went for ice cream in town walked around, missed dinner and were heading back to the ship (it was already getting dark) and Tiffany's was still open. I honestly didn't pay much attention to the other shops, but there were a few there that were. The girls went into tshirt shops and bathing suit shops near the port on our way back to the boat.

That sucks that you missed out on the Jolly Pirates. I stayed for 5 days or so in Aruba 3 or 4 years back and did the Jolly Pirates sail and snorkel tour. It was a great experience and they kept the rum punches flowing freely the whole time. The rope swing was a blast. Definitely in the top 2 or 3 things we did there.

Aruba is busy, touristy and Miami (ish) IMO. I'm not a fan of the high rises on the beach vacation.

I was looking for something different to do there, and came across

http://www.jolly-pirates.com/

I booked the Sail. Snorkel. Swing all inclusive before we ever left. We were to meet at 0830 on Palm Beach ( maybe 15-20 minutes from the port). I woke up super early, couldn't go back to sleep. And of course, I finally did. In our cozy little bat cave of a room. The next thing I know, Angus is up telling me, lets move, it's 7:15 and we need to get going. I'd showered the night before, so I put on a swimsuit, and went to call the girls, picked up my iphone and guess what, it's 8:20. Angus read the clock wrong. ( And I slept through it ) There was no way to dress, get off the ship, get to Palm Beach and catch the boat. So, there was $200 down the drain.

We woke the girls figuring we'd make the best of it. I hate wandering aimlessly with no plans when you're anywhere for a short time. We decided a last minute beach day and headed to Eagle beach as it's less crowded. Well, less crowded is an understatement. There were no chairs and people sleeping on tents on the beach. With nowhere to sit or get something to eat or drink we headed to Palm instead. The Las Vegas of Caribbean beaches. Huzzah. At this point, I wanted to scrap it. But, I tried to keep a happy face for the girls. We walked down the beach and found a place to rent chairs ($60 for 4, are you kidding me!?) I bought a couple diet cokes in the beach bar and got on free wifi just long enough to find out my son (home watching the dogs) had popped a tire while parking my car and give him the CC info to replace it so I had a vehicle when I got home. Caroline was not at peak performance. After a while we canned it and headed back to the ship. Crappy day. Definitely NOT budget friendly. We did not even take pictures.

That sucks that you missed out on the Jolly Pirates. I stayed for 5 days or so in Aruba 3 or 4 years back and did the Jolly Pirates sail and snorkel tour. It was a great experience and they kept the rum punches flowing freely the whole time. The rope swing was a blast. Definitely in the top 2 or 3 things we did there.

We were totally disappointed. I can't believe we messed it up.

Hi Tammy!

Loved your review! So this is funny...I was scrolling down, reading your review when I realized your hubby looked awfully familiar. I went to Wando High School with Angus. We were in the same group of friends. And of course thanks to the magic of Facebook I had seen of lot of his pictures from the cruise already.

What a small world!

Thanks for the review. It seems like you had a couple of good port days (and some not so good port days).

Funny - how you felt about Carnival's dining room is how I felt about Disney's dining room. Most nights I skipped entrees (or couldn't eat them because they were bad - I mean I can understand lobster that's a bit mushy but not where it comes out of the shell like soup).

To each their own I guess.

The Italian place only charges for dinner.

There is no charge for lunch.

The best time to visit is the first day or two before people realize it's there.

If you wait til the latter half of your cruise be prepared to wait upt to an hour for a table.

Great review…funny and a good read!! We love Carnival..or did…until last cruise when they served me an Irish Coffee in a paper cup:eek: Hate to see the decline in service…

Hoping to go back to the ABC islands next year..so appreciate the links for tours….doing Hal for that cruise hopefully.

Hi Tammy!

Loved your review! So this is funny...I was scrolling down, reading your review when I realized your hubby looked awfully familiar. I went to Wando High School with Angus. We were in the same group of friends. And of course thanks to the magic of Facebook I had seen of lot of his pictures from the cruise already.

What a small world!

That's crazy. You never know who you'll bump into on the internet!

Thanks for the review. It seems like you had a couple of good port days (and some not so good port days).

Funny - how you felt about Carnival's dining room is how I felt about Disney's dining room. Most nights I skipped entrees (or couldn't eat them because they were bad - I mean I can understand lobster that's a bit mushy but not where it comes out of the shell like soup).

To each their own I guess.

I will say that I think the food on the classic ships is considerably better than the food on the new ships. DCL isn't my favorite food either. That would be X. :)

Thanks for the positive comments folks. As you can see, CCL and DCL are our cruise lines of choice ( and I definitely lean towards DCL ). I wrote this review originally for a Disney page but thought I'd share here.

It was a good cruise and a value that couldn't be beat.

Tammycacb, great honest review....glad it was a good time and you are great about sharing pros and cons and your opinion...I went from high to low on my 2 Carnival cruises food and dining room service wise which makes me want to try something else next time..but the prices as a solo lately are just hard to say no to...considering trying to swing a back to back and maybe mix a budget Carnival with older food menu and another line if I get a great deal on them...so expensive for me to fly..that would be perfect...you were just great..and humorous and thanks for review..lol..have nieces in that place now..darling girls...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

This was our 5th. We've also done 5 DCL, 2 RCCL, 1 X and 1 NCL. Hands down this food (in the dining room) was hands down the worst I've ever had on a cruise.

Could you elaborate on the different foods so we can kinda get others opinions as food is really hard to judge on such a blanket statement?. Unfortunatley, food is an important issue when I look for a cruise. Breeze is on my future bucket list and this is very discouraging. Some detailed descriptions would help alot. Thanks!

Could you elaborate on the different foods so we can kinda get others opinions as food is really hard to judge on such a blanket statement?. Unfortunatley, food is an important issue when I look for a cruise. Breeze is on my future bucket list and this is very discouraging. Some detailed descriptions would help alot. Thanks!

My absolute biggest complaint is with the beef. The consistency wasn't even "beef like", the gravy was the 49 cent stuff you buy at the Pig and mix with water and pour on. I eat beef, chicken and fish quite a bit ( don't eat pork or shellfish except shrimp). I hated the prime rib, filet and flat iron steak. The chicken was bready and gross. I had mahi one night that was ok (here I'll admit in live in coastal SC and our fish is fresh caught and cooked so I'm used to better).

As I said, both my husband and the girls were more pleased with the dining room than I was. So, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

My absolute biggest complaint is with the beef. The consistency wasn't even "beef like", the gravy was the 49 cent stuff you buy at the Pig and mix with water and pour on. I eat beef, chicken and fish quite a bit ( don't eat pork or shellfish except shrimp). I hated the prime rib, filet and flat iron steak. The chicken was bready and gross. I had mahi one night that was ok (here I'll admit in live in coastal SC and our fish is fresh caught and cooked so I'm used to better).

As I said, both my husband and the girls were more pleased with the dining room than I was. So, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Definitely take her opinion with a grain of salt. Food preferences are very subjective. We were on the Breeze last November and my Wisconsin-born wife said that the prime rib, filet & flat iron was some of the best she'd ever had. And myself as a Florida native thought the seafood was excellent. Overall we thought the food was awesome. Also incredible choices other than MDR.

Everyone's opinions on food will vary. Don't let any of them (including mine) discourage you from cruising on the Breeze.

I really enjoyed your review. :) I'd love to do a cheap cruise, but I don't think I could stand an interior room. I need daylight. I'm so spoiled I don't even want to go without a balcony. We could easily drive to Charleston but the Fantasy is a small ship without a lot of balcony rooms, so we haven't wanted to try that option. But then we don't cruise very often because we can't afford it. Maybe someday we will, but I still don't think I'd make it in an interior room. As for food, on our last cruise I talked my husband into trying the steak house and we both were disappointed. I actually liked the food and the service in the MDR better. And yet folks rave about the steak house on Carnival. I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact that it was a European cruise and had a lot more European cruisers than the typical Caribbean cruise or what. We did notice that they seemed to try to cater to the large number of cruisers from the UK in their meal choices including full English breakfast options on the Lido.