12 Hour Layover at LAX, what can we do

We are flying to Australia next January 22, arriving in LAX at 10:30AM (on United Airlines from Cleveland, OH). Our next flight is not until 10:20PM on Qantas. I would like to go over to the Hollywood area for a few hours to see some of the sights, mainly the Stars Walk of Fame. I see we might be able to take a bus from the LAX airport to the area, and will arrive right there. Thought maybe we could spend a few hours touring, grab a bit to eat, and return to LAX. We will only have a small carry on of luggage to tote around with us. Can anyone from this area give me some insight on doing this?

We are flying to Australia next January 22, arriving in LAX at 10:30AM (on United Airlines from Cleveland, OH). Our next flight is not until 10:20PM on Qantas. I would like to go over to the Hollywood area for a few hours to see some of the sights, mainly the Stars Walk of Fame. I see we might be able to take a bus from the LAX airport to the area, and will arrive right there. Thought maybe we could spend a few hours touring, grab a bit to eat, and return to LAX. We will only have a small carry on of luggage to tote around with us. Can anyone from this area give me some insight on doing this?

If there was anyway to change you inbound LAX flight so that you could spend at least one night in LA (many LAX major chain hotels are dirt cheap with a little research and advance planning), I'd advise you to do that.

Why?

Expecting an "on time" flight originating from a northeastern city in January is a gamble. Regardless of how you plan to get to the "local sights," if it has tires (public or private), you will quickly come to appreciate the SNAFU that is L.A. traffic (both going and coming) And then there's the reality that many of the "sights" are not exactly within "sight" of each other.

Add a non-airport sit down meal to the mix AND the expectation that you'll get back to LAX with enough time to spare for pre-boarding a international flight and you'll understand why you haven't been getting many immediate responses to your post.

Doable, yes. Wise, not IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Easiest would be to rent a car. You have less time than you think. Maybe seven or eight hours, including drive time.

The Freeway system can stop at any time for any reason. Doesn't even have to be on the same side of the freeway to have a major slowdown. Two night ago there was several major accidents shutting down one of the major freeways.

For International travel at LAX you really need those suggested three hours to get thru security, etc in the Tom Bradley International Terminal. And, at times it has taken us 45 minutes just to get to the TBIT once inside the airport horseshoe. Would have been quicker to walk.

Edited by SadieN

Thanks for your replies. We do not want the hassle of renting a car. I do know it will take alot of time to get through Security. Whatever we plan to do, we will be back to LAX by 6:00 for our 10:20 flight out. If we go to Hollywood, we will not spend but a couple hours there. We may decide to just go over to the beach area closet to LAX and just get lunch.

Santa Monica is close to LAX and has lovely beaches with a wide paved walking path alongside, many good restaurants, and a pedestrian mall with interesting shops. Hopefully LAX offers storage lockers where you could stash your bags for the day.

• 2 months later...

Deb,

We are on the same cruise with you in January. There are 2 new LAX Flyaway buses, one just opening which connects LAX with Santa Monica a short walk to the beach. The second is scheduled to open in September connecting LAX and Hollywood. Google LAX Flyaway for details. Fare is $8 each way. We take the flyaway from Van Nuys to LAX whenever we fly out. Very convenient service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Deb,

We are on the same cruise with you in January. There are 2 new LAX Flyaway buses, one just opening which connects LAX with Santa Monica a short walk to the beach. The second is scheduled to open in September connecting LAX and Hollywood. Google LAX Flyaway for details. Fare is $8 each way. We take the flyaway from Van Nuys to LAX whenever we fly out. Very convenient service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here's the info for the flyaway--

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=10086

Another Flyaway route you could take is the one to Union Station http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/LAX .

From there you can check out Olvera Street http://www.olvera-street.com/, eat at Phillipe's http://www.philippes.com/ and walk around ChinaTown http://www.chinatownla.com/ .

Bonus--Lot's of Hollywood filming is done at Union Station.

Edited by SadieN

• 2 weeks later...

The flyaway bus looks convenient, but the the original poster, you'll have to go from Terminal 7 over to Terminal 1, which isn't so bad because there are shuttle buses that take you around, or you can walk straight across. Here's a map:

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/pdf/LAX%20Airline%20Location%20Map.pdf

But when you get to Santa Monica, the stop is near the Civic Auditorium, a bit out of the way, but not that far from Santa Monica Place (shopping center) and close to the Pier and Palisades Park. Across from Santa Monica Place is Third Street Promenade, which is a pedestrian zone. Great if you want to shop or eat or go to a movie.

You could take the SuperShuttle for about $32 for the two of you. Tell them you're going to the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel (which is where the first Academy Awards were held in 1929). You'll be right on Hollywood Blvd. Find out from the driver when he can pick you up from that same spot. I believe it's a tad cheaper if you do a round trip.

The flyaway bus looks convenient, but the the original poster, you'll have to go from Terminal 7 over to Terminal 1, which isn't so bad because there are shuttle buses that take you around, or you can walk straight across. Here's a map:

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LAX/pdf/LAX%20Airline%20Location%20Map.pdf

The Flyaway bus pick up from the 'middle' sidewalk, in front of every terminal. Only reason to walk thru the parking lots to Terminal 1 is when the busses that are coming around are all full.

• 4 weeks later...