Construction of the Suite Dining Room on the Summit?

Smurfette76

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

We have booked one the much coveted aft Sky Suites (6145) on the Summit for late March 2015. Lucky us! Thanks to this board we jumped on it when we spied it. We loved our recent Reflection cruise and decided to take the plunge for next year even though the Summit is an older vessel. The itinerary, price and availability of that suite was hard to beat! We've never booked a vacation this far in advance and I'm already so excited!

Having said that, we know according to posts here that Celebrity is planning on opening a suite dining room in the port side of the MDR in April of 2015. We're not at all concerned about missing out on this privilege. We'll be happy with or without it.

What worries us is that it doesn't appear (from my research) that the Summit is going to dry dock next year. Which means, at some point, the Main Dining Room will be under construction for the suites restaurant. Since stateroom 6145 is right on top of where the suite dining room is supposed to go, we're a wee concerned about construction noise during our cruise. I don't want to jump into the speculation pool but I am wondering how this is going to roll out... One of the Penthouses is port side above the MDR, too. I can't imagine Celebrity wanting to irritate those who pay for that suite so perhaps I'm making much ado about nothing!

So I guess my question is does anyone know if Celebrity would do major renovations during a sailing? Things like Michael's Club refitting and spa changeovers are an inconvenience but not noisy. Just curious...

Thanks for your insight! I promise to post my Reflection trip report soon! It's too long right now so I'm trying to edit it! :)

Happy travels!

Edited by Smurfette76
Left out a paragraph.

I was just going to reply and then saw the post about deletions and am confused but I will just post what I was planning to say anyway.

I have been watching the threads about suite dining and had not seen the speculation about the port side of the MDR being used for suite dining. Is this the lower or upper level of the MDR? The upper level port side is currently Blu on M-class ships. So they are unlikely to use that. My theory that, on M-class ships, they will use the current Select Dining area which is on the upper level on the starbord side. There are other theories on other threads about Select Dining post-April 2015.

If I am correct, it is perfectly posisble to do the work while passengers are on board without disturbing penthouse guests.

It is also possible that, like Michael's Club, the suite dining room will be rolled out on each ship as and when it is ready and before April 2015. Again, no inside knowledge just thinking about the logisitics.

Only a section of the main dining room's upper level on the port side is currently used for Blu on M-class ships.

The rest of the upper level on the port side is used for overflow from either select dining or traditional dining, or sometimes both, depending upon need.

The prime tables at the back with the views of the wake and all the tables along the railing are outside of Blu.

Important considerations would be whether or not the space surrounding Blu will accommodate the size of the suite dining room they are planning, and the location of the galley that the suite dining room will use.

It won't need to be a very large dining room, even spreading out the tables, as suite passengers are relatively few in number, certainly far fewer than the aqua class passengers.

The suite dining room won't even need to be large enough to hold all the suite passengers.

Considering how many other dining options are available to suite passengers, it would be extremely unlikely that they would all want to eat there at the same time, or even all on the same night.

Breakfast hours would be staggered too, and a good number would likely prefer to have breakfast in their suite anyway.

But the most important management decision of all:

- Will they provide a separate waffle station just for suite passengers?

Only a section of the main dining room's upper level on the port side is currently used for Blu on M-class ships.

The rest of the upper level on the port side is used for overflow from either select dining or traditional dining, or sometimes both, depending upon need.

The prime tables at the back with the views of the wake and all the tables along the railing are outside of Blu.

Important considerations would be whether or not the space surrounding Blu will accommodate the size of the suite dining room they are planning, and the location of the galley that the suite dining room will use.

It won't need to be a very large dining room, even spreading out the tables, as suite passengers are relatively few in number, certainly far fewer than the aqua class passengers.

The suite dining room won't even need to be large enough to hold all the suite passengers.

Considering how many other dining options are available to suite passengers, it would be extremely unlikely that they would all want to eat there at the same time, or even all on the same night.

Breakfast hours would be staggered too, and a good number would likely prefer to have breakfast in their suite anyway.

But the most important management decision of all:

- Will they provide a separate waffle station just for suite passengers?

Celebrity have said that there would be 50 to 60 seats in the suite dining room. I am finding it hard to visualise the area you describe so I am not sure if that number of tables would fit. How is the area accessed? Is it through Select Dining?

As for numbers of suite guests, Aqua class only allow 2 per stateroom but suites frequently have more than 2 guests. This makes estimating the number of suite guests on any cruise much more difficult.

As for the galley for the suite dining room, it will surely be a section of the existing galley on M-class ships as all the galleys on those ships are connected.

It has to be a logistical nightmare. Both the building of the room and the planning of its size. With all the dining options available each night to the suite guests they must pull their hair out trying to figure how big to build it. I don't think they want a room so big that it will look like an empty concert hall when the suite guests are dining at one of the specialty restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app