Cabin electricial current on Spirit

rfkeith10

The world has two standard electrical standards. 110V 60 cycle and 240V 50 cycle. U.S. standard is the first and it is the same for half of Japan and most/much of Asia. The Spirit was built for international travelers and so has at minimum one of each type of outlet in every cabin. Amperage is sufficient on both systems to run every possible type of electric device you could bring on board, i.e. shavers, cell phones etc.

Amperage is sufficient on both systems to run every possible type of electric device you could bring on board, i.e. shavers, cell phones etc.

Shavers and cell phones will be fine , but bring a high wattage blow dryer and you will be joining the poster above with a blown fuse.

If I remember correctly it was 500w limit on the 110V plugs.

Realize as well that the 240v 50 cycle is the European outlet as opposed to the British. This is standard on at least all the ships we have cruised. Most of the outlets around the ship were the 240v European....if you want to plug in a laptop etc elsewhere on the ship. The European outlet accepts two round prongs in a round recessed outlet, British takes the three square prongs. You can find European power strips on Amazon if you want to increase your capacity. Most of these have universal outlets so you can plug a laptop or other universal voltage power supply with a US plug into it.

Edited by Raleigh Traveler

What "RT" said - stateroom's hairdryer is rated at 1,000 watts and runs on 220-240 volts, same for the coffee maker or hot water kettle as supplied by the ship.

Except for those "giant" 17" laptop computer with higher current drain plus tons of mobile device plugged into the single 110 volt outlet, which should NOT overload the circuit - most users will be fine.

I take a Euro-plug adapter and connect our 11.6" netbook to the 220-240 volt outlet and has NOT had any problems.

You can find these for as little as 99 cents at your local Dollar Store and/or online at your favorite shopping sites.

USA%20to%20Euro-Asia%20220%20Adapter.JPG

USA%20to%20Euro-Asia%20220%20Adapter.JPG

1300410032_USAtoEuro-Asia220Adapter.JPG.58fe14891510eaf1ef011377fc572829.JPG

Edited by mking8288

Shavers and cell phones will be fine , but bring a high wattage blow dryer and you will be joining the poster above with a blown fuse.

If I remember correctly it was 500w limit on the 110V plugs.

Same thing happened to us when I brought my hairdryer from home on the Getaway. It was on the same circuit as the TV and it took them until the next day to get it reset. Used the NCL dryer the rest of the trip.:o.

Just remember that an electrical device plugged into 220v uses half the current of the same device plugged into 110v. So, if you have high wattage appliances (hair dryers, curlers, etc) that read "input 100-240vac" on them, you can plug them into either outlet in the cabin, and using the 220v outlet will reduce the chance of popping the circuit breaker.

You can also discount the 50 cycle/60 cycle difference. The ship will generate one or the other, not both, as the cycles or frequency of the current is dependent on the speed of the generator (barring the use of expensive frequency drives, which they don't use for cabin power). Frequency does not affect electronics since the plug contains a power converter that changes the ac to dc power. Frequency also does not affect heating appliances. Frequency will affect the speed that electric motors run at, so a 50 cycle hair dryer from the UK will turn faster when plugged into 60 cycle power, but it is not harmful for the motor. The big problem with varying cycles is clocks. Most plug in clocks rely on the frequency of the power supply to provide the "tick". Changing a 60 cycle clock to 50 cycles will slow the clock significantly. This is also why plug in clocks run more erratically on ships than ashore, since the "grid" ashore is a rock steady 60 cycles, while the ship will fluctuate during the day from 59-61 cycles.