Shuttle bus sticker shock

doublebzz

[interesting that on my shuttle bus, everyone I encountered negatively commented about the cost, but, with a couple of exceptions, everyone commenting on this thread is OK with the price. So maybe folks take one view when dealing in the abstract and another when faced with a real situation.

The only point of agreement I have with your post is that cruise prices have stayed flat for the last decade or more. I hope nobody believe the HAL cruise of 2000 is the same as the HAL cruise of 2014. All refinement and elegance of 2000 has been transformed into a floating infomercial hawking everything from rummage sales on the Lido Deck to after-dinner coffees.

Come on! Didn't you expect this! I don't know anyone who would expect the same service in 2014 as they had in 2000 with cabin prices being kept so low, except on the Prinsendam &/or on Oceania.. This just proves my point.. If you want the same service you have to be willing to pay more for it.. As mentioned in my previous post Cruise Lines must increase their cabin prices in order to give the same service which we had 10-15 years ago...But there are more people, including the complainers who were on the shuttle busses with you, who still want the lower cabin prices & are not willing to pay increased prices for anything extra & then complain that they are not getting the same service as they had 10 years ago..

I am not complaining that I had to pay $15; I would gladly pay $30 if that were the going rate. I just don't like being taken.

SNIP .

Then why didn't you acknowledge my post where I showed you that the GOING Rate in Palma according to the Ports of call board was $12.00 You conveniently ignore that, but continue to complain about HAL charging more for those tickets! Suggest you do more homework & look at the ports of call boards & prove to us that you are being taken, before you make such inflammatory statements! What about the other ports..What were those shuttle prices? I'm sure you did not go to only two ports on your cruise..

If you want free shuttles then book on the Prinsendam or Oceania..You get what you pay for!

I don't understand why you made this so personal and so misrepresented what I said.

Where do you draw they conclusion that I was looking for free shuttle bus service? If I use this service, I expect the cost to be reasonable which was exactly my point. And on what basis do you make the assumption that those who complained are not willing to pay higher prices? I, for one, wish HAL would increase their prices and maintain their former level of service. With respect to you point that the going rate in Palma is $12, I didn't realized this was a law suit in which I had to defend point by point. By the way, I live in Spain for two months year, in April and October, and know what the transportation costs are. I was in Palma last year and I don't recall the shuttle bus being anywhere near $12.

What proof do I have that HAL is taking a piece of the action? No smoking gun but consider this. Of 8 TA's and 2 Med cruises in the last 5 years, this is the first time HAL was involved in collecting fares. When the bus companies did it, the gave you 2 tickets, one for the return. Here, a HAL sticker was given to show you purchased a ticket. However, on the return, nobody checked to see if you purchased a return and the bus operator couldn't be less interested. Believe me, the Spaniards are very circumspect with regard to whether you have a ticket when its in their interest to do so.

If you feel paying $7.50 for a short bus ride, fine; but phase down you rhetoric, please.

Buses in Europe are CHEAP!! (UK - not cheap).

If there's a public bus available at ports - I'd say use it. Not worth arguing about, because everyone will do as they please :cool:

Most people who travel (not just cruise), will find out about public transport from A to B themselves, anyway.

You bear out my supposition - folks that were actually on the cruise thought the shuttle fares excessive while it appears fine to those just commenting on the thread.

Shuttle bus aside, I thought it was a great cruise and the smoothest crossing I've ever experienced. I concur with your opinion of the entertainment but thought the excellent service, quality of the food and congeniality of our fellow guests more than made up for it.

I suspect if folks had been on the shuttles they would understand our point of view better.

Agree crossing was very smooth and like you say food, service was very good. I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the guest speaker who provided historical perspective to the ports we were visiting. The speaker had quiet a following, I attended every talk and it was nice that they were not sale pitches.

I suspect if folks had been on the shuttles they would understand our point of view better.

Agree crossing was very smooth and like you say food, service was very good. I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the guest speaker who provided historical perspective to the ports we were visiting. The speaker had quiet a following, I attended every talk and it was nice that they were not sale pitches.

Agree completely and enjoyed the speakers as well. Not enjoying my 3 hour flight delay here in Barcelona airport today, however.

I was on the same TA and I agree with the OP that the Hal shuttle prices were a bit steep. As a comparison the private one way transfer into Gibraltor from the port was I think 2 euros each way and in Malaga last year the port shuttle was about 3 euros each way I think. In Lisbon last year the HOHO bus came right to our port and we paid I think 10 Euros for that and no need for a shuttle. IMHO I think that HAL is pricing themselves out of the market with the price of their shuttles and many shore excursions. Certainly in cases of 2-4 people it is often cheaper to hire a taxi or take public transit for trips closer to the ship and even for airport transfers. Once getting off the ship in Barcelona April 20 a group of us paid 10 euros each for a transfer to the airport in a van we pre-arranged while HAL wanted $39 per person for the 30 minute ride. In Horta a group of us organized a wonderful whale watching trip for 55 euros per person while HAL wanted $140 for a similar trip-in the end they cancelled the excursion because not enough people signed up. In fact the interest was there but their price was too high in most peoples minds so they ended up making nothing in that port on that excursion-they simply priced themselves too far above the local providers. I do enjoy HAL but unless an excusion is a far distance( for eg the Alhambra) from the ship I feel I get better value doing my own tours/walks/taxis.