Cruise Excursion price discrepency

I was just looking at the offered excursions on our cruise this summer.

Just a little frustrated with HAL at the moment.

First, half the excursions are now showing in other languages (not english - looks mainly like dutch). Ok dont know why this is but I can still go back to my original printout of excursions.

However when I was taking a closer look at them, I found one tour which is obviously the same (just different languages). Same departure time, same places listed. The english version is more expensive than the dutch version. I tried asking a HAL representative (online) and he tried claiming it was because the Euro is more valuable than the USD. Ummm, all prices for excursions on their website are in USD not Euros. (He tried telling me that is because I am in the US - which I am not, I am in Canada and cant see CAD prices). All charges on board are in USD. So what does the exchange have to do with it.... my theory - nothing. So why are some tours different prices for different languages?

Any ideas?

Can you tell us which specific tour you're referring to? I've seen, much more often now than in the past, the same excursion listed in multiple languages...but never with different prices -- let alone different currencies.:confused:

Don't think some of the Seattle employees know their a** from their elbow. I would prefer to wait until I got on the ship. You could also check your roll call to see if anyone is doing a similar private excursion. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Holland does put some Spanish speaking tours on line ..

...as well as Dutch and German.

I'm still curious to hear more details from the OP. I've never myself seen any price difference based on language or excursions priced in multiple currencies.

For one, the tour of Lucca and Pisa. In the English tour - it leaves at 7:45 and is $104.95 for adults. In the dutch one it also leaves at the same time - mentions the same locations, same length of time and is $99.95 for adults. I saw others too but this one is the first I saw with the discrepancy.

I understand it is only a couple of dollars but it made me quite upset that the agent tried making reasons which dont hold water. It just doesnt make sense to blame the difference in the Euro vs USD when all transactions are in USD.

We will be waiting to book on board likely however there is also a chance we will try to go it alone.

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

Very interesting...

I never noticed this is the past but am going to keep my eyes open for price differences like this in the future. Nothing I could do about it anyway since I only speak English -- doubt there will be any shore excursions offered in Latin:roll eyes: -- but I am curious about the reason.

Edited by Aruba

Could I hazard to guess that the price discrepancy is because the vendors cost to HAL is different as they could be different vendors providing the tours ?? Other than that, it makes no sense.....