Where to eat lunch the first day?

mnjcruiser

I will be on the May 25th Breakaway cruise to Bermuda. We plan to be at the port by 10:30 a.m. and hopefully be on the ship for lunch. I would imagine the buffet will be very busy that day. Will there be any other restaurants open other than the buffet?

Main dining room is a wonderful way to start off the cruise if you are not in a suite. If you are in a suite then Cagney's is the place to be. If you eat in the main dining room after your meal to make yourself feel extra great, go check out the buffet. Embarkation day at the buffet is a free for all frenzy...lol. You just had a nice quiet meal served to you and then go see the zoo (it calms way down after embarkation afternoon) confirms you made the right choice :D

Assuming that you don't have VIP/Priority Boarding or Haven status, getting there by 10:30 AM should get you very low # in group/zone for boarding - and they used 2 gangways, FWD and AFT to board the ship efficiently via Deck 7, with elevators nearby once you step inside - BUT, the elevators could get crowded (Garden Cafe/Buffet is Deck 15, so a long "hike" up - especially if you got "heavy" carry-ons or luggages (that's why we mostly let the porters move them & load them onto the ship, for a nominal tip)

Generally speaking, you are allowed to stop by the cabin to drop off the luggage as they are usually not 100% ready, hang up the heavier jackets or coats, put the luggage away inside the closet & lock up valuables inside the mini-safe first, and lock/close the cabin door on your way out. Maybe say hi to your Steward so s/he know you are the occupants and then go to lunch. Or, if you are early enough, head for lunch straight if you can manage.

On the Breakaway, the trick is to go to the back (AFT) of the buffet early where it is NOT as crowded & nicer, the food stations are identical at all four corners/sections. For May, if it's nice & warm, maybe head outside for a table with chairs MIDship.

Otherwise, one of the MDR - Savor or Taste is open, 1 deck below on Deck 6 and get pampered by the server (our usual preference) or head for O'Sheehans for comfort food/causal lunch - toward FWD section of the ship.

If you are onboard early enough, it's up to you as it won't be packed solid or crowded at any of the open restaurants - with 500 people ahead of you, there are still 3,500 coming behind you to get onto the BA. Enjoy a relaxing lunch - plenty of buffet tables for 2's and 4's too.

I heartily recommend the main dining room for lunch. The food is good and the service and atmosphere are superior. I'd also suggest that you use the same venue for your breakfast. Breakfast in the main dining room is wonderful and they look the other way when you sneak in your maple syrup that we know you have stashed in your gym bag. :cool: there is really no reason to hide your obsession. You comes to breakfast with a simple enough desire , to get filled up with bad for your health breakfast fare. Don't be ashamed! And if they say to you that that's a "ginormous amount of food for a " one eyed fat man " , well don't you take it! You take the reins in your teeth and the forks in your mitts and you yell out "fill your hands you son of a bitch!" Thus when people pass your dusty old grave some day, they'll do so with awe, and they'll be proud to have known you.You understood life. You grabbed it by the throat. You stomped it and kicked it to the side like so much third grade road kill,

I heartily recommend the main dining room for lunch. The food is good and the service and atmosphere are superior. I'd also suggest that you use the same venue for your breakfast. Breakfast in the main dining room is wonderful and they look the other way when you sneak in your maple syrup that we know you have stashed in your gym bag. :cool: there is really no reason to hide your obsession. You comes to breakfast with a simple enough desire , to get filled up with bad for your health breakfast fare. Don't be ashamed! And if they say to you that that's a "ginormous amount of food for a " one eyed fat man " , well don't you take it! You take the reins in your teeth and the forks in your mitts and you yell out "fill your hands you son of a bitch!" Thus when people pass your dusty old grave some day, they'll do so with awe, and they'll be proud to have known you.You understood life. You grabbed it by the throat. You stomped it and kicked it to the side like so much third grade road kill,

Love this comment. Thanks for making my day.

If not in a suite, we always head to the main dining room that is open. They will try to steer you to the buffet, but don't fall for it. Just ask which main dining room is open and start out your cruise being waited on. It is a quiet atmosphere after the hustle and bustle of getting to the pier, waiting in lines to board etc.

Then you can check out your room, as they are usually ready after we finish our lunch. Then head to the party on deck and order up your first drink!

I like your way of thinking and I want to party with you!!!!

This made me SMILE and almost choke on my salad....

I'm assuming the same places will be open on the Getaway including the Tropicana Room?

I've seen menus posted for main dining room dinner but not lunch.

Anyone have a link to that? Getaway MDR lunch for week.

I'm pretty sure only Taste and Savor are open for lunch on embarkation day on the Getaway.

Here's the lunch menu for the Getaway from my 3/8/14 sailing. If it has changed recently, someone will point that out.

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

Thanks, John! What you provided gives me a good enough idea of what to expect.

I'm pretty sure only Taste and Savor are open for lunch on embarkation day on the Getaway.

Here's the lunch menu for the Getaway from my 3/8/14 sailing. If it has changed recently, someone will point that out.

Edited by Accessbowtie