Breakaway: Before... and After

Tralfie

Ok. Since you have done the research. Please send a link. We all know that the info on the internet never lies. The celebrity millennium is getting really bad reviews right now. Celebrity is owned by Rccl. Shouldn't they be protecting this ship?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

You could have googled it yourself but Meet the Royal Caribbean Champions

http://consumerist.com/2009/03/08/royal-caribbean-caught-infiltrating-review-sites-with-viral-marketing-team/

Edited by iimmie

http://consumerist.com/2009/03/08/royal-caribbean-caught-infiltrating-review-sites-with-viral-marketing-team/

Interesting....

I've often felt some Trip Advisor reviews were faked, even though it almost sounds like these people do not really know they are being used. No where does it say Cruise Critic is owned by RCCL, though.

Maybe this explains why some people here report getting VIP status and no one knows why?

Interesting....

I've often felt some Trip Advisor reviews were faked, even though it almost sounds like these people do not really know they are being used. No where does it say Cruise Critic is owned by RCCL, though.

Maybe this explains why some people here report getting VIP status and no one knows why?

I don't believe it is but they were using cruise critic for their fake reviews (as it is the largest forum out there it was cited and there was a huge backlash here a few years ago. As far as the VIP status there are a few hard core gamblers on here that have it but only a few, I bet if you search the screen names of them (not the ones with CAS histories) you will pull up a bunch of glowing RCI reviews from them.

Edited by iimmie

Thanks for that! Although I haven't actually heard about it before it was something that I always suspected was happening. Many of the very negative reviews I have read seemed to have a "Royal" slant to them. Some of them were so outlandish that to me they were obviously faked.

Thanks for that! Although I haven't actually heard about it before it was something that I always suspected was happening. Many of the very negative reviews I have read seemed to have a "Royal" slant to them. Some of them were so outlandish that to me they were obviously faked.

They probably were, funny the person questioning me on it never responded so I guess they didn't like what they read or they didn't like getting called out.

Curious to know their NCL reviews look like

and that was what my point was. I have yet to go on a RCCL cruise, but read many of the reviews of various ships. They look like they have been written up by the Royal Champions just for the purpose of discrediting the Breakaway... SOLELY due to get people hyped up for the Quantum, which will be sailing right across the river.

If you read into some of them, they were from people who obviously have never sailed on Breakaway, and were making insinuations of how it would be from how RC currently operates.

And I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I don't get to sail on her until October 19th and all reviews good/bad/indifferent still have me uber excited for my very first and hopefully annual cruise life love hearing all points of view and you can tell who's just plan miserable and looking for a freebie over who really had a mishap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I don't get to sail on her until October 19th and all reviews good/bad/indifferent still have me uber excited for my very first and hopefully annual cruise life love hearing all points of view and you can tell who's just plan miserable and looking for a freebie over who really had a mishap

She is a fantastic ship. We will be back on her for the 2nd time in 3 months next week, and for the 3rd time in a year next Feb. No issues from us :D

I sailed the Breakaway in March and, I'll be honest, I very nearly cancelled in the months leading up to it. Reading bad review after bad review nearly scared me off.

Of course, if you've read my review (linked in my signature), it turned out to be the best vacation I've ever had.

So I'm curious: For people who, like me, read the bad reviews... what most surprised you the most as far as things you feared... only to find out there was no need?

In other words, what pleasantly surprised you by being far better than you'd expected based on the reviews?

Richard/Tralfie

This is completely unrelated to the question asked above...but I must tell you...I just read your Breakaway review (as linked in your signature ;)) ...and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a review as much as I did yours! Thank you so much for your thoughtful, comprehensive & very witty review!

I have a question I'm hoping you can answer. Like you, I'm a solo cruiser (& I love it ;))...and I'm cruising the Breakaway this coming Sunday. I, like you, bought the UDP. I'd purchased the UDP on my recent Gem cruise and it worked out very well. Prior to that cruise (4/5/14), I made my dining reservations ahead of time, online, on the NCL website.

For this Breakaway cruise I attempted to do the same thing...make my reservations ahead of time. However, the system wouldn't let me...saying something like "unavailable"..so I called NCL to do it over the phone with an NCL rep. I was shocked when she said she couldn't do it either...because I'm a solo cruiser :eek:...they needed a minimum of 2 to book it :eek:. She said I had to arrange for my dinners once I board the ship :eek:.

Did this happen to you? How did you accomplish your reservations? Before boarding (if so, how?) or once onboard?

Many thanks, once again, for a really fabulous review! Too bad you're not on my 10/27/2014 Gem cruise...I think you're a hoot! :D

Edited by cv322

try to purchase it on board. The UDP is on an individual basis. No idea why it couldn't be bought over the phone. We were able to purchase it over the phone for our last sailing.

So sorry, you're misunderstanding me :o...I DID purchase the UDP online...but was unable to make my reservations at Le Bistro, Cagney's, Moderno, etc. online! And then, I couldn't make them over the phone either (she said because I am solo)!

She is a fantastic ship. We will be back on her for the 2nd time in 3 months next week, and for the 3rd time in a year next Feb. No issues from us :D

I think I'm more excited for the Food lol losing 40lbs to gain it back on the ship

All those posts are five years old. And all the cheering in the world won't silence one blogger with a beef against a company. NCL has a quality product with some innovative marketing strategies - as does RCCL and all the other mass market lines.

They probably were, funny the person questioning me on it never responded so I guess they didn't like what they read or they didn't like getting called out.

Curious to know their NCL reviews look like

Seriously?? If you only knew how much I don't mind "getting called out."

In two weeks I will be on the BA and I expect it will be a lovely ship - but if I do have any issues, trust me, it won't be some "RCCL conspiracy" - geesh:rolleyes:

And as I am no longer 10 years old, I am going away from this now as it has gotten way beyond the original intent of the OP.

Note to self - avoid all posts about smoking and tipping (not again!!!) and iimmie...

We sailed the BA last October and were very concerned especially having only sailed Princess(9x) and Celebrity(3x). I can't say enough about the great time we had on the Breakaway, such as the freestyle experience, 678 Ocean Place, the food, the service, and Vibe. We liked it so much that we are going again in September to Bermuda, and we booked the Pearl for next March.

Edited by Les_Bill

When we first started reading CC, we believed all of the negative reviews, even avoiding looking at some ships because of it. Then due to scheduling we went on the Explorer of the Sea with RCCI. I think it has 72% or something near that. We didn't see what the negative people saw. We still had a great time.

Now I still read reviews but I take them with a grain of salt and have realistic expectations. For example. pools. i have never been on any cruise ship and had the ability to take a swim (with the exception of the adult areas on some ships). I don't expect to, so I am not disappointed.

I think embarking and disembarking is an amazing process. There are so many things that can cause a delay, yet in the 6 cruises we have been on, we have never had much of a problem. Again, you adjust your timing. If you arrive at noon, you are going to wait much longer than if you arrive at 11 or 1. If you bring everything in a carry-on disembarking is a breeze!

I still hold to the truth that any day on a cruise is better than a day at work! And when you average out your per day expenses, it is overall a cheap vacation.

Back to the original question...

I did a lot of reading about the initial sailings, both to Bermuda and Bahamas. We ended up changing our cabin from a mini suite to H6 suite based on the comments about crowds. We live outside a town of 9000 people, there is a hayfield in our backyard...we aren't used to crowds! Yes, I knew we were booked on a mega ship, but we needed a place to escape, and the Haven as well as our balcony were a big reason we enjoyed our trip.

I'm also glad I knew of the children-in-the-Haven controversy, though I wasn't happy about it I also didn't let it ruin our trip.

I was disappointed that NCL wasn't able to move the crowds as well as on other mega ships. Even with suite perks, we were often in very long lines, waiting in stairwells to debark in port. DCL certainly does this better.

As for what was better? The aft balcony. I knew it would be good, I never thought it could be as amazing as it was :). The Haven restaurant was wonderful, beyond my expectations. Service was fantastic, food was very good and there was (almost) always a seat open when we wanted to dine.

Lines for sports, numbers of people in the pool...that was exactly what I expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it always seems like the ones who like it least are the ones who haven't done their homework. :D

That is probably the truest statement I've ever read, both of cruising and of Disney (I, too, am a Disney World junkie).

People will say, "I have never been on a more crowded ship/in a more crowded park" in my life... because they booked a holiday week when the entire world was also off work and able to go.

They will say, "I can't believe how small the balcony was!" despite detailed descriptions and pictures being availble of every category (and, by now, practically ever room!).

They will say, “Nobody told us we had to (fill in the blank)" despite the fact that it was both obvious and/or easily researchable.

I've never understood the mindset that allows people who are spending a good deal of money on a vacation, no matter where they might be going, to just jump in blindly without doing even the most basic of research.

Then again, I find planning a vacation to be ALMOST as much fun as taking one!

Richard/Tralfie

That is probably the truest statement I've ever read, both of cruising and of Disney (I, too, am a Disney World junkie).

People will say, "I have never been on a more crowded ship/in a more crowded park" in my life... because they booked a holiday week when the entire world was also off work and able to go.

They will say, "I can't believe how small the balcony was!" despite detailed descriptions and pictures being availble of every category (and, by now, practically ever room!).

They will say, “Nobody told us we had to (fill in the blank)" despite the fact that it was both obvious and/or easily researchable.

I've never understood the mindset that allows people who are spending a good deal of money on a vacation, no matter where they might be going, to just jump in blindly without doing even the most basic of research.

Then again, I find planning a vacation to be ALMOST as much fun as taking one!

Richard/Tralfie

Very well said. Don't forget the "I couldn't believe how vulgar Rock of Ages was" and you see them walk out with their kids. I know I read that it wasn't meant for children!

A theory has been brewing for quite some time about all the negative reviews of this downright stunning ship.

CC is well known to be owned by RCCL... a competitor with an agenda. Go and look at how many "negative" reviews for the Breakaway are from random usernames with only a single review. Many people feel that RCCL is trying to flood the Breakaway with low reviews so when they bring the new ship across the Hudson, people will book with them instead based on CC.

Except, of course, that like so many things that are "known" on the internets, this isn't true. And honestly, if the success of a ship relies on people being "scared off" by bad reviews, that would indicate some pretty big problems ahead for the line! LOL

Richard/Tralfie

I was pleased to hear that there are many quiet places to sit. Can you suggest some favorites? I'm hoping to find someplace where I can enjoy my Kindle, coffee (but not prepared to run a huge tab at the coffee shop) and people-watch.

Of course, each cruising on a vessel is different, but I found quite a few places to sit and read my Kindle during my week on the breakaway. One place I really enjoyed was in the big, comfy couch-like chairs outside Shaker's Martini Bar on the waterfront. In fact, several places along the waterfront were great for sitting (out of the sun) during the daytime and relaxing. I also found that if you went back near the entrance to Vibe, there was a very nice sitting area there -- right next to a bar -- that was rarely crowded!

I was solo on my cruise, and it was one of -- if not the -- best vacations Ive ever had!

Richard/Tralfie

Of course, if you read that article -- or others about the group -- they don't actually do what you suggested. They, like most of this type of marketing -- work to positively influence the brand they are paid by. In other words, they aren't paid to trash OTHER lines. They are paid to praise the line sending them on cruises and paying their bills. This is an increasingly common practice. It's the equivalent of paying people to go to a hip night club and have loud conversations about the awesome new phone you just bought in an effort to influence those around you. Generally speaking -- and there's no way of knowing if it's true in this particular case -- they have extremely explicit rules about NOT trashing other brands specifically, because that can get you into legal hot water.

Richard/Tralfie

For this Breakaway cruise I attempted to do the same thing...make my reservations ahead of time. However, the system wouldn't let me...saying something like "unavailable"..so I called NCL to do it over the phone with an NCL rep. I was shocked when she said she couldn't do it either...because I'm a solo cruiser :eek:...they needed a minimum of 2 to book it :eek:. She said I had to arrange for my dinners once I board the ship :eek:.

Did this happen to you? How did you accomplish your reservations? Before boarding (if so, how?) or once onboard?

Many thanks, once again, for a really fabulous review! Too bad you're not on my 10/27/2014 Gem cruise...I think you're a hoot! :D

First of all, THANK YOU! Nobody gets tired of hearing people say nice things about something they've written! LOL

I made a bunch of reservations in advance, and at NO time was it ever a problem for me to do so as a solo diner. I'm shocked that they would say this, especially since Breakaway is one of the few ships actually catering to solos via their studio rooms!

Richard/Tralfie

I thought the sheer size would be a massive drawback. It turned out to be a huge asset. Very easy to find cozy, relaxing places and escape the crowds on the Breakaway. I thought the pools would be too small and overcrowded. The "wave" pool turned out to be my favorite pool on a ship ever. I thought maybe the food would not be as good as previous ncl cruises but it was excellent. I thought the theater seats would not be comfortable (there were some complaints about that) but they were just fine. The Breakaway turned out to be my favorite ship after all ! Would love to go back!!