Comparisons of Kids programs among cruise lines?

wahooker

So far, we have been on 2 different cruises with our kids.

Disney Dream

(Kids were 10, 6, 6 and 6)

Carnival Sunshine

(Kids were 12, 8, 8 and 8)

I was really surprised at how different the kids programs on the 2 cruises were.

Disney's program ran all day long, while Carnival's had frequent 1-2 hour blocks where it was not available. (And started much later in the day)

Carnival had 1 activity for kids to do at a certain time slot - If they didn't want to do that, there was not much else for the kids to do. Disney had a huge variety of options, plus some anytime things that kids could do if they didn't want to participate in the main activity.

The kids on Carnival were packed into a very small area, while the kids area on the Disney ship had a ton of space - 2 completely separate areas, so if they needed to clean or reset one, they could move all kids into a different spot.

Staffing was immensely different - On Carnival I think there were maybe 6 staff total - On Disney it was not uncommon to see 3 just at the front area where you sign kids in, and another dozen in the room itself.

Been on about 16 cruises with DD (now 18YO) some of those were with extended family with other kids af various ages at that time. RCCI, Celebrity, Princess, Disney, NCL.

Many differences, many similarities

1. Hours of operation - most lines have time periods throughout the day when they close their clubs. Gives time for staff meetings, allows for prep for activities, allows cleaning staff to come in, and makes some parents actually come pick up their kids :) (There are a minority of parents out there who would/do leave their kids at the kids clubs during every hour they are open and not necessarily just because the kids "love it"). Other clubs will run straight through for the convenience of their pax.
    I can see the pros and cons to different schedule options.
  2. Programming - Some lines have very regimented schedules-this activity at this time for this age group. Some lines will have a featured activity, but have options for other activities. Some lines have multiple featured activities (but tend to have less structure around them)
    Some ships have more facitlities that the program can take advantage of.
    I have found that some lines are more strict about age grouping than others. Some kids have no problem participating in an activity even with kids much older or younger than themselves - others will be turned off or intimidated by a kids program that allows any participant to do any activity.
  3. Staffing - each line has its own standards for the training level of their staff and the staff to pax ratios.
    There are also minimum standards governed by the regulations of the country under whose flag the ship and/or line sails, the country from which the cruise starts and ends, etc.
    If only a small number of Pax under 18 are expected to be on board, the line may decrease the staffing. When lots of kids are booked, they may augment with additional staff.
  4. Size/Amenities - if a kids program is on a ship with alot of other amenities, the kids club may be smaller, since the kids are not probably all going to be in the club rooms at any one given time.
    I've also been on a few cruises with a particularly large portion of kids and the kids programs have been known to "take over" areas that might normally not be used for kids programming in order to accommodate the additional kids.

I've found lots of differences between ships within a line, and among lines. My family cruises primarily for the itinerary and ports, so the differences among kids programming during a particular cruise was not a huge deal for us. If your family cruises primarily for the cruise experience, it makes sense to do your homework prior to booking to make certain that the on-board facilities and programs meet the likes/dislikes of their family members. My DD could go to the water parks an hour away from home to do the flow rider and that stuff; she zip-lined once (and that was quite enough for her); ice skating is no novelty; so a lot of the whiz bang stuff from some of the lines does not attract her. But there are other activities that she really enjoys and that might skew our cruise choice from one line to another, or one ship to another.

Our kids have done the kids camps on Carnival Magic and Royal Caribbean (Navigator) (they are currently 5 and 7). We are glad that both programs had shut down times, or we would never get them out!

Both had designated rooms. The kids had fun in both, and have declared that they would like to alternate between the two ships.

From our perspective, we liked the programming on Royal better. Carnival seemed to have too much screen time -- whether it was computer time or movies. We don't mind the odd movie, especially in the evening...but we prefer the kids to be active and engaged. Royal had a number of events where they would parade through the Promenade -- our 5 year old did an alien walk this year, where they wore cute alien hats and were tracking beings from outer space. They had the pirate parade, which had them all painted up and dressed like pirates, and they did a song and dance. Plus they held a talent show, and had all kids (who wanted to ) do something...our daughter declared "soccer" as her talent and they hauled up a pop up net and put an older boy in net for her to take shots on. Carnival didn't have anything like those activities last year.

On Carnival, kids could eat dinner in the buffet with their camp buddies each night (which was a highlight for our daughter...made her feel grown up). On Royal, it was every second night. But on the nights where there was no camp dinner, the counselors picked the kids up at the dining room prior to camp opening. We thought it was a nice touch.

But, again, from the kids perspective, they loved them both and wouldn't hesitate to go to either. Our daughter woke up every morning and, even before opening her eyes would ask, is kid's camp open yet.

Carnival Sunshine is over 18 years old while Disney Dream is only 3 years old. There have been a lot of changes to cruise ships in the past 20 years.

On our Disney cruise, parents were allowed to enter the space to find their kids, not sure if that has changed. Every time I was in there, there were 2-3 at the desk and usually no one with the kids. On every other cruise we've been on, the staff is playing with the kids.

Since we have taken 2-4 cruises per year for 27 years. We have 2 daughters age 9 and 24, so we have utilized LOTS of kids clubs. I would say we prefer kid's club by specific ship, not cruiseline. Norwegian Epic is probably our favorite so far. It is a large open space with floor to ceiling windows. While we have been frustrated with overcrowding over Thanksgiving week, I don't think there has been a kid's club that our girls have not liked. While Princess does not offer a lot of the updated outdoor kids activities, the kid's club has been wonderful. Our DD has really enjoyed the free stuffed animals and lessons on endangered animals.

I think each kid's club is as unique as each ship. On each ship there are things we just love and things we would change. While some are frustrated with the lines that have breaks from the kids club, we have never minded it or given any consideration to this when choosing a cruise.

The best experiences my son has had have been on Celebrity and Princess. Royal was probably his third favorite. NCL and Carnival got a bit too crazy for him. Holland he liked the youth program ok because he likes videogames and is easily pleased as long as it isn't super noisy and chaotic.

From a parent standpoint, besides the youth program, Princess offers a variety of activities and good evening entertainment for the whole family. They also have the outdoor movie theater and really great pools and hot tubs.

Royal Caribbean is just so-so IMO. I don't like the pool area because of the obnoxious sports blaring on the movie screen. My son and I both come away sort of feeling meh about the ships so far. We've tried four so far and probably wouldn't sail Royal in the future.

Celebrity really fits the bill for us. The youth program is excellent and there are good lectures and other activities that interest us- plus excellent service. Qsine (specialty restaurant) is a hit with my son.

Holland America is fine but can be a bit boring. They do have nice staterooms though.

Norwegian we are giving another try (Saturday!). Last time I sailed NCL was in 2005 and was turned off by the small cabins and overcrowded, noisy kids program but at least I'm mentally prepared for that this time and we are sailing when school is in session, so should be a different experience.

Cunard QM2 was a nice ship and fun for kids because of the indoor pool and planetarium. The youth program is good but small.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Thanks for taking the time to post all this info and comparisons! :-) Great info for someone just trying cruises again now that littles are old enough for kids club. Especially since I'm home and don't do daycare.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forums mobile app

Edited by wintersmybaby

My grandchildren's favorite was Celebrity when they were young children and it is still their favorite now that they are in their late teens. They were also quite happy with Princess. They did not care for RCCL or NCL. They were bored silly on HAL. They've never cruised on Carnival or Disney.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers