Loyalty Scheme

Much has been discussed on here and FB about the promised loyalty scheme, anyway this is what we got as part of the loyalty scheme (8 or 9 cruises I think with out looking at the spreadsheet at home)......

Wait for it.....

Drum roll please........

Here it comes....

Ta Dah....

20% off a Spa treatment.

Woo, hoo, hot diggerty dog, aren't we so lucky:eek::eek::eek:

Brilliant, considering neither of us ever use the Spa. (well you can't improve perfection can you?) :p

If they had given us a discount on the Bistro they may have made some money as I might have considered this.

Some loyalty scheme eh???

It's laughable! Except you don't feel much like laughing. I simply can't understand how Thomson think this will address the lack of a loyalty scheme or have the nerve to tout it as such. It smacks so much of taking us for mugs! :rolleyes:

Hi

Going on Celebration a week next Monday. About our 14th Thomson I think but could be more. Last year on Spirit we did get a bottle of sparkling wine. We never use the Spa so if, next week, we get a spa voucher I will not be impressed. I think that I could possibly decide to take it along to Formal Night and, in the presentation line up, very politely give it back to the Captain as obviously Thomson are more in need of it than me. Anyone care to adopt the same approach?

Sandie

Good idea slhw. Although I haven't been on as many cruises as you, (this will be our fifth with Thomson), I had just been wondering what I could do to make a point IF we get one. Wasn't intending going to Formal Night though.

Loyalty scheme you lot make me laugh :D

To date I have been on 21 Island Escape Cruises

1 Thomson Destiny

1 Thomson Spirit

And have I ever had a thank you for booking with thomsons or the bottle of bubbly in the cabin ...have I hell as long as Thomsons get your money they don't give a hoot.

Hi

Going on Celebration a week next Monday. About our 14th Thomson I think but could be more. Last year on Spirit we did get a bottle of sparkling wine. We never use the Spa so if, next week, we get a spa voucher I will not be impressed. I think that I could possibly decide to take it along to Formal Night and, in the presentation line up, very politely give it back to the Captain as obviously Thomson are more in need of it than me. Anyone care to adopt the same approach?

Sandie

Wish I 'd have done something like that - they gave us a bogof in the Mistral's restaurant over Easter so it would have cost us £19.95 for 2 instead of 1 but being as I was onboard with my daughter, we preferred the atmosphere of the MDR. I wish I had taken it back to reception or the Social Hostess now & asked for the equivalent value as a Bottle of sparkling - maybe that is the way forward???

Wish I 'd have done something like that - they gave us a bogof in the Mistral's restaurant over Easter so it would have cost us £19.95 for 2 instead of 1 but being as I was onboard with my daughter, we preferred the atmosphere of the MDR. I wish I had taken it back to reception or the Social Hostess now & asked for the equivalent value as a Bottle of sparkling - maybe that is the way forward???

Perhaps so Jules. It's the inconsistencies which I find difficult to get my head round a) whether you get anything b) how many cruises before you qualify c) what type of 'reward' you get.

Add to that the fact that some 'rewards' require you to spend more money on a meal, on an excursion or in the spa make it very hit and miss whether you would find it of use or for that matter whether you would prefer, or make use of something other than what you have been given. OK if you were planning on buying any of those 'extras' but it's worthless otherwise. So what kind of perk is that?

Ithink Sandie has made a good suggestion.

What a joke, they must think we are mugs !

Here's a few things I would like that would not cost them a penny yet give me more of an incentive to stay with Thomson.

1)Free Extra legroom seats on the flight out.

2)An express check in desk when leaving the coach transfer and boarding the ship.

3)Reserved seating at the shows instead of leaving the best seats empty because nobody wants to pay £10 for them.

I could think of a dozen more that would not cost them a penny and I could use better than 20% of the SPA which I have never visited in all of my cruises.

Just returned from 20th Thomson cruise and had a bottle of sparkling wine in cabin and thank you letter.

Can't complain though as we booked cabin 016 on Spirit over 15 months ago before balcony upgrades were announced and they honoured the booking without any extra supplement or moving us to another cabin.....so I'm counting the balcony, free ironing and breakfast in bed as past passenger reward too ! Don't think we'll get it for cruise number 21 in the summer though :rolleyes:

What a joke, they must think we are mugs !

Here's a few things I would like that would not cost them a penny yet give me more of an incentive to stay with Thomson.

1)Free Extra legroom seats on the flight out.

2)An express check in desk when leaving the coach transfer and boarding the ship.

3)Reserved seating at the shows instead of leaving the best seats empty because nobody wants to pay £10 for them.

I could think of a dozen more that would not cost them a penny and I could use better than 20% of the SPA which I have never visited in all of my cruises.

I suspect Thomsons wouldn't be able to offer extra leg room seats - they have so many loyal past clients who would qualify, they'd need to put on specially adapted planes with half the seating removed.

I don't like the idea of so called priority boarding (except for disabled passengers) - it's simply queue jumping by another name and goes against my egalitarian beliefs.

Reserved seating also goes against the grain - first come, first served.

We also booked 15months ago and wanted to book a cabin on deck 9, something we could not do, no explanation from Thomson why not. I wrote explaining this to Thomson - still no answers, we know now balconies.

You never know perhaps we will be allocated one on arrival, and perhaps pigs will fly.

Thomson just want your money, loyalty is a joke to them.

They get paid then leave you to sort out all the hasle, even when you take ill on the ship and ask for assistance at the airport You are told.

"Your booking has been made we cannot change it now, you will just have to ask at the airport when you get there".

When you are ill the worry is just to much not knowing if you will make it or anyone listens.

Thomsons have lost 2 customers.

They get paid then leave you to sort out all the hasle, even when you take ill on the ship and ask for assistance at the airport You are told.

"Your booking has been made we cannot change it now, you will just have to ask at the airport when you get there".

When you are ill the worry is just to much not knowing if you will make it or anyone listens.

You should have asked for the doctor to certify that you were fit to travel. You would have seen some action then because they would then be liable if you were taken ill.

I feel sorry for what you went through and they should have listened to your concerns.

Who did you ask who gave you this answer ?

Perhaps so Jules. It's the inconsistencies which I find difficult to get my head round a) whether you get anything b) how many cruises before you qualify c) what type of 'reward' you get.

Add to that the fact that some 'rewards' require you to spend more money on a meal, on an excursion or in the spa make it very hit and miss whether you would find it of use or for that matter whether you would prefer, or make use of something other than what you have been given. OK if you were planning on buying any of those 'extras' but it's worthless otherwise. So what kind of perk is that?

Ithink Sandie has made a good suggestion.

There is a sort of logic behind the loyalty however the nature of how you have booked on the cruise and past cruises can also be an influence but there is not room or time to go through all that on here. As there is no formal prescribed public scheme you get what is offered and that may be influenced by the volume of repeaters. The recent TA on the Dream had many repeaters - I would imagine a one week Med cruise would have far less.

I have to disagree that returning a free gift or voucher is the way forward and say it is not the best way forward. Asking for it to be changed for something specific would need to be handled with extreme diplomacy. This is usually handled by the Social Hostess but if passengers start asking for specifics and changes then I could see the stock answer becoming the same as cabin change requests ( sorry - no).

There is nothing in your booking terms and conditions that says you will get a loyalty "gift". Should Thomson give you a voucher,a bottle of wine or whatever then that is what it is - a small perk that at cost price may be £10 max ( retail is £17 for the wine) and may be insignificant to the £2000 you have spent on the cruise for the two of you.

Hope that does not come across as too stroppy !!:)

There is a sort of logic behind the loyalty however the nature of how you have booked on the cruise and past cruises can also be an influence but there is not room or time to go through all that on here. As there is no formal prescribed public scheme you get what is offered and that may be influenced by the volume of repeaters. The recent TA on the Dream had many repeaters - I would imagine a one week Med cruise would have far less.

I have to disagree that returning a free gift or voucher is the way forward and say it is not the best way forward. Asking for it to be changed for something specific would need to be handled with extreme diplomacy. This is usually handled by the Social Hostess but if passengers start asking for specifics and changes then I could see the stock answer becoming the same as cabin change requests ( sorry - no).

There is nothing in your booking terms and conditions that says you will get a loyalty "gift". Should Thomson give you a voucher,a bottle of wine or whatever then that is what it is - a small perk that at cost price may be £10 max ( retail is £17 for the wine) and may be insignificant to the £2000 you have spent on the cruise for the two of you.

Hope that does not come across as too stroppy !!:)

Not at all HT - you are just pointing out the realities as you see them (or probably you have more knowledge/understanding of the situation than me).

I take your point about returning or trying to negotiate a perk. On reflection I agree that would be impractical and very hard for them to manage so I agree that's not a good idea. All the more reason though to have something more consistent - a bottle of wine for everyone for example as an outright 'gift' rather than a voucher which requires you to spend money which is not in the spirit of a gift IMO.

And I would also say that a bottle of wine which Thomson sells at £17 on board would probably be half that price in a supermarket and given Thomson will be buying wholesale I'd be surprised if it was actually costing them much more than a fiver. They used to sell a red wine at about £12/13 a few years ago which was in the shops at about £4 and there would be a profit in that. Don't misunderstand me I'm not complaining about the cost on board - I think they are quite reasonable but I doubt it's costing them anything like as much as £10. And again, I'm not complaining about being given it - we would drink it and enjoy it but I'd be pretty fed up if I got a spa voucher which I probably wouldn't use. And in any event don't they have different offers from the spa throughout the cruise with % off or cut price deals available to all? Different matter if the voucher actually bought you something outright and you didn't have to pay extra.

No, it's the inconsistencies and likelihood that people may be disappointed or feel badly done by as compared with others which is the problem and bothers me - more for Thomson's sake than my own. I honestly think it has the potential to be more damaging than helpful to Thomson. Almost better to have nothing than upsetting passengers!

I'm not upset by the way on a personal level - just arguing the case really as objectively as I can almost as a philosophical discussion! If you take the emotions and your own situation/experience out of the equation, I do honestly believe this scheme to be ill-conceived and likely to make people look more critically at the loyalty scheme and compare it with those of Thomson's competitors. And it doesn't hold up very well IMO. If passengers feel slighted they aren't going to have a very warm feel about Thomson!

Do you see where I'm coming from? Over to you. Round 2! :D:D

P. S. (I am genuinely smiling as I write this to you - I'm not in the least upset - I just think Thomson have dropped a clanger in the implementation of this scheme rather than the intention. I would go back to my mantra that if they do anything it should be fair, consistent and transparent.)

P.S. Just had another thought :o:o...............

I understand what you mean in respect of the number of repeat passengers on a particular cruise - that would seriously adversely affect your chance of being invited to the Capt's table for example since there will be a finite number of invitations which could be handed out even with the best will in the world. Also if there are several people with special celebrations (Blessings etc) they will quite rightly be entitled to that experience as part of the celebration package they have paid for - again reducing availability to others.

So in this case it comes down to luck. You could go on 50 Thomson cruises and never be on during a week when there is availability and even then if you may not be lucky enough to be chosen.

Should a loyalty scheme rely on luck?

Edited by kruzseeka

Someone posted either on here or on FB that it was the TA who "gave" the gifts for returning guests. This led me to think that may be so, as I have always booked my 6 Thomson cruises through a TA but not always the same one.

On checking I find that each time I have booked through my local Thomson shop, except for my first cruise, I have received a bottle of sparkling wine but when booked at a different shop, I have received nothing. Except one Thomson shop gave us free pre-bookable seats on a Caribbean flight which was a big saving.

This may be just a coincidence but has anyone else found this?

Someone posted either on here or on FB that it was the TA who "gave" the gifts for returning guests. This led me to think that may be so, as I have always booked my 6 Thomson cruises through a TA but not always the same one.

On checking I find that each time I have booked through my local Thomson shop, except for my first cruise, I have received a bottle of sparkling wine but when booked at a different shop, I have received nothing. Except one Thomson shop gave us free pre-bookable seats on a Caribbean flight which was a big saving.

This may be just a coincidence but has anyone else found this?

In that case I should stop using Thomson's 'other' online booking system - I must have used them over 20 times! :eek:

Actually I did book with them last trip and we did get a bottle of wine so assume it can't just be High Street TAs. but all adds to the confusion! But there does seem to be a pattern with your bookings Jakanne. :confused:

Edited by kruzseeka