Loyalty Scheme

Someone posted either on here or on FB that it was the TA who "gave" the gifts for returning guests. This led me to think that may be so, as I have always booked my 6 Thomson cruises through a TA but not always the same one.

No it is not the agent as regards this "loyalty" scheme unless the TA adds something and stands it out of their commission eg the agent could add extras to the booking and not charge you but that is not the "loyalty" scheme we are discussing. That is a thank you from the agent or a negotiated deal you have done with the agent.

On checking I find that each time I have booked through my local Thomson shop, except for my first cruise, I have received a bottle of sparkling wine but when booked at a different shop, I have received nothing. Except one Thomson shop gave us free pre-bookable seats on a Caribbean flight which was a big saving.

This may be just a coincidence but has anyone else found this?

I would recommend you book via Thomson either on line or via one of their retail high street agents for the "loyalty" scheme but if another agent can give you a better deal up front then you have to weigh it all up and decide.

Edited by Huddersfieldtourist

Not at all HT - you are just pointing out the realities as you see them (or probably you have more knowledge/understanding of the situation than me).

I take your point about returning or trying to negotiate a perk. On reflection I agree that would be impractical and very hard for them to manage so I agree that's not a good idea. All the more reason though to have something more consistent - a bottle of wine for everyone for example as an outright 'gift' rather than a voucher which requires you to spend money which is not in the spirit of a gift IMO.

And I would also say that a bottle of wine which Thomson sells at £17 on board would probably be half that price in a supermarket and given Thomson will be buying wholesale I'd be surprised if it was actually costing them much more than a fiver. They used to sell a red wine at about £12/13 a few years ago which was in the shops at about £4 and there would be a profit in that. Don't misunderstand me I'm not complaining about the cost on board - I think they are quite reasonable but I doubt it's costing them anything like as much as £10. And again, I'm not complaining about being given it - we would drink it and enjoy it but I'd be pretty fed up if I got a spa voucher which I probably wouldn't use. And in any event don't they have different offers from the spa throughout the cruise with % off or cut price deals available to all? Different matter if the voucher actually bought you something outright and you didn't have to pay extra.

No, it's the inconsistencies and likelihood that people may be disappointed or feel badly done by as compared with others which is the problem and bothers me - more for Thomson's sake than my own. I honestly think it has the potential to be more damaging than helpful to Thomson. Almost better to have nothing than upsetting passengers!

I'm not upset by the way on a personal level - just arguing the case really as objectively as I can almost as a philosophical discussion! If you take the emotions and your own situation/experience out of the equation, I do honestly believe this scheme to be ill-conceived and likely to make people look more critically at the loyalty scheme and compare it with those of Thomson's competitors. And it doesn't hold up very well IMO. If passengers feel slighted they aren't going to have a very warm feel about Thomson!

Do you see where I'm coming from? Over to you. Round 2! :D:D

P. S. (I am genuinely smiling as I write this to you - I'm not in the least upset - I just think Thomson have dropped a clanger in the implementation of this scheme rather than the intention. I would go back to my mantra that if they do anything it should be fair, consistent and transparent.)

The current "loyalty" scheme does have its flaws and there will be inconsistencies in what may be given - without a full blown scheme which there is not then passengers will have to accept that anything they get is a bonus.

We all need to remember that Thomson do not advertise such a scheme whereas others do in order to entice people to book - as such anything from Thomson is a pleasant bonus but I agree that some getting it and some not and other inconsistencies can be counter productive.

I've just read this and now realise my letter for a reduction on some treatment or other for being a returning customer was an incentive. I just put it in the bin thinking they had sent them to every cabin.

They wouldn't have been far wrong;), I only met one person who was a Thomson 'first timer'.

Some good points here. I agree that giving you a voucher towards something is not really a bonus if you have to spend more money to get it and as Kruzseeka says, the spa often has special offers on anyway.

Wouldn't it be better to give a voucher or OBC to be spent on the ship, so you could buy something you want and not have to add to it (and Thomson's profits!!)

I think Thomson are missing a trick here. My neighbour and my brother will not go with anyone but P&O as they have built up a good discount on fares, on board spend and excursions, even though my sister in law wants to try Fred.Olsen :rolleyes:

We always book with a ta but only had loyalty gifts this year, when talking to the cd on the spirit he said the wine/gifts was something the ship was giving to returning cruisers

We have done 7 Thomson Cruises over 7 years and never had anything :( (Two more booked, so will wait and see :D )

Funny that Jackie has had bottles of wine (not jealous Jackie :rolleyes::D) after several cruises in one year :confused:

linda we heard a lot of repeat passengers were getting gifts the other week on the spirit mainly wine but also 20% off at the paid restaurant, there seemed a lot of people who had cruised on her before

Who did you ask who gave you this answer ?

First approach was to reception and was directed to the social Hostess.

she was the one who gave the advice or should I say lack of consideration.

Someone posted either on here or on FB that it was the TA who "gave" the gifts for returning guests. This led me to think that may be so, as I have always booked my 6 Thomson cruises through a TA but not always the same one.

On checking I find that each time I have booked through my local Thomson shop, except for my first cruise, I have received a bottle of sparkling wine but when booked at a different shop, I have received nothing. Except one Thomson shop gave us free pre-bookable seats on a Caribbean flight which was a big saving.

This may be just a coincidence but has anyone else found this?

I can't believe it was the shop otherwise wouidnt they have put a card in it saying it was from them? (In the hope you will book again?!)

We have booked with the same TA for years but last time I booked online & that is the first time I received a "loyalty gift" (50% off the A La Carte restaurant).

Some good points here. I agree that giving you a voucher towards something is not really a bonus if you have to spend more money to get it and as Kruzseeka says, the spa often has special offers on anyway.

Wouldn't it be better to give a voucher or OBC to be spent on the ship, so you could buy something you want and not have to add to it (and Thomson's profits!!)

I think Thomson are missing a trick here. My neighbour and my brother will not go with anyone but P&O as they have built up a good discount on fares, on board spend and excursions, even though my sister in law wants to try Fred.Olsen :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more Linda - and although this may seem as though I'm having a right old grouse I'm actually concerned about the implications for Thomson and that since they don't seem to be seeing it from the customers' perspective, they are managing to alienate people.

It's immaterial to me to be honest whether I get a botle of wine or not although I do appreciate the thought but it's the unfairness which really rankles and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And this scheme (however it's described - a 'thank you' to repeat customers does sound a bit like a loyalty perk but it's not worth splitting hairs over) however it's wrapped up just seems to be quite unfair to me. Good luck to Jakanne with her wine ;) - I don't begrudge anyone anything but Thomson should reflect on how that makes people feel who have travelled more frequently and slipped through the net and received nothing?

And think about Linda's brother Thomson - how many others feel the same way? Surely no-one will be persuaded to stick with Thomson on the basis of some lucky dip type treat! :rolleyes:

linda we heard a lot of repeat passengers were getting gifts the other week on the spirit mainly wine but also 20% off at the paid restaurant, there seemed a lot of people who had cruised on her before
Ooh, well maybe we ill get one in August then :)

And think about Linda's brother Thomson - how many others feel the same way? Surely no-one will be persuaded to stick with Thomson on the basis of some lucky dip type treat! :rolleyes:

Roll out the Bran tub !!

There will be no intention to omit anyone however Thomson will rely on the information provided by its own agents,its direct sales,cruisedeals and from other non Tui agents and I would say those booking with the latter are more likely to "miss" out.

There will be others who have cruised many times who may also miss out but..........

If Thomson were to start a new tiered prescribed loyalty scheme now how would you suggest they deal with it ? Everybody start from nil cruises ? Is that fair on those who have done 20+ ? Should it be the number of cruises or number of nights on board - my wife and I have done 6 weeks in 2 cruises for the last 2 ? How will Thomson verify/quantify all those bookings going back say to the Topaz or even before ? What if you were a second name on a booking but now the lead party - how will that be matched up ? What if you were Miss Smith for 10 cruises and you lived in say London and then got married became Mrs Jones and now live in Bristol - who cross references it ? The list of potential issues is endless.

As it stands Thomson seem to be in a no win situation - not having a scheme gets criticism and then the one they have is seen as not ideal.

As Thomson give a bottle of wine ( retail £17) or perhaps a 2 for one at the grill (£19.99) which should be appreciated there will sadly be those repeaters that miss out for whatever reason ..... and they can decide if they wish to query it during the cruise even though I totally agree it would be best if they did not miss out.

On the Dream this time those ladies who had a birthday during the TA cruise seemed to get a free photo from the Photo team as I walked past a number of cabins on deck 7 where an invite to pick a photo was stuck to the door by the Photo team. Did not see anything for any men though !! Nor was it clear if these were repeaters or just people who they have searched to see the date they were born - so this could include First timers !

Yes there are issues relating to trying to apply something retrospectively so perhaps that has to be 'let go' although I guess many past passengers may be able to verify some previous trips and it could therefore be incumbent on them to apply for recognition on that basis. In any event as things stand it seems that even one previous cruise qualifies passengers to the same extent as multiple trips.

However given the current scheme your bran tub is another problem as even if past passengers can be, or are, identified it's still a lottery in respect of the 'reward' received and the value that has for the individual. As Linda suggested even a small credit to be used as you see fit would have the same value to everyone.

Edited by kruzseeka

Yes there are issues relating to trying to apply something retrospectively so perhaps that has to be 'let go' although I guess many past passengers may be able to verify some previous trips and it could therefore be incumbent on them to apply for recognition on that basis. In any event as things stand it seems that even one previous cruise qualifies passengers to the same extent as multiple trips.

However given the current scheme your bran tub is another problem as even if past passengers can be, or are, identified it's still a lottery in respect of the 'reward' received and the value that has for the individual. As Linda suggested even a small credit to be used as you see fit would have the same value to everyone.

I wasn't really suggesting the Bran Tub but your lucky dip comment reminded me of them when I was a kid !! :):D

A bottle of wine is not much good if the recipients are teetotal and likewise Steak under the Stars offer is not too good if you are a vegetarian. The credit idea would work but as you rightly point out - it is only good if all that should get it, do get it and it would still have to be decided at what volume of cruises you get this and perhaps whether the amount of the reward should be more for those with 25 cruises than those with say 8.

My understanding is that someone with one previous cruise would not normally get the same recognition value as someone with say 20 but I guess there will be discrepancies there too due to the lack of reliability of the information given to the onboard team which is only as good as the sources of it provide.

All that can be done is accept it at present as it is !! ;)

A loyalty scheme could work by giving people a unique ID which would be entered at the time of booking.

This would require setting up and there would be a cost involved in that and a willingness to do so, both of which are unlikely. Would it be worth it for a bottle of wine or 20% off at the spa? I don't think so.

All that can be done is accept it at present as it is !! ;)

Yes as stimulating as the debate has been - that is the bottom line! :rolleyes: I'm sure the intention was well meant, if parsimonious, but it just saddens me that it all seems so second rate as compared with such as P&O and I don't like to think of Thomson or their passengers in that way.

Anyway, here's to many more bottles of fizz - or reduced spa treatments, or something - possibly anything..... or nothing! :eek: :D

In January we were given 20% off something, I can't remember what, just knew we wouldn't use it. It was our 6th cruise.

Just back from Majesty and didn't receive anything. Spoke to Social Host who said everything had gone out and he only had so many, implying that there must have been a lot more repeat cruisers.

Also because I'd booked in my name and the others were booked by DH it wouldn't count. Same surname, address ect!!!

I'm not over concerned but do like some consistency.

The cruise was great by the way.:)

Edited by maggie 57

In January we were given 20% off something, I can't remember what, just knew we wouldn't use it. It was our 6th cruise.

Just back from Majesty and didn't receive anything. Spoke to Social Host who said everything had gone out and he only had so many, implying that there must have been a lot more repeat cruisers.

Also because I'd booked in my name and the others were booked by DH it wouldn't count. Same surname, address ect!!!

I'm not over concerned but do like some consistency.

The cruise was great by the way.:)

That's the important thing, though, isn't it.....that you enjoy the cruise. No amount of free bottles of wine would make up for a disappointing holiday.

Your reply from the Social Host seems to imply that it was he or at least the staff on the ship who decides who receives the complimentary gifts. :rolleyes::). Interesting.

That's the important thing, though, isn't it.....that you enjoy the cruise. No amount of free bottles of wine would make up for a disappointing holiday.

Your reply from the Social Host seems to imply that it was he or at least the staff on the ship who decides who receives the complimentary gifts. :rolleyes::). Interesting.

In april we were told by richard grey the gifts were something the ship had started to do