Rotterdam to Norway after Eurodam last year?

syesmar

Hi,

I have some questions about the Rotterdam and its Norway itineraries. I have sailed with HAL annually since 2007. Last year, I was aboard the Eurodam for the first time and enjoyed a FABULOUS cruise of Norway, British Isles and the Kiel Canal. Felt 'spoiled' aboard this ship! I’m weighing my options for this year and I like the itineraries for the Rotterdam’s cruises to Norway. Last year, we went as far north as Alesund; the Rotterdam itinerary I’m considering goes to ‘the top of the world’.

Question 1: Would it be worth partially repeating some of the Norwegian ports of call to go further north into Norway? Meaning, is the scenery to the north of Alesund as spectacular as it was in places like Alesund, Skjolden and Sognefjord? (I would love to see those places again!). I’ve never been to Molde, Trondheim, Geiranger, Tromso and Honningsvag in the north. Additionally, it goes to Kristiansand, Stavenger and Flam which I did not visit last year.

Question 2 (the main issue): Although we booked an interior room on the Eurodam, there were so many places to observe the scenery that we never felt ‘cramped’. Even with so many people aboard, there were so many open spaces that we could feel “alone” if we desired. I know the Rotterdam is much smaller. If we didn’t have a balcony room on the Rotterdam, would there be enough outdoor areas to observe the fjords and scenery as we sail?

(We have sailed aboard the Ryndam twice. I know they're similar, but not the same; feel free to compare).

THANKS!

Edited by syesmar

• 3 weeks later...
Question 1: Would it be worth partially repeating some of the Norwegian ports of call to go further north into Norway? Meaning, is the scenery to the north of Alesund as spectacular as it was in places like Alesund, Skjolden and Sognefjord? (I would love to see those places again!). I’ve never been to Molde, Trondheim, Geiranger, Tromso and Honningsvag in the north. Additionally, it goes to Kristiansand, Stavenger and Flam which I did not visit last year.
Geiranger and Flam alone are certainly worth doing this for. And if you do this when there's lots of midnight sun, doing an itinerary that gives you a lot of that is an experience that is worth doing quite apart from the ports you actually go to.
Question 2 (the main issue): Although we booked an interior room on the Eurodam, there were so many places to observe the scenery that we never felt ‘cramped’. Even with so many people aboard, there were so many open spaces that we could feel “alone” if we desired. I know the Rotterdam is much smaller. If we didn’t have a balcony room on the Rotterdam, would there be enough outdoor areas to observe the fjords and scenery as we sail?
I think so. But what we did was this: Because we couldn't know what the weather would be like, we booked a lanai room. Less expensive than a balcony room, but with the benefits of being able to walk straight out onto what is basically a communal balcony. I think we would have been very happy with that, although in the event we got an upsell offer that was too good to turn down.

I endorse the recommendations of Geiranger and Flam. The railway at the latter is a must-do. For Geiranger it's actually better to be out on deck rather than in your cabin, even it it has got a balcony. There is advantage in being able to move quickly from one side of the ship to the other as the different waterfalls come into view. It's also a good idea to be up early that morning as the ship sails in and along the fjord.

Honningsveg has not got a lot to offer if itself other than the knowledge that you have gone round the top of Norway. You will almost certainly experience the Midnight Sun by going that far North.

Although I am not much if a gardener myself I enjoyed a morning at the Botanic Gardens in TROMSO which were within easy walking distance of the Cruise Berth -- the town itself is 10 minutes or so away by Shuttle Bus.

It's some years since I was in Molde. We had bikes with us on that trip and went to a fairly small Folk Museum.