IE 2014 and some really useful information "4" and a bit of drivel

Rebel Rouser

I'm afraid I'm being unfaithfull as well looking at other better looking partners for the end of August. Anything that hasn't got hordes of kids on, no offence but been there, done that.:):)

Jan

Oh that should be good Stevio.....we've done Lerwick, Thorshavn, Reykjavik and Dublin...in July though and it was 19 degs in Reykjavik much to our surprise!!!!:)

Hi Jenny, we are going to Iceland in August/September and hoping for good weather ;)

I see you are doing the British Isles on Ruby Princess. We did a similar one on Crown Princess, which is her sister ship - really enjoyed it :)

Two tips - Be prepared for lots of Americans wondering why you are going round your own country :rolleyes: and go on a trip in le Havre if you can, as there is nothing much to see there :(

Thanks for the tips Linda....we've already reserved a trip to Paris as I've never been ....it was Sea Princess we went to Iceland on and there were loads of Americans then so we did think perhaps there would be lots on this cruise....Ive had a look at the Roll call and it think its all Americans!!

we have only been to Dublin and Greenock before so lots of new ports!!

We loved Iceland it was so clean and totally different from anywhere else......we saw whales from the ship in the late evening which was a first.!:)

Hi Jenny

Yes, looking forward to Iceland, lots of good reports :)

It's wise to book the excursions ahead when there are lots of Americans onboard. We didn't and we couldn't get one for Anglesey, but we got a really nice taxi driver who took us to Beaumaris Castle and then took us to see the Menai Bridge and back via the Station with the long name (don't ask :rolleyes:) We had a great day for £60, quite a lot cheaper than the ship's trips :)

Glasgow you can get the train in quite easily. South Queensferry is a nice little place and the Forth Bridge is stunning.

Edinburgh - they run a bus for about £10 - well worth it. It was raining while we were there and the festival was on - so very busy.

I loved Belfast - they put on a FREE shuttle bus and were so friendly. We went round on a hoho bus with a live guide - absolutely fascinating. Shops looked good, but not allowed in by DH :(

We didn't go to Liverpool or Cobh. We went to the Orkneys, which was stunning too.

Glad to be of any assistance Jenny, if you have any queries. You already know Princess ships are lovely :)

We went to Paris for our honeymoon - many moons ago ;)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Hi Linda....yes we booked two ships trips...the one to Paris which takes us round the sights and a boat ride on the Seine...and then in Belfast we're going along the Antrim coast for a scenic drive.

From Cobh we've booked a private coach trip to Blarney, Cork, and Kinsale.

Liverpool apparently we dock close to everything so have got lots of info off the internet and we will do our own thing.

Dublin we are doing a free walking tour which I found mentioned on the Roll Call ....sounds a good idea you just give the guide a tip at the end, no specified amount, just whatever you feel comfortable with.

Guernsey (if its calm enough to tender in) we shall get a bus round the island.... for a couple of euros apparently.

The Scottish ports we shall do our own thing using buses/trains and maybe HOHO bus!!

I went to Bournemouth for my honeymoon, on the train....we didn't even have a car in those days!!!! :)

Edited by jenny wren

• 5 weeks later...
Just a quick "bump" for the old useful drivel thread before it gets lost.

Quiet on here innit... Everyone on a cruise?

No, we're all flagging in the heat. The evening is the only time to catch up with watering plants etc. We're off to Scotland next week for our trip to the Commonwealth Games, look for us at Hampden Park next Wednesday. We won't be the one's waving England flags, lol, we might get lynched.:D;)

Jan

No, we're all flagging in the heat. The evening is the only time to catch up with watering plants etc. We're off to Scotland next week for our trip to the Commonwealth Games, look for us at Hampden Park next Wednesday. We won't be the one's waving England flags, lol, we might get lynched.:D;)

Jan

Ah yes we are all flagging in this heat, but it is worse for me as Mrs Stevio says I have to work extra hard to earn the money to try to keep up with the number of cruises Linda has in a year :eek: :D... Enjoy your trip across the border Jan, Glasgow is on my next cruise itinerary. I fancy running down the gangplank with a large cross of St George flag with the words "We're keeping all the oil" written on it... I am sure they will be ok about that.

Edited by Stevio
Edit

Ah yes we are all flagging in this heat, but it is worse for me as Mrs Stevio says I have to work extra hard to earn the money to try to keep up with the number of cruises Linda has in a year :eek: :D... Enjoy your trip across the border Jan, Glasgow is on my next cruise itinerary. I fancy running down the gangplank with a large cross of St George flag with the words "We're keeping all the oil" written on it... I am sure they will be ok about that.

Don't forget to take out insurance if you're going to do that.:D:D We're off to Fort William for three nights after visting the games so that's 3 nights in hotels and 3 nights in a pod, which is like the top half of a gypsy caravan with beds, tv, fridge and microwave. Should be interesting. Wow! it's hot again, hope it lasts until next week.:)

Jan

Hello everyone....yes we got back home late Tuesday after visiting more relatives on the way home.....

we had a very good cruise on Ruby Princess and thoroughly enjoyed all the ports of the British isles itinerary....weather was mixed but generally good...especially liked the sail through the Hebrides and round the top of Scotland where it stayed light until late and was sunny giving some beautiful sunsets. We saw Minke whales in this area which was a bonus.

There were 1800 Americans on board and just 400 Brits with the rest made up of Canadians, Australians, Dutch, German, Chinese....in fact a right mixture.....we were on a table of Brits for dinner and were glad of that....we do find the Americans rather noisy at times and their children being allowed to jump and dive in the pool (where there were clear signs not to do so) really annoyed me.....

Entertainment was OK but not brilliant...the singers/dancers were leaving at the end of the cruise and, I think, had lost interest....not half as good as Ross Roberts team on IE.

Nothing else booked at the moment as we can't decide what to do but keeping our eyes open for a bargain.....as usual!!! :):)

Ah yes we are all flagging in this heat, but it is worse for me as Mrs Stevio says I have to work extra hard to earn the money to try to keep up with the number of cruises Linda has in a year :eek: :D...

Cheeky monkey :D You have done nearly as many as me and we started cruising about the same time :D

We have decided to wait until next year and book late, hoping for a bargain;) Trouble is I am not a patient person!

Just looked at your itinerary, are you doing the 14 night one (or the 28 or 42 days, lol)?

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Cheeky monkey :D You have done nearly as many as me and we started cruising about the same time :D

We have decided to wait until next year and book late, hoping for a bargain;) Trouble is I am not a patient person!

Just looked at your itinerary, are you doing the 14 night one (or the 28 or 42 days, lol)?

Yeah sorry about that Linda, only joshing. I would have been on almost permanent cruises if it wasn't for work. I have found that once having cruised, land based holidays just do not do it for me anymore.

I am on the short 14 day one unfortunately. I took a peek at the roll calls (nearly all American & Canadians) & am really jealous of a couple that have the 9 day St Petersburg cruise back to back with the 42 day one ending up back home in Los Angeles.

In fact this will be our first two week cruise, my work leave had never fitted in with anything more than 9 days up till now, so really looking forward to it.

As for last minute deals, I am with you, I like to study at length & get them all booked up in advance so as not to keep worrying if the good cabins will go etc.. But funny enough, Mrs Stevio saw this September NCL cruise, I got granted the leave from work & booked the cruise all in a couple of days in June & by mid July the price had gone up by over £700, & they are currently sold out of my grade of inside cabin... So very last minute doesn't always work... I know a load of cabins will miraculously appear the week before sailing at giveaway prices, but right now I am feeling well pleased with myself.

Glad you had a good time Jenny, we are beginning to eye up those posher cruise lines ... (They have such good deals on some of them :o)

Princess is not really 'posher' Stevio....different, with more Americans, but same sort of standard as p and O....better cabins than IE.......but public areas not much different....we class celebrity as being posher but they have their faults as well....like eclipse having a lack of storage in cabin!!!! For us its all about itinerary and price....as long as we have a comfy bed!!:)

Yes Princess, Fred and Thomson are very similar in terms of food, friendliness and entertainment. Obviously, Princess are bigger ships, but no bigger than NCL and of course a lot newer than Thomson & Fred. Princess and Fred usually have 2 formal nights in a week, but of course you don't have to go and the buffets on both Braemar and Crown Princess are laid up with table cloths at night, so really nice, but not so canteen like as some other ships.

I knew you were joking Stevio. Not easily offended (well not often!)

Those Americans must have some money - 51 days :eek:

What are NCL like? DH is put off by them being "informal"

All this talk of Fred & Princess sounds a touch on the posh side to me. I was much happier being all common in the old Ocean Village buffet, followed by the IE, & I would put the Thomson Destiny buffet in third place even if you did freeze your cods off behind their plastic sheeting wind breaks.

NCL is definitely the most informal of the cruise lines I have been on. I have sat in a palace of a restaurant on NCL with a man with jeans on one side & another with shorts on the other. They have dress up if you want nights where people literally do dress as they like but the good thing is no one seems to mind that a table full of immaculately white dinner suited gents are sitting next to cowboy shirted stetson wearing Texans.

However I draw the line at NCL Epic's wash basin at the end of the bed & glass sided cabin toilets as an informality too far. :eek:

Edited by Stevio

Ha Ha Linda....I've actually been in something similar.......low walls and a swing louvre door about midway up....really weird and I can't remember where it was...must have been in Middle East somewhere or Morocco......but I was desperate to have a wee so went in!!!!:eek:

better than the plastic yellow bucket in Gambia though!!!!!:D