Long term future of the Cloud

Silver Spectre

IMO, there is too much finger pointing on this thread. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and people reading the thread can make a decision for themselves.

We definitely like Silversea but do question why the ships are not being maintained to the level that Crystal, Regent and Seabourn keep their ships. I personally dislike the Silver Spirit (the ship - not the crew) for many reasons but there are plenty of people that love it. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Cloud and Wind are just too small for us and do look a bit old. There is an old fairy tale in the U.S. about "Goldilocks and Three Bears". It showed how, in one persons opinion, something can be too small, too large or "just right". For us, the Shadow and Whisper are "just right".

We were just off the Wind and found it delightful, good looking and the best maintained of the last four Silversea ships we have been on. Wondering if the Cloud is as updated and as clean as the Wind?

We have two voyages coming up on the Cloud....

Finger pointing?

Yes - posts 54 - 56 are an example. There may be posters that continuously state their opinions (negative or positive) but they are as valid as any other post and should not be negated.

When I look at our favorite ships (Whisper and Shadow), I can see why some people would feel that they are not kept up as well as they should be (carpets, etc.) but, for some of us, we love the ships despite the problems that some perceive. In terms of the Cloud, she is an older ship and can't help but show her age (just as the rest of us do).

IMO, ships need to be dry or wet docked every 24-36 months in order to replace carpeting and other soft goods. This seems to be the schedule for most cruise lines. I remain confused as to why obviously worn carpeting on the Shadow was not replaced. This is one of the reasons why customers may have questions about Silversea. They obviously have money but are not spending it in ways some of us would like to see. Having said that, the service on Silversea is exemplary!

Edited by Travelcat2

Sorry, I am lost. SS may not be the prettiest but IMHO the ships and crew are the best afloat at the moment.

You are, of course, correct. I find it difficult to understand why someone having never been on Crystal or Seabourn would pronounce them superior to SS.

Just in case someone is referring to my post regarding refurbishment on Crystal and Seabourn -- two cruise lines we specifically do not wish to sail on....... refurbishment information is public knowledge. For those of who read about cruise ships in the various online publications/blogs, dry docks, etc. are almost always discussed and often include photographs of the "new look".

I know from the Silversea boards that there were many things (including some carpeting) that were not taken care of on the Shadow. I know about Oceania's Insignia recent refurbishment (never been on that ship either). And, even though I have not been on Regent's Mariner in almost 3 years, I've seen photographs of her refurbishment. Obviously, this was another case of finger pointing. A lot can be learned from reading and viewing photographs.

Sorry if that sounded harsh. Really do not understand the need to finger point (obviously:-)

IMAG1560.jpg.1461952edf2b50ec67c811f0ff30f221.jpg

This broken rail, just to the left of the pool bar was broken when we joined in Fort Lauderdale and it was still broken when we left the ship 15 days later. Closer obsevation showed that it had actually been attached only by thick paint.

This is a good example of either the lack of interest in maintenance or insufficient staff to ensure that the ship is properly maintained.

Interestingly the Staff Captain quite often stood a couple of feet away from this whilst smoking at the pool bar. Nice man but not particularly observant.

And your point is? - 'product quality is irrelevant'

I thionk what suprised me just as much as your post about the broken pool bar, was that the Staff Captain thought it appropriate to be smoking at the pool bar. I guess I'm just old fashioned but I'd not expect him - particularly him - to be smoking in any public areas.

Staff Captains aren't what they use to be ..........:D

Silver Spectre, I share your concern about the lack on maintenance of the Cloud. I also appreciate your sharing your photo of the broken rail but why wait until you disembarked the ship to express your displeasure. You were on that ship for 15 days. Couldn’t you have approached the HD, CD or Captain on the 14th day and said something? I’m sure any of them would be more able to remedy the situation than those of us looking at your photo of that broken and possibly dangerous rail.

Just in case someone is referring to my post regarding refurbishment on Crystal and Seabourn -- two cruise lines we specifically do not wish to sail on -)

I would recommend sailing on all the luxury lines as only then can you really get a feel for the sector and comment with confidence and knowledge about it.

I mean this in a nice way as your knowledge will grow once you embrace other lines.

Staff Captains aren't what they use to be ..........:D

For starters, when was the last time you saw an Italian as Staff Captain? Other than the ship being built in Italy and an Italian Captain, this company has lost all affiliation with its advertised mother country.

In stark contrast, the MSC bridge and hotel leadership is staffed with nothing but Italians.

Silver.....that last post of mine was in deference to the SS cheerleading team.

For starters, when was the last time you saw an Italian as Staff Captain? Other than the ship being built in Italy and an Italian Captain, this company has lost all affiliation with its advertised mother country.

In stark contrast, the MSC bridge and hotel leadership is staffed with nothing but Italians.

Luca was Italian. Is he still around? Lovely wife and kiddy. They all use to come from the same school at one time.

Silver Spectre, I share your concern about the lack on maintenance of the Cloud. I also appreciate your sharing your photo of the broken rail but why wait until you disembarked the ship to express your displeasure. You were on that ship for 15 days. Couldn’t you have approached the HD, CD or Captain on the 14th day and said something? I’m sure any of them would be more able to remedy the situation than those of us looking at your photo of that broken and possibly dangerous rail.

It was pointed out to a senior member of staff about 1/2 hour after it was first seen by me. This is not an expression of displeasure, it is a concern about the level of ongoing maintenance and the problems it causes to guests on the Cloud.

That's ok. But the Staff Captain was Italian.

I would recommend sailing on all the luxury lines as only then can you really get a feel for the sector and comment with confidence and knowledge about it.

I mean this in a nice way as your knowledge will grow once you embrace other lines.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I would certainly not post about anything that requires personal experience. My point was simply that refurbishments (how often they are done, etc.) is public knowledge. Most companies (Crystal, Seabourn and Regent for sure) post photographs of the refurbished spaces. For some reason, I did not see photographs of the Shadow after she was refurbished. We have sailed on Silversea three times and it seems that the ships go a long time between dry docks. Actually, due to lack of public information, I seem to know less about Silversea refurbishments than I do about Crystal and Seaborn since they are so open with their public announcements.

Also agree that my knowledge of other lines would grow if I sailed on more than only Regent, Silversea and Oceania. Unfortunately, there has yet to be anything to entice us to sail on Crystal. Perhaps when their new ship is complete. In the meantime, we are very happy with our current choices:)

Edited by Travelcat2

I agree that reading about something and experiencing it are two different things. You can read about all the hot button issues on these boards all you want but until you are up close and personal it's not the same.

clip-art-top-cat-819962.jpg

Great picture of Top Cat. Used to watch all his episodes. Even got that opening "leader of the Gang" cartoon song paying in my head now... What was that early 1960 sh?

I bet he was a kool cat cruiser....

Edited by carefreecruise