Nomenclature changes?

bobby1119

I have received the brochure for 2015 entitled "Cruise Collection."

In other mailings for promotions, as well as on the website, the term "cruise" seems to have replaced "voyage" which earlier replaced "cruise."

The term "crossing" still remains.

I am wondering if the new marketing team has realized that the use of the term "voyage" tended to distance Cunard from what potential "guests" know as a "cruise."

I always thought the use of the word "voyage" was pompous. I recall Peter Shanks once saying in an interview, "We do voyages, not cruises."

Any thoughts on this subtle change or any others?

That's an interesting observation. I think the switch from "voyage" to "cruise" has been happening for a while now. There is a similar brochure from last year titled "Cunard 2014 Cruise Collection".

I suspect you may be right that this switch could be intended to broaden Cunard's appeal to a larger mass market. Personally, I don't consider the usage of the term "voyage" by Cunard to be "pompous". I would prefer something more along the lines of slightly more "sophisticated", but I do take your point. In the end, it really is all a matter of perception.

This reminds me of the terminology used to described the onboard accommodations. Are they "cabins" or "staterooms"? For now, it appears that Cunard is sticking with "staterooms".

Regards,

John.

Could Cunard be making a distinction between 'voyages' and 'cruises' based on the number of days involved in each? For example, the title on a new brochure reads "2015 World Voyages and Exotic Cruises".

Edited by Salacia

In other mailings for promotions, as well as on the website, the term "cruise" seems to have replaced "voyage" which earlier replaced "cruise."

The term "crossing" still remains.

I am wondering if the new marketing team has realized that the use of the term "voyage" tended to distance Cunard from what potential "guests" know as a "cruise."

I always thought the use of the word "voyage" was pompous. I recall Peter Shanks once saying in an interview, "We do voyages, not cruises."

Very witty, user of the term "Nomenclature ", calling a "Voyage" pompous.

This reminds me of the terminology used to described the onboard accommodations. Are they "cabins" or "staterooms"? For now, it appears that Cunard is sticking with "staterooms".

Regards,

John.

My experience has been that members of the Deck Division (the guys who actually run the ship) call them "cabins", members of the Hotel Staff call them "staterooms", and members of the Entertainment Staff call them "suites".

Well, personally, if I go around the Med for a holiday it is definitely a cruise. If I travel to New York for business and choose to travel by ship, then for me it is a Voyage - a means to getting to a destination for which I have a need. It is an enjoyable means of getting to my destination but then so is First Class on British Airways - if you have the time then the ship choice is preferable (for me).

Regards,

John.

I don't care whether the accommodations are called cabins or staterooms, but what causes me to smirk is the reference to suites which are, by no stretch of the imagination, suites. The staterooms we have occupied in both Queen's and Princess Grill have been very comfortable and certainly of ample size. But suites they were not. I recall seeing at least one corridor sign on the QM2 directing passengers to "Suites numbers XXXX to YYYY" and this pointed to a secondary corridor that contained only inside cabins/staterooms.