Snorkel Equipment Rental

jerlen

Many years ago on a Caribbean cruise, we were able to rent snorkel equipment on board to be used for the duration of our cruise. Is that still done? I would prefer not having to pack and transport our own. Specifically, I'm referring to the Caribbean Princess.

Many years ago on a Caribbean cruise, we were able to rent snorkel equipment on board to be used for the duration of our cruise. Is that still done? I would prefer not having to pack and transport our own. Specifically, I'm referring to the Caribbean Princess.

I have not seen this offered on Princess ships... :(

Haven't seen this offered for a very long time on Princess. Last time was at the turn of the century "2000" on the Regal. They were kept in a storage closet by the excursion desk.

easier to pack a simple snorkel and mask, you can rent fins almost every port locally. I would do that vs. renting a snorkel. If you really want to save on space, buy a cheap snorkel and mask and just ditch it when you are done with your cruise. No need to pack it home.

I would not use a rental mask.. or snorkel (nurse).

I bought my own custom optic mask (I use glasses for distance)

and high quality snorkel a few years back, so I will be packing it for this time on the CB.

Was on her three years in a row when I sailed CB out of Brooklyn. No rentals off ship.

I do remember when in Bermuda the beach we were at had a stand for rentals, but it was closed...so I am glad we bring our own.

We also went to a secluded glass beach on another cruise not too far away from the dockyard and I really enjoyed the calm water snorkeling there....and it is a tucked away place- no rentals were available there...(NOT the Snorkel Park).

Always brought my own... rental fees saved and doesn't take up that much room....

All four of us will pack our own this summer to fly to FLL...but leave the fins home...

I agree with the other poster, if you do not have a set, buy a cheap one- I know Costco is selling a set...etc.

We left them home for the Grand Med cruises as we had no desire to snorkel at any beaches then..

So many choices!! Every cruiser is different...

Bernadette

OP, to answer your question, we rented all the time when Princess offered this. It was very convienent. Unfortunatley they do not offer it anymore. I agree about purchasing a set from Costco/Sams etc.

Some come with a nice carry/storage bag.

Thanks, everyone. As far as the issue of sanitation goes, I know it sounds icky, but I was more confident once I saw them putting bleach in the cleaning water for the snorkels. In any event, we will purchase a set and carry them along on our Caribbean cruises.

In any event, we will purchase a set and carry them along on our Caribbean cruises.

You will be glad that you did. We just used ours for the second time in February. We picked them up inexpensively online in January 2013 right after Christmas. Each set has a nice carry bag. We wrap them in kitchen trash bags in the luggage. I'm sure we'll have them for a long time.

:D

The Costco sets are made by US DIVERS which my friends who worked in my brothers dive shop always avoided using/buying/reccomending.

Surprising expensive for what it is

Adult 39.99, kids 24.99...

I'd get them elsewhere!

Bernadette

I would not even consider renting snorkel equipment. Just because it is soaking in a bucket "with bleach" you have no way of knowing if the proper concentration or length of time soaking has been attained to kill the germs. Rent the flippers and vest, but never anything that you put in your mouth or over your nose and eyes!!

Sent from my YP-G70 using Forums mobile app

Edited by SusieKay

Thanks, Bernadette. We just got back from Costco with our US DIVERS sets. They'll remain packaged until we do some more research online and find better!!

For what you are using them for they would be fine.

We have had a few US Diver sets.

They are not that bad.

We bought our trial sets at a big box sporting goods store. Can I say the name here? Dicks. They worked fine.

Since we fell in love with this sport, we invested in masks with our scripts in the lens' and also better snorkels. The fins - still work and we take our equipment with us.

We too do not like the idea of using equipment we don't know really know about.

You gotta know Costco usually has GREAT quality, I was really just shocked at the prices..I have a feeling they are probably fine!

Wouldnt be a bad idea to research prices on that brand..My husband took the pic for me when I was at the gym (how awesome of him to get the info and do the run for food)...usually Costco adds something into the package to make it a better deal...like a case...

So, mine are ScubaPro, but too expensive unless you forsee you will use them enough to make it worth it!

Bernadette