Reflagging?

Calliope

Princess has recently reflagged the DIAMOND PRINCESS and SAPPHIRE PRINCESS, and their registry is now London. Is there any chance that Cunard might return to once again being able to use their old motto of, "Great ships of British registry since 1840"? I for one would greatly appreciate such a return to British registry.

Edited by Calliope

Princess has recently reflagged the DIAMOND PRINCESS and SAPPHIRE PRINCESS, and their registry is now London. Is there any chance that Cunard might return to once again being able to use their old motto of, "Great ships of British registry since 1840"? I for one would greatly appreciate such a return to British registry.

Frank,

You raise an interesting point. I, too, would very much like to see the registry of the fleet return to Southampton which was Cunard's strongest and most legitimate claim to the great history and traditions at the core of the company.

I wouldn't hold my breath but would be quite surprised, and delighted of course, to see such a change. On the other hand, I am sure that management would not entertain what would be a "reversal of fortune" now that the Pay Equity requirement has been circumvented in the guise of weddings at sea.

• 3 weeks later...

Frank:

Wow...London as port of registry ! Do you have any information as to why this was done ?? I never thought that I'd live to see the day...

Tom

Frank:

Wow...London as port of registry ! Do you have any information as to why this was done ?? I never thought that I'd live to see the day...

Tom

"...Princess has made no announcement but according to sources in Bermuda it may have something to do with the new trades the ships are shifting to in Singapore and the Far East as there may be some fiscal advantage to UK registry in Far East and Australian waters..."

quoted from http://www.latecruisenews.com/2014/05/05/princess-50th-anniversary-cruise-on-pacific-princess-other-cruise-news-princess-pair-reflagged-to-uk-adventure-canada-takes-on-larger-ship-next-year/

A tiny ripple on the Princess forum: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2012732

Edited by Salacia

Frank:

Tom

Hi Tom,

Just got back from the 10th Anniversary QM2 Crossing, which was, of course, great fun. The service and food in the Britannia Restaurant was fantastic!

Anyway, years ago Princess registered their ships in London. Next time you have the opportunity to watch an old episode of "The Love Boat" and there is a scene of one of the ship's tail ends the port of registry will show London.

Frank

Great news, Frank, on you participating in the 10th Anniversary festivities ! Delighted to hear your good thoughts on Britannia...

I was very surprised to hear of a company RETURNING to British registry...especially in light of Cunard's change a couple of years ago. Money, taxes, regulations all would seem to encourage the opposite action.

I sure remember Princess ships registered in London...P&O ships registered in the UK, too.

"...Princess has made no announcement but according to sources in Bermuda it may have something to do with the new trades the ships are shifting to in Singapore and the Far East as there may be some fiscal advantage to UK registry in Far East and Australian waters..."

quoted from http://www.latecruisenews.com/2014/05/05/princess-50th-anniversary-cruise-on-pacific-princess-other-cruise-news-princess-pair-reflagged-to-uk-adventure-canada-takes-on-larger-ship-next-year/

A tiny ripple on the Princess forum: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2012732

Very interesting. Thank you for this information.

• 1 month later...

Tom - welcome back to the boards. Haven't heard from you in a while - last time you were planning your trip to Cambridge. Trust all is well?

Regards,

Marge. Ps. Dave and I are still cruising!

Well :eek:! And these are not even British ships. There's a dreadful new reality show called "Ladies of London", in which the "ladies" are nearly all Americans, and the worst possible representation of Americans---you know, more bleached blonde LA types, plus brash, loud and tacky. I've also noticed "British" movies lately with mostly American characters, all living in London. The inverse of British invasion? Well most of Paris seems to have moved to NYC lately, so I guess musical countries is a general theme of this era.

Edited by Leucothea

Hi Tom,

Just got back from the 10th Anniversary QM2 Crossing, which was, of course, great fun. The service and food in the Britannia Restaurant was fantastic!

Anyway, years ago Princess registered their ships in London. Next time you have the opportunity to watch an old episode of "The Love Boat" and there is a scene of one of the ship's tail ends the port of registry will show London.

Frank

I had no idea. Well there you go, not such a new thing after all. "The Love Boat", that was a long time ago! I suppose I overreacted (I'm on a perpetual diet and it's making me very cranky :rolleyes:).

Maybe Princess website hasn't been updated, but I just checked and it has the entire fleet showing Bermuda registry.

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Princess-Cruises-Fleet-Overview.html#.U7RGWrHghfg

We recently completed 27 days in Japan, Taiwan and South Korea and did notice the change in registry of the Diamond. We first noticed it when walking the promenade and saw the life rings saying London. There was no mention of the change or when it occurred.........perhaps when it was in drydock recently. I don't believe it made any difference in our cruising experience! ;)

I understand one advantage to Cunard, when they re-registered, was the added ability to perform weddings onboard as a new revenue producing offering.

I wonder if those Princess ships, then, gave up the ability of their captains to perform marriage ceremonies by re-registering to England…

tjcox9, did you notice whether, or not, weddings took place on your recent voyage?

Tom - welcome back to the boards. Haven't heard from you in a while - last time you were planning your trip to Cambridge. Trust all is well?

Regards,

Marge. Ps. Dave and I are still cruising!

Marge:

My goodness - wonderful to be in touch with you (after all these years) !!

Yes, you were quite kind with your information, suggestions, and ideas back in '05, regarding our visit to Cambridge. Thank you again !

We had a tremendous time in Cambridge. It was December 31st, 2005. My wife, myself and a friend from here in the States met our friend, Andrew there. Andrew lives in Essex and is an alumnus of Trinity Hall college, Cambridge.

We started the day by taking the wonderful Cambridge city walking tour, then Andrew gave us his own personal view of the city. After attending a movie in the later afternoon, we four had a delightful dinner at, if memory serves, a restaurant called "No. 1 King's Parade". All in all, a truly wonderful day !

Yes, I have not been too active on the Boards for many years. We have, however, been sailing...we made QE2's final four TA crossings in'08, have done some QM2 & QV crossings, a cruise to Norway, and two cruises from NY to Nova Scotia.

You and Dave are well ? If you're cruising, that's a good sign !

Best wishes -

Tom

Edited by Transatlantic Tom

We recently completed 27 days in Japan, Taiwan and South Korea and did notice the change in registry of the Diamond. We first noticed it when walking the promenade and saw the life rings saying London. There was no mention of the change or when it occurred.........perhaps when it was in drydock recently. I don't believe it made any difference in our cruising experience! ;)

Thanks for your post. tjcox. That is good information. Port of Registry of any cruise ship I sail with is important to me, so I really appreciate your most current information. Regards, -S

I understand one advantage to Cunard, when they re-registered, was the added ability to perform weddings onboard as a new revenue producing offering.

I wonder if those Princess ships, then, gave up the ability of their captains to perform marriage ceremonies by re-registering to England…

tjcox9, did you notice whether, or not, weddings took place on your recent voyage?

Sorry, I can't answer that as we didn't see any wedding activity, however, they do still have a wedding chapel on deck 6. I do believe it was moved during the drydock though.

Talking to our waiter when Cunard moved their country of registration one effect was that they were no longer required to pay the minimum UK wage rate and as such there was much unrest among the staff, especially the European ones!