Diabetic choices?

BIG_Steve

I'm type 1 and haven't had a problem ordering meals. You have to be a little savvy on what is a good choice. Read the descriptions to see if there might be sweet sauces or fried foods to avoid. Most of the appetizers and main courses are fine. Breads, soups, and desserts are the problem areas. I order salads instead of the soups, and ask for a bowl of berries or other fruits for dessert. Some of the sugar free desserts can cause blood sugar spikes. The good part of watching what you eat is not gaining weight on the cruise.

DH is diabetic! He has no problem in the dining room or buffet - Just has to be careful to not be tempted by things he should not eat!:D

I have even had table mates in dining room who had no problem!

Just remember - You don't have to eat everything on the plate and if what you want is in 2 different entrees order both, eat what you want!:D

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but I'm wondering why you can't just make appropriate choices for yourself off the regular menu? I had gestational diabetes and never once asked for anything special anywhere we ate out or traveled. I just knew what I could eat. If I could make proper choices while being a temporary diabetic, surely you know right from wrong having to live with it for the rest of your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but I'm wondering why you can't just make appropriate choices for yourself off the regular menu? I had gestational diabetes and never once asked for anything special anywhere we ate out or traveled. I just knew what I could eat. If I could make proper choices while being a temporary diabetic, surely you know right from wrong having to live with it for the rest of your life.

Well, you certainly do sound snarky. I know how to take care of myself. Thanks, I think (?)

Not to be flippant, but wouldn't diabetic choices include meats and vegetables? I know there are plenty of no sugar added desserts. Enjoy!

Diabetics are supposed to consume measured quantities of carbs, fat, and protein. Because something is merely sugar free, does not automatically make it diabetic friendly. It could be loaded with fat or other carbs.

Veggies can contain a lot of carbs, especially if slathered with some type of unknown sauce.

I can do it okay from the table, just looking to see if CCL has done something to make it just a little bit easier is all.

Did you ever think that the person asking might be newly diagnosed with Diabetes and might not yet have a handle on what they can and can not eat? I was diagnosed as Type 2 in October of 2012. For the first few months I was afraid to eat most things because I didn't know what it would do. I am still discovering things that make my blood sugar too high. It is not always black and white, can eat or can't eat something. For me it is still trial and error on new things or combinations of things.

I am a type 2 diabetic. Have been on several cruises since my diagnoses in 2009. If you stay away from the pastas, bread, potatoes, fried foods etc you will be ok. I usually ask the waiter to not put any sauce on my fish/chicken/steak and tell them why. Never had a problem and most of the waiters will remember if you go back to the same waiter a second time.

and forget the sugar free deserts. They are nasty. Once a cruise I cheat and eat the warm chocolate mellting cake (ok 1/2 half of it) and then go walk four laps of the deck to feel less guilty.

If I am going to drink alcohol I stick to tequila. Actually there was a great article on aol health last month about a study from the University of Guadalajara medical school about tequila and diabetes. and my son (who is a physician) said it is true that tequila can cause the least amount of sugar spikes if drunk in moderation. It is the mixes you have to avoid. Fortunately there are now powered sugar free margarita mixes available to use. Too bad the cruise ship does not stock them. That is something you have to pack yourself.

Interesting stuff about the tequila and sugar free mixes.

Big Steve, I've been thinking about this thread. One thing no one has mentioned is that serving sizes in the MDR are very reasonable. You won't find your plate heaped full of food. The other thing is that you can ask for things that aren't on the menu, such as steamed vegetables or a bowl of berries. Scoops of ice cream are on the small side too. A scoop is about 1/4 cup or roughly 10 grams carbohydrate, 19 for 1/2 cup.

One tool that has really helped me is a Dexcom G4 continuous glucose monitor. I wear the transmitter on my upper arm and keep the receiver in my pocket. The part on my arm is waterproof, the other isn't but can stay in a beach bag when swimming. I check throughout the day to make sure I'm within a good range. There are also alarms to let you know when you are going too high or low and rising or falling too fast. It's been a lifesaver for me.

I'm diabetic and want to eat as properly as is reasonably possible on the ship. Does the dining room have diabetic choices on the menu? Is it something you have to request in advance?

Thanks.

What I have found that works for me is eating several small meals throughout the day. Usually fruits and salads to snack on. Turkey from the deli and lots of walking. No elevators:D This helps me try to maintain a balanced glucose level. Though I try not to over indulge, being on vacation I do allow myself a bit of lee way. Keep monitoring throughout the cruise and enjoy yourself. Your activity level will dictate what you can and cannot have. Just from my own personal situation, results may vary.

I'm diabetic and want to eat as properly as is reasonably possible on the ship. Does the dining room have diabetic choices on the menu? Is it something you have to request in advance?

Thanks.

Big Steve - I'm type 2. I cruised last July on Miracle and found many choices on the regular menu. I was a bit stressed before hand about how I'd manage, but my numbers were only slightly higher than normal (I included lots of early morning walks up on deck and used the stairs mostly) and I did indulge some in my fave Carnival foods.

Under your booking on Carnival's site I noticed you can notify them you are diabetic. It still requires you to contact the maitre d' once on board.

Also on their website I noticed:

Dietary Needs:

Carnival Cruise Lines can provide our guests with the following special dietary needs: Vegetarian, Low-Cholesterol, Low-Fat, Low-Carbohydrates, Low-Sugar, Gluten Free, Indian Vegetarian, and Kosher. No advance notice is required; we kindly ask that you please inform our dining team so you can discuss your meal options. Additionally, we also request you advise our dining team of any food allergies you have.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm a Type II diabetic which I control completely by diet. It's never a problem for me to order off the regular menu. Like in any restaurant at home, I'm just careful about what I order. :)

LuLu

I cruise with my dad who is an insulin dependent diabetic. He wears an insulin pump. He eats basically the same thing at dinner each night....Flat Iron Steak. Breakfast and Lunch he is a little more flexible.

He eats a lot of fruit onboard and will have the diet cake in the MDR.

Also on their website I noticed:

Dietary Needs:

Carnival Cruise Lines can provide our guests with the following special dietary needs: Vegetarian' date=' Low-Cholesterol, Low-Fat, Low-Carbohydrates, Low-Sugar, Gluten Free, Indian Vegetarian, and Kosher. [u']No advance notice is required; we kindly ask that you please inform our dining team so you can discuss your meal options.[/u] Additionally, we also request you advise our dining team of any food allergies you have.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks

and forget the sugar free deserts. They are nasty. Once a cruise I cheat and eat the warm chocolate mellting cake (ok 1/2 half of it) and then go walk four laps of the deck to feel less guilty.

That's strange my mom who is diabetic has always loved the sugar-free desserts! I've tried a couple of them and found them to be occasionally superior to another dessert I've ordered.

Don't forget to ask your room steward for a sharps container for your lancets that you use to check your blood with the glucose meter... it's not just for needles for insulin and such- if you check your blood regularly you will accumulate a lot of the sticks (DH's are called lancets- not sure if that's the standard name or not) and they will provide you a container and dispose of it for you after the cruise.