Last minute booking on the Gem…help!!

We have an opportunity to join some friends for a week on the Gem (NY-NY-Bahamas). It's literally a week away and we need to make our decision today! We have never booked last minute and have only traveled NCL once before.

Is it better to book directly with NCL, use a local TA (we don't have a special one) or the "last minute deal" that came thru email? Any advantages or pitfalls with either?

Anything else about the Gem I should know? thanks!!

What's a PCC? (nevermind..!! used the "search" function and found out) Since this is only our 2nd cruise with NCL I don't know how to obtain our "personal cruise consultant"!!

Booking last minute are we doomed to getting the worst cabin? Is there a link/site that lists "better/worse" cabins?

Edited by pbnjrockette

Just check the deck plans. Not sure what your preferences are for cabin location. Can't give you my PCC's name. Sorry.

I am sure you will have a great time no matter what.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Are you going 5/10 in an IX?

You're killing me with acronyms! IX---inside cabin?

Yes, it's 5/10 and we are looking at a balcony. Not very familiar with the NCL layouts---just hope not to be somewhere where there is a lot of noise!!

If you book directly with NCL are you more apt to get a "better" cabin than with the "hot deals" websites or is it just luck of the draw?

Always booked directly with NCL so I don't know about other sources. As long as you have cabins above and below you, you should be fine.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

I always book directly with NCL...and I always get a balcony near the glass elevators, always on deck 10 thusfar...it's a wonderful location! Have a great cruise...it's a wonderful ship!

Re Anything else I should know.

When you embark go to the Main dining room for lunch as it

is much nicer with all the windows & not a zoo topsides.

Thank YOU… sounds like a great idea!

I bit the bullet and booked this cruise! I've never done a last minute before… now have to learn everything NCL in just a few short days!!

Have fun! If they did not assign you a room number during your booking, keep checking your online account obsessively. If you hate the location (e.g., below a night club or jogging track), you can TRY to have it changed prior to sailing.

I am going on the "Gem" in October for 11 days~~been on her before in a mini-suite in "2011" with some high school friends, that is why I cruise solo now. She is a beautiful ship, I explored but the other ones wanted to go for spa treatments all the time or watch T.V. in the cabin, not fun stuff! I book through someone else and never had a problem, cannot say who! Have a great cruise!