Mariner OTS...Captain Johnny?

Captain Johnny just left the Mariner last week. His last official week as Captain was on our cruise that finished July 17. He sailed as an observer the next week and then left the ship. I heard on board that he was going on vacation for 16 weeks, which means he won't be there when you sail. Sorry.

I'll have to tell you that on all of our cruises, he has to be one of the best captains we've ever encountered. Most everyone who sailed with him felt the same way.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

I just saw recently on this board that he is gone, either for the normal 4-month OFF rotation...or some posters said he retired. :confused: Not sure what is the real story, but it seems he is off now and will be for your cruise (and mine too in late August). Too bad, I was really hoping to meet him as well!

Guest nhrich

Capt. Johnny had just come back from vacation when we sailed with him on May 22, so this sounds like it's not the regular schedule. Maybe he's off to the shipyard to start getting things ready for the Freedom, but it seems it's a little early for that.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

He was our Captain during the 6/5 sailing and kept us safe and in as much good weather as possible during Tropical Storm Arlene. Have read reviews of his handling of Hurricane Emily and he was superb for that storm. Too bad he won't be there for the rest of hurricane season. I wonder why he is off early -- maybe something to do with Freedom. He is one of RCCL's best captains. Loved his book, which is sold in the bookstore. If he is on board, he has a session to autograph it with a nice personal message.

he wouldn't be onboard during our sailing:(

Boo-Hoo...he is the best!

I bought his book as well while on Mariner the Christmas before last and he signed it for me too. We celebrated our 27th Anniversary onboard and he was celebrating 27 years with RCI on the same sailing. Made the cruise a lot of fun...hope the Captain in September is half as good!

I know Capt Johnny is a Training Capt for the Voyager class ships so would not be at all surprised if he were not taking over the helm of Freedom!!

Archived