Re-entry into the cruising world

jayblue

I've just booked my first cruise since 1997. Can anyone tell me, aside from what I see from reading here, what changes have been made? What do you like/dislike? This will be my first solo sailing. (YAY!)

I know that many veteran cruisers dislike the change in dress code. I will likely be dressing for dinner on my formal night, but this will likely be my last cruise doing so.

I will be on Liberty of the Seas, which is unofficially my first megaship. I've been on Majesty (twice) and Enchantment of the Seas, which were considered megaships in their day.

Edited by jayblue

Hi, I have been cruising solo for 11 years and love it:) Actually,

it is the only way I sail:D

I would tell you to check the roll call forum for your particular cruise.

It can be a nice way to meet other folks:)

I've just booked my first cruise since 1997. Can anyone tell me, aside from what I see from reading here, what changes have been made? What do you like/dislike? This will be my first solo sailing. (YAY!)

I know that many veteran cruisers dislike the change in dress code. I will likely be dressing for dinner on my formal night, but this will likely be my last cruise doing so.

I will be on Liberty of the Seas, which is unofficially my first megaship. I've been on Majesty (twice) and Enchantment of the Seas, which were considered megaships in their day.

Well, IMO you'll notice right off that with the modern-day megaships there is less personal attention, which can be a good thing if you're like me (kinda shy and/or an introvert). I also notice that the food isn't quite as good as they are preparing larger quantities, so it begins to taste like cafateria food. You'll notice longer lines at any of the buffets and may notice more (uncontrolled) kids running around everywhere. And if you tend to use the elevators instead of doing the stairs, you'll prolly see them running slower. Also along the routes of the megaship, everything is gaudier...not elegant, upscale glamour like the old days of the Queen Elizabeth or even the Titanic.

Yes, the change in dress code does take away some of the "glamour" of the old days of cruise ship travel, but, personally, I like it more casual as I'm able to pack less, therefore having less to worry about/repack, etc. In fact, the cruise I'm traveling solo on that leaves this Saturday, my only luggage is one carry-on! I'm super happy about that!! I'm uber-organized and am able to pack one black, lightweight skirt and then mix and match blouses. Yes, I'm traveling solo, but I'm very happily married, aged 49, and am not out to impress anyone or pick anyone up, so I really don't care to "dress to impress." And I won't have any pictures taken or purchase any, so what's the point of dressing up? For me, there isn't any. I think it all depends on the "reason" a person wants to dress up. And finally, on all of my previous cruises, I found that after dinner, everyone rushes back to their rooms to change back into casual, more comfortable clothes anyway. Go figure.

I think I will like this! I am an introvert when I want to be (70% of the time). The purpose of my cruise is relaxation (except on formal night). Good reading material, a decent cup of coffee, and a bit of entertainment is all I am looking for. And Liberty is huge enough for me not to feel crowded.

jayblue RCCL cruiser