Bear Spray??

PalmTreeBound

If you are close enough to a Bear to need or try to use "bear spray" then you better start praying!!!

So true! :) I live in bear country and frequently go hiking with my dog. If we see a bear we leave. Fast. Haven't ever had any trouble that way and I don't intend to.

Wont be able to bring it on the ship, period.

Most bears wont bother with you unless they are hungry, or you get in between mom and her

Cubs

Bears don't like people any more than we like them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When traveling in bear country, I, which is often, usually take a friend(s).

Normally, I take Smith and Wesson. However, when in hostile grizzly country or coastal brown bear environments, I take Winchester along.

Since our visitor season is just beginning now, it is time for the National Park Rangers to bone up on their safety presentations. e.g.

"In light of increased grizzly bear encounters with humans, Alaska National Parks Authority has advised hikers, backpackers, hunters and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears.

They recommend that those venturing into wilds wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle the bears.

They also advise carrying pepper spray in case of a bear encounter.

The rangers feel it is a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity.

One way of doing this is to recognize the differences in bear scat (poop, crap).

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear scat, smells like pepper and has little bells in it!"

On a more serious note, I'm not a big fan of bear spray. But it is better than nothing I suppose. If you are on a typical cruise to Alaska and not going it alone on long hikes into the wild or on a fly-in to a wilderness location to be left for a few days, then I wouldn't worry about this at all. Other than that, then perhaps you should contemplate, reality. I have spent a life time in the Alaska bush and have had a lot of worrisome encounters with bears, both black and brown. Never, had one attack. Always remember, they are much more afraid of you than you are of them. Having said that, I have friends, acquaintances and customers that have had some bad experiences. Some are no longer with us as a result. So, in my opinion, you have to pay attention and be very careful.

You are going to run into grief trying to take bear spray on most any mode of transportation. For obvious reasons, if the spray should go off inside a passenger cabin where flight crew may also be involved, it could be disastrous for everyone. Most commercial bush pilots up here will let you take bear spray. But you must give it to them before you board. They will duct tape it to a wing strut so it is outside the fuselage.

Personally, here are the rules I try to follow:

I usually carry a weapon, particularly when alone in bear country. I normally pack a pretty heavy hand gun. But if in brown bear country I carry a short barrel pump action 3 inch 12 gauge magnum shot gun, using bear slugs. Most important, I try to avoid bear conflicts by putting a lot of distance between me and them, when:

1. I have any idea that a sow and cubs are in the vicinity.

2. There are salmon spawning in a stream or river system. Stay as far away as you are able to and avoid walking through dense brush, and do make a lot of noise.

3. There has been a kill in the vicinity, e.g. moose, caribou, deer, etc.

4. During the extremely rare occasion when you are attacked, and happen to have a weapon, you better know how to use it very ,very, well. Studies show you have only less than two seconds to react if a real charge should occur ( a brown bear can move at 40 MPH over a short distance, I have measured that myself; imagine a mass of over 500-1000 pounds of almost pure muscle, coming at you at that speed). Meaning, always keep a distance between you and them and likely nothing will ever occur in the way of an attack.

Edited by kennicott

Personally, here are the rules I try to follow:

I usually carry a weapon, particularly when alone in bear country. I normally pack a pretty heavy hand gun. But if in brown bear country I carry a short barrel pump action 3 inch 12 gauge magnum shot gun, using bear slugs. Most important, I try to avoid bear conflicts by putting a lot of distance between me and them, when:

Solid, solid advise.

My FIL wanted me to ask you-what is the difference between bear slugs and deer slugs or is there any? He lives in NE Iowa and slugs are the only thing you can use to hunt deer. NO RIFLES allowed. And some of the Minnesota moose herd have moved into the very furthest corner of NE Iowa, bordering MN and WI. While he has gone moose hunting in MN and Canada with a rifle, he thought he might give it a try in Iowa. But doesn't think a deer slug will bring a moose down and the same rules apply to moose as deer in Iowa. He is 82, LIVES hunting, fishing and trapping (as bad as Duck Dynasty and duck hunting) and just wanted me to ask. Thanks for any info.

Solid, solid advise.

My FIL wanted me to ask you-what is the difference between bear slugs and deer slugs or is there any? He lives in NE Iowa and slugs are the only thing you can use to hunt deer. NO RIFLES allowed. And some of the Minnesota moose herd have moved into the very furthest corner of NE Iowa, bordering MN and WI. While he has gone moose hunting in MN and Canada with a rifle, he thought he might give it a try in Iowa. But doesn't think a deer slug will bring a moose down and the same rules apply to moose as deer in Iowa. He is 82, LIVES hunting, fishing and trapping (as bad as Duck Dynasty and duck hunting) and just wanted me to ask. Thanks for any info.

If he can get within a 100 yards he can take down a moose with a 12 gauge slug. Moose aren't real tough animals to bring down but getting really close in areas where you can hunt can be a challange.

Solid, solid advise.

Good question. Reason I choose the shotgun with a short barrel and slugs is because of the stopping power of that huge chunk of lead in very close quarters. Chances are when I have to use it there will be brush and trees all around and a high velocity bullet could deflect a lot easier. Remember, you probably will have less than two or three seconds, meaning the bear comes on you unexpected, it won't be like watching it attack across a open field. Therefore, I leave my 300 Weatherby magnum behind, if it was going to be a 300 yard shot, that would be my weapon. I assume the reason for the restriction in Iowa is for safety and to hold the killing range to a minimum in relatively populated areas.

However, I'm not really a gun expert, but my friend Rick is, a gunsmith too. So I forwarded him your question. He lives in remote bush Alaska. His response:

"Nice to hear from you. Sounds like you are having fun and being able to dispense some very sound advice. I agree with your comments completely. Especially about being familiar with the weapon. Do you remember our friend, Don's, situation when the other guy threw him a lever action, which Don wasn't real familiar with? When he pulled the trigger, CLICK. The safety was on. Don got hurt.

As far as slugs go, I don't have a lot of experience with them personally. However people I respect say a slug at close range will kill anything that walks. I don't think there is a difference between "deer slugs" and "bear slugs". I could be wrong.

One story about slugs and bears is at:"

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2013/05/loaded-bear-choosing-shotgun-and-shell-combo-Alaska

Edited by kennicott
spelling

So would you say hiking the trails around Mendenhall Glacier is generally safe? We have a car rental and plan to spend a few hours there hiking, so not just doing the quickie Nugget Falls walk. Thanks!

in 2009 the closest we got to bears (plural) was on the trail right outside the exhibition hall there at Mendenhall. We were inside the building looking out the huge window when the lady next to my wife starts pounding on the glas yelling "That's my husband'" Down on a corner of the trail, there is her husband and around the corner is a bear walking towards him! When they saw each other each went the other way quickly. Five minutes later it happened again but with a different person and a different bear. It turns out they are brother and sister and had been in the area for several months. They simply avoided people. It was funny to watch though. as for bear spray... well, just watch for the bear poop that smells like bear spary and is full of tinkling bells heheheheh

Cheers, Kenn

So it appears the point of this is that savvy Alaskans carry guns for bear protection and tourists are supposed to carry a can of rocks. :)

This would be correct. :rolleyes: And I like the comments by those about bear spray who've never used it. There is a reason I carry both a firearm and bear spray.

Edited by bearbait

Since 2000 there have been a total of 23 fatal bear attacks in the United States. On average in 2011, 89 people were killed on the roadways of the U.S. each day.

It's all about perspective. I hike in bear country all the time, have been for almost 50 years, and carry only common sense. As with plane crashes, I'm far more likely to die on the way to the trail or airport.

Since 2000 there have been a total of 23 fatal bear attacks in the United States. On average in 2011, 89 people were killed on the roadways of the U.S. each day.

It's all about perspective. I hike in bear country all the time, have been for almost 50 years, and carry only common sense. As with plane crashes, I'm far more likely to die on the way to the trail or airport.

I survived a plane crash outside of Nome because I wore a shoulder harness. Been charged by half a dozen bears. Haven't had to shoot any with a firearm but have used my bear spray. Common sense goes a long ways when you use the correct tools.

I survived a plane crash outside of Nome because I wore a shoulder harness. Been charged by half a dozen bears. Haven't had to shoot any with a firearm but have used my bear spray. Common sense goes a long ways when you use the correct tools.

Maybe we should tell tourists not to go to Alaska at all! Is that your plan, scare those crazy tourists away? I would imagine you can say the same about remote areas of Yellowstone.

People should just use common sense and not go alone and unprepared into remote places. Those types of areas are not frequented by tourists off cruise ships.

By the way this is a serious question, good grief....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good question. Reason I choose the shotgun with a short barrel and slugs is because of the stopping power of that huge chunk of lead in very close quarters. Chances are when I have to use it there will be brush and trees all around and a high velocity bullet could deflect a lot easier. Remember, you probably will have less than two or three seconds, meaning the bear comes on you unexpected, it won't be like watching it attack across a open field. Therefore, I leave my 300 Weatherby magnum behind, if it was going to be a 300 yard shot, that would be my weapon. I assume the reason for the restriction in Iowa is for safety and to hold the killing range to a minimum in relatively populated areas.

However, I'm not really a gun expert, but my friend Rick is, a gunsmith too. So I forwarded him your question. He lives in remote bush Alaska. His response:

"Nice to hear from you. Sounds like you are having fun and being able to dispense some very sound advice. I agree with your comments completely. Especially about being familiar with the weapon. Do you remember our friend, Don's, situation when the other guy threw him a lever action, which Don wasn't real familiar with? When he pulled the trigger, CLICK. The safety was on. Don got hurt.

As far as slugs go, I don't have a lot of experience with them personally. However people I respect say a slug at close range will kill anything that walks. I don't think there is a difference between "deer slugs" and "bear slugs". I could be wrong.

One story about slugs and bears is at:"

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2013/05/loaded-bear-choosing-shotgun-and-shell-combo-Alaska

Thanks to you and bearbait for answering the question. When I relayed the info to my FIL last night, then the discussion became Remington solid copper vs Bernneke (Sp?) vs Foster. I wouldn't know one from the other-DH had a few slugs (have no idea what kind they were) but since he moved out of Iowa when he was 28 and lived in Missouri for over 20 years, most ammo he had was for high powered rifles or handguns, including that "elephant" gun Weatherby which now resides at my BIL's house.

Guess FIL will just have to figure it out himself. And yes, you are correct. Iowa has this weird thing about using deer slugs but it is not very crowded hunting in Iowa because so much of the land is farmland and you can see for miles. There just aren't a lot of deer there anymore.

Northern MO makes a killing off of Iowa hunters for out of state licenses because the deer are super thick in Northern MO (way too thick because this year, landowners can take 3 bucks and 2 does on their own property-usually it is 2 bucks and 1 doe). Lots of Boone and Crockett champion deer have been shot within 10 miles of our farm. Someone took a non typical TWENTY NINE pointer off the south edge of our farm 5 years ago.

I agree about the short barrel. After DH died, I traded in his Weatherby trap gun for an 18" barrel tactical 870 for here in the house. There has always been a Remington auto loaded with 00 buck next to the bed. But that long barrel may have been just too big for me to handle quickly, at night by myself. So that short barrel 870, while it kicks a lot more, is just what I needed.

Thanks again for the info.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but six years ago we were in Yellowstone National Park taking the Yellowstone Association's five-day "hike with a naturalist" excursions. Our guide told us there has never been a documented bear attack when a group consisted of four or more people.

Since 2000 there have been a total of 23 fatal bear attacks in the United States. On average in 2011, 89 people were killed on the roadways of the U.S. each day. It's all about perspective. I hike in bear country all the time, have been for almost 50 years, and carry only common sense. As with plane crashes, I'm far more likely to die on the way to the trail or airport.

You are talking numerators with vastly different denominators. (In other words, far more people drive daily than hike in bear country.)

As with both driving and hiking, it makes sense to take reasonable precautions while enjoying the freedom and benefits offered by both activities.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but six years ago we were in Yellowstone National Park taking the Yellowstone Association's five-day "hike with a naturalist" excursions. Our guide told us there has never been a documented bear attack when a group consisted of four or more people.

"Joshua Berg, 17, from New York and Samuel Gottsegen, 17, from Denver were the two youths to suffer most when a group of seven students from Palmer's National Outdoor Leadership School. A wilderness course experienced what might best be described as a head-on collision with a mama grizzly. All met unexpectedly in the narrow confines of a brush-lined valley about 100 miles north of Anchorage. What followed was chaos. Four students ended up being bitten and all were scared out of their wits.

Berg was attacked and knocked to the ground before he could grab the bear spray he and others were carrying with which to defend themselves. Berg cracked his skull.

The bear left him alone and went after the rest of the group, Gottsegen's bad luck was to be second in line. The bear bit him in the chest.

Then there was just chaos, the first two students got it first … there was a little bit of a distance to the rest of the crew.

Some of them were trying to get to their bear spray. They never did. There wasn't enough time. The bear bit or clawed three more and kept going."

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/alaska-bear-attack-nols-kids-did-phenomenal-job

Maybe we should tell tourists not to go to Alaska at all! Is that your plan, scare those crazy tourists away? I would imagine you can say the same about remote areas of Yellowstone.

People should just use common sense and not go alone and unprepared into remote places. Those types of areas are not frequented by tourists off cruise ships.

By the way this is a serious question, good grief....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You've probably never been a bear guide for a company that takes cruise ship passangers on bear tours in southeast Alaska. As for going into the wilderness alone, thousands of people do it every year and live to tell about it. Life can't and shouldn't always be lived with someone holding your hand every step of the way.

I encourage people to come here and enjoy. It's like no other place in the lower 48. Use common sense and good judgement. Enjoy.

I spent 30 yrs doing engineering work on fish enhancement projects in Alaska; fish are a big thing.... summers were in the field when the fish were in, with the bears.

The only bad encounters were when something came up that made me lose focus and situational awareness; walking too fast and thinking about something else.

I'm a handclapping "hey bear" shouting kind of person. I only know of bad experiences with bear spray and none of them occurred during an encounter.

secrets revealed - there's a hardrock tunnel that bypasses the waterfall at Anan and goes directly under the observatory.

Edited by bottom-dragger

Most of the places that tourists go hiking are all OK. I do tell tourists that if they do hiking on their own.....and that includes inside some of the Anchorage Parks, bear spray is not a bad idea to carry....We have 800 bears within the city of Anchorage and they are there....and they are habituated to a point and that makes them dangerous....If you go walking around Glenn Alps or Kincaid Park, it is not a bad idea to have it...In Denali you will always be with a guide unless you do back country camping and as cruise ship people, that probably will not happen....The visitor center in Anchorage has a sheet with bear and moose info on it that you can carry in your pocket....Like Budget Queen said. a can with rock is good, bells do absolutely nothing, and talking or singing is best.