Pigeon Island

MVoelker

I just returned from Valor yesterday. I had never visited St. Lucia and was worried because of posts I read on various sites. I can say I will not go back there or if I do I will stay on the ship. We went through Carnival for this excursion. It was scary and awful. Two many people walking the beach asking you to buy their items. One toothless man would rub you with an aloe plant for cigarettes and then he wanted to see your cell phone. I also watched him sell marijuana to a man seated three chairs down from me and they smoked it on the beach. Small beach and Very rocky.

I just returned from Valor yesterday. I had never visited St. Lucia and was worried because of posts I read on various sites. I can say I will not go back there or if I do I will stay on the ship. We went through Carnival for this excursion. It was scary and awful. Two many people walking the beach asking you to buy their items. One toothless man would rub you with an aloe plant for cigarettes and then he wanted to see your cell phone. I also watched him sell marijuana to a man seated three chairs down from me and they smoked it on the beach. Small beach and Very rocky.

I enjoyed both my visits to St Lucia which were in 2013. On one trip we did a catamaran trip and toured the botanical gardens and the volcano crater and had lunch. On the other trip we went with Spencer Ambrose to a beautiful beach and snorkeled and had lunch while between the two Pitons.

It's a beautiful island. If you do a little more research I am sure that you will be able to find something more in your comfort zone to do.

Sorry to read of your negative experience and this one person affecting your day. Our last visit to Pigeon Island was very peaceful and we really enjoyed the White Sand drinks and walking the beach toward Sandals. Sounds like it was a busy day this day and you can expect all types on the public beaches of any destination, not just St Lucia.

Next visit just research other options and you're sure to have a great day as mentioned the cat/land tours are excellent and you are in good hands all day.

Our last visit to Pigeon Island was very peaceful and we really enjoyed the White Sand drinks and walking the beach toward Sandals. Sounds like it was a busy day this day and you can expect all types on the public beaches of any destination, not just St Lucia.

Sorry OP that you had a bad day. We did the full island tour with Cosol this year, and I was thinking of heading to Pigeon Island next year. Serenity Tours does a tour there or we might go on our own. What did you think of the beach blue_water?

While we have no desire to go back to Pigeon Beach either, there are some very nice things to do on St. Lucia. :)

LuLu

Thanks for posting LuLu. Now that we've done Cosol's tour, is there something different that you would recommend?

Thanks for posting LuLu. Now that we've done Cosol's tour, is there something different that you would recommend?

Hi! Was glad you enjoyed your Emerald cruise and plan to cruise on Princess again. :)

Our favorite thing to do in St. Lucia is go on a sailing catamaran that takes us both ways by water to view the Pitons. Love that view close up from the water!!! Princess SUL-105 does this with a beach stop at Anse Cochon. Fun Excursion! :D

LuLu

Hi! Was glad you enjoyed your Emerald cruise and plan to cruise on Princess again. :)

Our favorite thing to do in St. Lucia is go on a sailing catamaran that takes us both ways by water to view the Pitons. Love that view close up from the water!!! Princess SUL-105 does this with a beach stop at Anse Cochon. Fun Excursion! :D

LuLu

Loved it so much we booked the exact same time and itinerary on the Royal for next year! :D

I'll keep the catamaran idea in mind, thanks!

The shore by Jambe de Bois is pebbly and you'll want to walk toward Sandals and the Landings for the nice beach. The fort just up the hill is also an option for a walk. We love the White Sand at Jambe and relaxing over lunch there then taking a water taxi back to Castries.

But the southern excursions with the island tour and cat sail are excellent.

For great first-hand information on St Lucia, reedprincess on the St Lucia forum on tripadvisor is very helpful.

We are heading to St. Lucia next month for the first time and had planned to visit Pigeon Island to look at the forts and spend some time at the beach... Is this not a good option? We will have 2 kids (11 and 7) and my mother in law who is almost 70 with us....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you getting there via water taxi, land taxi (no longer an island) or with a guide to help you? If on your own it's a hike to the fort, and the nicer beach is back toward Sandals. It could be a difficult day depending on how well your mom inlaw can get around. We enjoyed lunch and drinks, but for a nice beach we would just go to nearby Rodney Bay.

ReedPrincess is a destination expert on the St Lucia forum on tripadvisor and can be an excellent source for more detailed help with this question.

Thank you for the tips!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been there only once and there could have been changes recently but the TA forum is an excellent source for current info on specific areas of the island.