Seeking things to do in Bermuda

cruising mickey

Hello,

I've heard from a few people that on a cruise to Bermuda, where the ship docks there for a few days, that shopping / beaches / golf are the main highlights (if not only ones), which would be a pro or con for that type of cruise depending on ones tastes......Could anyone shed some light on other "fun" things to do while on a Bermuda cruise which is docked in Bermuda for 2-3 days?

Thanks in advance.

My first visit to Bermuda was last August. Rented a small power boat for 4 hours one day. Would do so again. Spent time a beach another day. Third day, so shopping. Great thing is I can now go back and still find things to do.

• 1 month later...

We will be in Bermuda for 3 days in July. Not sure what there is to do in that amount of time since we aren't Golfers and my husband has a difficult time walking. I love to Kayak and snorkel. We can't really decide whether to take the cruise to Bermuda or to choose the one that goes to Turks and Caicos. In July, what do more experienced Cruisers recommend? I love to snorkel but I want to take a tour don't like doing it on my own. Also, is the island safe to explore on our own? We went to Jamaica a few years ago and didn't feel safe at all. Finally, I love to go to the local artisian markets looking for good deals on local crafts and apparel. Hows the market in Bermuda? Expensive?

Edited by bruceg2
forgot to ask a question

My first visit to Bermuda was last August. Rented a small power boat for 4 hours one day. Would do so again. Spent time a beach another day. Third day, so shopping. Great thing is I can now go back and still find things to do.

Was the boat rental expensive?

Was the boat rental expensive?

We have this scheduled in a couple weeks & our rate is $145 + gas for four hours. I thought that was a very reasonable price - excited to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be in Bermuda for 3 days in July. Not sure what there is to do in that amount of time since we aren't Golfers and my husband has a difficult time walking. I love to Kayak and snorkel. We can't really decide whether to take the cruise to Bermuda or to choose the one that goes to Turks and Caicos. In July, what do more experienced Cruisers recommend? I love to snorkel but I want to take a tour don't like doing it on my own. Also, is the island safe to explore on our own? We went to Jamaica a few years ago and didn't feel safe at all. Finally, I love to go to the local artisian markets looking for good deals on local crafts and apparel. Hows the market in Bermuda? Expensive?

For a list of possible things to do, check out the link I provided earlier in this thread (post #2).

If you want to snorkel using a tour I'm sure your cruise line offers something. Or you can check out the companies that offer snorkeling excursions listed on this page : http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000163.htm . I can't make a personal recommendation because I don't snorkel.

Bermuda is nothing like Jamaica. Bermudians are friendly and welcoming...they treat you like you are a guest in their home. We feel as comfortable there as we do at home (maybe even more comfortable). It's easy to get around using their bus and ferry system.There's nothing wrong with Turks and Caicos, but we love going to Bermuda and have been traveling there regularly for more than 25 years.

We're not big on buying local arts and craft, but there is a crafts market as well as other shops with locally made merchandise at the Royal Naval Dockyard, where your ship will likely be docked. There is also a weekly street fair with include crafts vendors, Harbour Nights, held in Hamilton every Wednesday night in the summer.

For someone with mobility issues you might want to consider taking a private tour of the island from one of the many Blue Flag taxi drivers. Blue Flag drivers are certified tour guides.

We're doing one of the multi-day Bermuda cruises in August. I've been there before, and feel comfortable enough that we probably won't book tours this time. It's very safe and very pretty.

My husband loves crumbly old forts, so we saw ALL of them last time. :) There's a big maritime museum right where the ships dock. He also took a segway tour there. This time we're cruising with our son, and the plan is a beach day, the aquarioum/zoo, and time spent walking around St George's, which we haven't had a chance to really explore yet. I'm not sure what else, possibly Fantasy Caves (we saw Crystal last time). Not sure that's a good one to take the toddler, too, though. We keep a light itinery because I tend to get tired easily. I do want to go to the Harbor Nights street fair. Not sure if there's time for more. DH wants to scuba, but the only excurion our ship is offering requires a dive in the last 2 years, and it's been longer than that. So we'll see. We have more than enough to do, though!

My trip this September will be my 7th year in a row that I have stopped in Bermuda for either one day or 3 days. I love Bermuda. I still have things I want to do. I am planning on walking the path along the South Shore Beaches this year and maybe playing the new miniature golf at the Dockyard. I love to wander through the Craft Market and the Clock Tower Mall. I never tire of going to Bermuda. It is such a beautiful island. The Bermuda Citizens are great and love having company come to their island. I love the public transportation both buses and ferries. Never have had a problem getting where I want to go. We rented two boats last year with family members and motored around the island at our own pace. Great adventure. We even passed under the Somerset Bridge. Of course, we did not have to have the draw bridge raised but it was still fun to see that bridge from the underside.

We also have been to Bermuda a few times. We have:

Swam with the dolphins

Hartley Helmet dive

Aquarium and Zoo

Jet Skiied

Catamaran ride

Crystal Caves

Been to beaches:

Elbow

Horseshoe Bay

Tobacco Bay

St Catherines

Taken the bus from one end of the island to the other, ferried from one end to the other....Bermuda is my happy place...So much that i booked a 2nd cruise this year for October...If anyone has any questions regarding any of the above places or things to do, please ask away!!:cool:

Swam with the dolphins

Hartley Helmet dive

Aquarium and Zoo

Jet Skiied

Catamaran ride

Crystal Caves

Been to beaches:

Elbow

Horseshoe Bay

Tobacco Bay

St Catherines

Taken the bus from one end of the island to the other, ferried from one end to the other....Bermuda is my happy place...So much that i booked a 2nd cruise this year for October...If anyone has any questions regarding any of the above places or things to do, please ask away!!:cool:

We will be taking our first trip to Bermuda in a couple weeks & I would love to know your opinion on the dolphin swim. A few years ago we went to Blue Lagoon Island in Nassau & really enjoyed the dolphin excursion. My daughter would like to do it again but I haven't seen many reviews. We have our first two days planned & still trying to decide on the last day. Toss up between dolphin swim, visiting caves & zoo/aquarium. If you had to pick, which would you choose? Also, my daughter is 18. Thank you!

We will be taking our first trip to Bermuda in a couple weeks & I would love to know your opinion on the dolphin swim. A few years ago we went to Blue Lagoon Island in Nassau & really enjoyed the dolphin excursion. My daughter would like to do it again but I haven't seen many reviews. We have our first two days planned & still trying to decide on the last day. Toss up between dolphin swim, visiting caves & zoo/aquarium. If you had to pick, which would you choose? Also, my daughter is 18. Thank you!

The dolphin swim is right at the Dockyard, very convenient, but its pretty pricey (200+ for a half hour), you get in the water with the dolphins and get to pet them, but they dont actually swim with you like they do at other places. Its great to do once, but if she has already done it somewhere else, then maybe something else. We did it twice, the first time was almost magical, the 2nd time was nice but nothing spectacular. The caves and the zoo/aquarium are fun. Remember the caves are 80 steps down and up!!

You would have two options for getting to the caves and the zoo, you could take the ferry from the dockyard to St George and then the bus to the caves, another bus to the zoo, then the bus to Hamilton and the ferry to the Dockyard. Or you could take the ferry to Hamilton and the bus to the caves, another to the zoo and then back to Hamilton.

Edited by pathubia

THANK YOU! you have been very helpful.. I can't wait to go on our adventure. Looking at a glass bottom boat ride and maybe a sunset catamaran cruise.. what ever we do, I'm sure we will have fun.. !! Can't wait!!:D:D:D:p

For a list of possible things to do, check out the link I provided earlier in this thread (post #2).

If you want to snorkel using a tour I'm sure your cruise line offers something. Or you can check out the companies that offer snorkeling excursions listed on this page : http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000163.htm . I can't make a personal recommendation because I don't snorkel.

Bermuda is nothing like Jamaica. Bermudians are friendly and welcoming...they treat you like you are a guest in their home. We feel as comfortable there as we do at home (maybe even more comfortable). It's easy to get around using their bus and ferry system.There's nothing wrong with Turks and Caicos, but we love going to Bermuda and have been traveling there regularly for more than 25 years.

We're not big on buying local arts and craft, but there is a crafts market as well as other shops with locally made merchandise at the Royal Naval Dockyard, where your ship will likely be docked. There is also a weekly street fair with include crafts vendors, Harbour Nights, held in Hamilton every Wednesday night in the summer.

For someone with mobility issues you might want to consider taking a private tour of the island from one of the many Blue Flag taxi drivers. Blue Flag drivers are certified tour guides.

HI! sounds like you have really done a lot in Bermuda. How are the caves? are they worth the effort on a short trip? Also, we want to go to a beach with beautiful sand and water. Which beach can you recomend? Horse shoe? We will be there on our 31st anniversary and we were thinking of going on a catamaran sunset tour as well but don't want to miss the street parade in Hamilton... Also, can you recommend a good outfitter for snorkeling for someone who is a novice?? WOW.. thats a lot of questions!! I am so excited about our trip!! Thank you for all of your suggestions!!

:D:p;):D

Swam with the dolphins

Hartley Helmet dive

Aquarium and Zoo

Jet Skiied

Catamaran ride

Crystal Caves

Been to beaches:

Elbow

Horseshoe Bay

Tobacco Bay

St Catherines

HI! sounds like you have really done a lot in Bermuda. How are the caves? are they worth the effort on a short trip? Also, we want to go to a beach with beautiful sand and water. Which beach can you recomend? Horse shoe? We will be there on our 31st anniversary and we were thinking of going on a catamaran sunset tour as well but don't want to miss the street parade in Hamilton... Also, can you recommend a good outfitter for snorkeling for someone who is a novice?? WOW.. thats a lot of questions!! I am so excited about our trip!! Thank you for all of your suggestions!!

:D:p;):D

Hi,

The caves are worth it if you are amazed with what mother nature can create. I did the Crystal cave 2 times ( with different people ) and unless I go to Bermuda with someone new again, I will not go again ( It took millions of years to create...so how much can it change in 2 or 3 years ;) )

Here is the link : http://www.caves.bm/crystalcave.html

Look at the pictures, if it interests you then GO..it's worth seeing once for sure.

Beach :

Yes Horseshoe is beautiful, pink sand, very wide and deep. Gradation in the water is ok but the waves can be rough. Elbow beach is also highly recommended. Take bus#7 from Dockyard, it goes near all the South shore beaches. Have a look at that : http://smu.gs/1pH4PwI rates for taxi. And shuttles are available for Horseshoe at 7$ per person per way.

If you want to snorkel with ease, I HIGHLY recommend Chloe, she is the owner and captain of Jessie James cruises :http://www.jessiejames.bm/snorkelling/ , she is highly recommended also on tripadvisor. She was so great with us :D

Street parade :

It's Harbor nights, only in Wednesday nights in Hamilton.

I went to Harbor Nights on 2 occasion because I was with different girlfriends

I did enjoy it both times. The later reviews are half and half...they say they are glad they went but would not do it again.

It is ( was almost 2 years ago ) a very good street fair. Lots of kiosk with handmade souvenirs, food, crafts, etc... Live entertainment on a big stage, the shops are open later, and a great festive atmosphere

If you have any other questions...you know where we are !

Have fun !

THANK YOU! you have been very helpful.. I can't wait to go on our adventure. Looking at a glass bottom boat ride and maybe a sunset catamaran cruise.. what ever we do, I'm sure we will have fun.. !! Can't wait!!:D:D:D:p

We did the glass bottom boat and it was fun. Don't book this on the ship. Just go to the Dockyard and pay cash for it. It will be half the cost.