Chicken in the Steak House...Lol!

I don't eat red meat either but we went on our honeymoon cruise on the valor and I had the chicken.

It was kinda gross being around all that meat though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lol! I think I'd be okay around the meat. I just don't eat it.

I'm also a tiny bit concerned that I won't like the chicken because it says rosemary infused. I think I was in a store once and walked past some rosemary and remembered it being so smelly and unappealing. Is the steakhouse like the MDR where you can ask for something different if you don't like it?

For our first couple cruises we refused to go to the steakhouse because it was an additional cost, but then we finally gave in and went. We are meat eaters, but for you I say it's still worth it… steak or not.

The bread they give you, it's rosemary or something, is heavenly. Its crispy and buttery and its like none other. Seriously, I know this sounds crazy, but I would pay the fee, just for that bread! As for the appetizers I am equally impressed with their lobster bisque. I never eat lobster bisque usually, but on vacation I like to try usual foods and it is once again, heavenly. I do eat steak, but I am not like a huge steak lover, I am always more into sides: they have wasabi mashed potatoes that are so unique tasting.

The desserts to me are just okay. The cheesecake is GIGANTIC, but it doesn't have that new york taste that I really like, its more vanilla tasting. The service at the steakhouse is 5 stars, I would say go on the first night so you can also get your free bottle of wine ;)

**Rosemary tastes different than it smells, its a really strong herb, so it is used sparingly.

Edited by MRSRN

For our first couple cruises we refused to go to the steakhouse because it was an additional cost, but then we finally gave in and went. We are meat eaters, but for you I say it's still worth it… steak or not.

The bread they give you, it's rosemary or something, is heavenly. Its crispy and buttery and its like none other. Seriously, I know this sounds crazy, but I would pay the fee, just for that bread! As for the appetizers I am equally impressed with their lobster bisque. I never eat lobster bisque usually, but on vacation I like to try usual foods and it is once again, heavenly. I do eat steak, but I am not like a huge steak lover, I am always more into sides: they have wasabi mashed potatoes that are so unique tasting.

The desserts to me are just okay. The cheesecake is GIGANTIC, but it doesn't have that new york taste that I really like, its more vanilla tasting. The service at the steakhouse is 5 stars, I would say go on the first night so you can also get your free bottle of wine ;)

Great news about the bread. DH and I are bread lovers! I've looked at the appetizer list and didn't really see anything I would like, but the sides sound good. Now that I look at it closer, I'm not sure DH would like any appetizers. Can you get the salads as your appetizer? DH loves Cesar and I'm a fan of the heart of iceberg.

I was 9 weeks pregnant on my last cruise and we went to the steakhouse despite the fact I could barely eat. I got the lobster ravioli but regretted not ordering the chicken. Normally I do eat steak but I didn't want to order well done steak. I could barely eat. But DH really enjoys the Steakhouse so I still felt it was worth it.

FWIW, I know my cousin orders the chicken in the steakhouse and she likes it.

Edited by Ciardasully

The bread they give you, it's rosemary or something, is heavenly. Its crispy and buttery and its like none other. Seriously, I know this sounds crazy, but I would pay the fee, just for that bread!

I'm with you. I absolutely LOVED that bread! I couldn't get enough of it.

Actually, you're only paying for the entree and gratuity. Appetizers and deserts are complimentary and unlimited. If arranged in advance through the MDR Maître D', you can even have them served in the dining room. On some other cruise lines, the entrees in the steakhouse are unlimited as well.

Is this really the case? I though that you were limited to one selection from each category. I held out for over 40 cruises without going to the steakhouse, thinking that it was silly to pay extra when we could get perfectly good food in the dining room. We went to the steakhouse on the Breeze last year with friends and I'm afraid that now I'll have to go at least once on every cruise! I know that we'll be going when we cruise (in 12 days!!) on the Sunshine and plan on taking our kids (17 & 19) when we go on the Dream in November. It's just such a nice splurge.

Is this really the case? I though that you were limited to one selection from each category. I held out for over 40 cruises without going to the steakhouse, thinking that it was silly to pay extra when we could get perfectly good food in the dining room. We went to the steakhouse on the Breeze last year with friends and I'm afraid that now I'll have to go at least once on every cruise! I know that we'll be going when we cruise (in 12 days!!) on the Sunshine and plan on taking our kids (17 & 19) when we go on the Dream in November. It's just such a nice splurge.

Yes, it's really the case. You're free to order as many appetizers or desserts as you want. There is no charge if you show up to the steakhouse and order them, as well. You're only paying for an entree and the gratuity.

On Princess, and possibly other lines, you can order as many entrees as you want, also.

The steak house would be totally worth it. Everything there is amazing. The thing that impressed my family most...and please don't laugh at me, but it was the baked potato. We knew the steak would be wonderful, but the potato was the the most perfectly cooked potato I have ever had. And don't get me started on the creamed spinach...baby spinach leaves wilted in a cream sauce.

Now please excuse me while I go and get a mop to sop up my puddle of drool. :)

Yes, it's really the case. You're free to order as many appetizers or desserts as you want. There is no charge if you show up to the steakhouse and order them, as well. You're only paying for an entree and the gratuity.

On Princess, and possibly other lines, you can order as many entrees as you want, also.

I never heard this to be true... I always go to the steakhouse when I cruise and we are told 1 app/1 salad/ 1 entree/ 2 sides/1 dessert....

Is this standard for CCL? The free wine first night I know ... Which is why I always go first night!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were me I would go so my DH could have a good steak. We just talking about this the other day. There is no where on land to go and have a good steak and only pay that amount. So we figure if we only go to the steak house once on the cruise it is well worth it. Go and enjoy your time together.

this question is slightly off topic, but to lovestocruise19, I hope you dont mind me asking here, as opposed to starting a new thread.

If you are cruising solo, and go to the steakhouse the first night, obviously the whole bottle of wine would "knock me out" lol, so if you have two or three glasses, you will still have about half a bottle left. Will they let you take it back to your room? Or is it, drink it or lose it?

I never heard this to be true... I always go to the steakhouse when I cruise and we are told 1 app/1 salad/ 1 entree/ 2 sides/1 dessert....

Is this standard for CCL? The free wine first night I know ... Which is why I always go first night!! Lol

The waitstaff suggests those options in order to provide a dinner that exceeds guest expectations. However, the official policy and procedure is to allow unlimited orders of appetizers, sides and desserts, as those items are served complimentary.

I am not a fan of salad, but when I have visited the steakhouse there was no problem substituting another appetizer for a salad. Usually I get lobster bisque and escargot. I've never tried the chicken, but the lamb chops, filet & lobster, and the ribeye have all been excellent entree choices. Once the chocolate sampler or cheesecake is served for dessert, I'm stuffed!

3 of us went to the steakhouse on the Breeze last week, however none of us ordered steak!:o I had enough beef the day before and just as one poster said, too much beef makes me ill.

I ordered the 10oz lobster and have to say I have had better. It was not "sweet" but salty - then again everyone has different tastes so others may enjoy it. The lobster came in 3 pieces and I could only eat 2 (I am small and have a small appetite). Son-in-law had the 3rd piece and he thought it was overcooked.

SiL ordered the lamb - it looked good and he said it was good. There appeared to be a lot of meat.

DD ordered the chicken, and found it to be too salty. Again, this is possibly just her taste, others may enjoy it.

SiL had the cheesecake. His opinion was that it was too soft and almost mousse-like, and it was HUGE!!!!

I had the cheese selection - they bring a board with slabs of cheese and offer you a sample (large sample!) of each to taste or you could select what you wanted.

Oh forgot to mention appetizers - I had lobster bisque, did not like it (again my taste), SiL had shrimp and it was just the same as served in the MDR, DD had ceaser salad and commented that it tasted a bit fishy, and it was the same in the buffet and in the dining room

We went to Italian restaurant for dinner on the last evening of the cruise and it was excellent, we wished we had gone there more often and passed on the steakhouse.

That's just our opinion...............

Great news about the bread. DH and I are bread lovers! I've looked at the appetizer list and didn't really see anything I would like, but the sides sound good. Now that I look at it closer, I'm not sure DH would like any appetizers. Can you get the salads as your appetizer? DH loves Cesar and I'm a fan of the heart of iceberg.

Yes, both are on the menu. You can order anything you like on menu. The onion soup and lobster bisque are unbelievably delicious. And even if you think you wouldn't like the appetizers, trust me, try them at least once. You will be hooked for sure.

DD had ceaser salad and commented that it tasted a bit fishy, and it was the same in the buffet and in the dining room

QUOTE]

ROFL... I can't resist. Caesar Salad is made with anchovies as one of the prime ingredients. :D

Oh forgot to mention appetizers - I had lobster bisque, did not like it (again my taste), SiL had shrimp and it was just the same as served in the MDR,

The shrimp cocktail I've had in the Steakhouse 3 times now is not even close to the shrimp cocktail they serve in the MDR.

Edited by MissKIA

We went to Italian restaurant for dinner on the last evening of the cruise and it was excellent, we wished we had gone there more often and passed on the steakhouse.

That's just our opinion...............

We actually walked out if the Italian place .. The food was awful! We are from NY/NJ so we know good... Great Italian food... I understand the lunch was ok at Cucina ...

I can't wait to sail again to go to the steakhouse for more than one app!!

As far as the wine ... Yes you can take it with you if u don't finish it... I always take with !

So last night I mentioned to DH that I'd like us to go to the steakhouse if we have enough money when we go on our cruise next year and he said "okay." Just like that! Lol! I thought he'd protest again. This will be something special to look forward to. I think I may wait until we are on board to make a reservation, though, because I'm not really sure which of the 12 days we will feel like going. I'm assuming you just call to make a reservation?

I'm assuming you just call to make a reservation?

Yes, you can call from your cabin and make a reservation.

Also, when you board the ship, there will be a table set up in the atrium to make reservations.

I wouldn't wait too long though. I once waited until boarding to make a reservation and couldn't get the evening I wanted.

Yes, you can call from your cabin and make a reservation.

Also, when you board the ship, there will be a table set up in the atrium to make reservations.

I wouldn't wait too long though. I once waited until boarding to make a reservation and couldn't get the evening I wanted.

Okay, thanks! I'm hoping with 12 days I won't strike out. Or perhaps we could figure out which day would work best and book ahead. I'm thinking a sea day would be best.