Stupid question. Peanut butter.

1lovehols

Sailed RCCL before & they had little smuckers peanut butter patties with the jams at breakfast. do ncl( epic)have similar or is it just in a big tub for all to spoon out?

Recently on the Epic. Always requested peanut butter and it was brought to me in a small bowl scooped out of a larger jar.

Been like that for several years now over at least a dozen cruises on various NLC ships.

The reason for the Peanut Butter not being put on the buffet is because of nut allergies. The Cruise lines don't want to get into trouble for cross contaminations of foods. Peanut allergies are very dangerous. That is what I was told when I asked on my last cruise.

I have seen little metal packages of peanut butter on Breakaway at O'Sheehan's at breakfast time, along with the little metal packages of jams and jellies. I think I vaguely remember seeing a similar thing on the buffet at breakfast. I do NOT remember ever seeing a big pot available for people to spoon out of, since that would most definitely be a cross contamination hazard.

NCL offers PB&J on the children's menu. So it may be that if you order peanut butter in a restaurant, they have a large jar on hand so they spoon some out in a little bowl for you.

On our recent trip on the Sun they had PB on the buffet in a bowl.

But last year on the Epic and the Gem we had to ask at the buffet or MDR.

And it took forever and they always brought 10 times what you needed...seemed wasteful so on the Sun we brought our own Jif mini packs then didn't need them :p:cool:

The reason for the Peanut Butter not being put on the buffet is because of nut allergies. The Cruise lines don't want to get into trouble for cross contaminations of foods. Peanut allergies are very dangerous. That is what I was told when I asked on my last cruise.

This is true. Unfortunately, a young man died on Epic a few years ago after a severe peanut allergy reaction. NCL has categorically denied this for their own reasons, but it appears that they changed their policy regardless. On the NCL cruises I've been on peanut butter is not on the buffet line, but is available by request.