Safety in Fort Lauderdale

Oceanwench

In today's paper the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported an almost 20 percent increase in crime in Fort Lauderdale in the first 6 months of this year.

And more than a 22 percent increase in violent crimes.

According to the report: Citywide, eight people were murdered, 41 sexually assaulted, 401 robbed and 251 were victims of aggravated assault.

This June there were 1,003 instances of car theft, larceny or burglaries of cars, homes, schools, hotels and businesses, compared to 810 last June.

In addition, the number of murders, sex attacks, robberies and aggravated assaults -- all characterized as "violent crimes" -- was 123 in June.

When I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area I was often surprised at the people who were out walking in what I considered unsafe areas after dark.

Sometimes families with young children were strolling in these areas.

People need to remember that just b/c it's Florida, doesn't mean it's safe everywhere.

Fort Lauderdale, like any big city, has its unsafe neighborhoods.

It's always good to ask a local -- someone at the check-in desk at your hotel, for instance -- about the area if you intend to walk around after dark.

As in ANY large city you MUST use caution and always be aware of your surroundings in every neighborhood.

But this is precisely the reason I constantly warn people to stay away from the State Road 84 hotels (motels and "ho"tels ;)). I have friends in the law enforcement community, I know all too well what goes on in some areas but there are always those who are lured in by a "free shuttle" or by saving a few dollars over a much safer area, such as SE 17th Street, and won't listen.

You can warn people, but if they refuse to listen and take the advice of the locals there isn't much you can do. :(

Thanks for the posts. We exercise caution whenever we're at home or in other cities. We have visited FL several times, and enjoyed riding the water taxis, and sometimes wondering if we should be waliking some of the places we were when we got off of them. There is crime anywhere you go. It's so sad that our country is like this, instead of being a great place, it's ruined by the thugs.

Archived